Welcome Guest!
 RECIPE DU JOUR
RDJ-- Golden Onions and Eggs on Toast, 09-11-12  RDJ
 Sep 12, 2012 19:46 PDT

_______________________________________
Volume 15      Number 168
US Library of Congress ISSN: 1530-3292

_______________________________________

Golden Onions and Eggs on Toast

1 1/4 pounds onions, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
6 hard-cooked large eggs
1 cup fat-skimmed chicken broth
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup low-fat milk
8 slices country-style bread (3/4 in. thick; 1/2 lb. total), toasted
Minced parsley
Salt

In an 11- to 12-inch frying pan over medium-high heat, stir onions and
butter often until onions are limp and lightly browned, about 10
minutes.

Meanwhile, shell eggs and chop.

Mix a little broth with flour to make a smooth paste, then add to
remaining broth and mix into onion mixture. Add milk and stir over high
heat until boiling, then stir about 2 minutes more.

Add eggs to sauce and mix well.

Spoon sauce onto toast. Sprinkle with parsley and add salt to taste.
Makes 4 servings.

Nutritional Information
Amount per serving
    Calories: 438
    Calories from fat: 35%
    Protein: 21g
    Fat: 17g
    Saturated fat: 6.9g
    Carbohydrate: 50g
    Fiber: 4.2g
    Sodium: 537mg
    Cholesterol: 337mg
_______________________________________

TAKE TWO
By Walt Mills

Two Hundred Years of Solitude

This past Sunday, my family joined with members of our sister church,
Emmanuel United Church of Christ, and their guests in celebration of 200
years of continuous fellowship in Tusseyville, a town so small its
existence is barely noted on maps of central Pennsylvania.

Two hundred years ago, this part of the country was still wilderness,
with only a few, mostly German, settlers and a recent history of
skirmishes with the natives. Religion was a powerful force in the lives
of the farmers who made up the first group of worshippers, and farmers
are still a large factor in the congregation.

The church is a two-story square brick structure that stands high on a
hill looking down on the few dozen homes in the vicinity. Its location
provides the congregation with cool breezes on all but the hottest
summer days, and the views of the surrounding ridges and forests is
spectacular. The small and regular white gravestones of the cemetery
climb the hill beside the church, and I cannot imagine a better place to
lie for eternity than on that hill in the solitude of the surrounding
valleys with the silent company of the dead.

Old cemeteries are among the happiest places I know, oddly, at least the
ones like this one that are neat and well maintained. They are like
little stories of a life and place, all tied up in a few lines, but
leaving room for the imagination. There are family tales and war
stories, stories of illness and happiness. When a child dies before a
parent, it is a terribly sad story. When the generations take their
place in the proper order, things are as we would like them to be. You
can read so much in the gravestones of an old cemetery.

We sat up in the balcony for the service and listened to the conference
minister who had come a long distance to be there. A number of former
pastors had also made the journey, and they stood and were introduced.
It was not like the first pastor, who had come on horseback twenty miles
on dirt roads to give the Sunday sermon. But it was impressive
nonetheless. We joined the congregation and guests for lunch, but did
not stay for the outdoor hymn sing and ice cream social. But before we
left, we climbed the hill and walked among the gravestones, and read the
familiar names and looked off at the hills.

Read more of Walt's writing at his blog:
http://americanimpressionist.wordpress.com/

(The above column is copyright © 2012 by Walter Mills. All rights
reserved worldwide. To contact Walt, address your emails to
awmi-@verizon.net ).
_______________________________________

Link of the Day:

Best ref site I've seen so far

iTools
http://itools.com/

"The best tools from across the web - Use one and switch to another tool
with a click. Tools to look up, to translate, to convert, to find
anything."

from Caroline
_______________________________________

Off The Shelf

Have you tried a new product lately? Want to share your opinion with
others? This is your chance to review new grocery items. Name the
product. Say what it is. We ask that you be specific about the qualities
you like or dislike without getting “long-winded.” We also ask you to
mention your city and state (or country) because all new products aren’t
available everywhere and some are just in test markets. Please, no
direct marketing items.

Put OTS or Off The Shelf in the subject line and send to
rrow-@gmail.com
___________________

OK, Saturday we were making hamburgers on the grill for dinner and I
went to get the buns to grill them and low and behold, they were all
moldy as was the bread that was in my bread drawer-that never happens.
Have no idea why everything decided to mold on the same day, but it did.
I was thinking that there had to be something in the house I could
substitute. Most called for a lot of work and time (as make your own)
and the burgers were done. Because of a well-timed commercial, I ended
up toasting frozen waffles and using them. They were great, the
indentations kept the condiments in the sandwich and the flavor was
wonderful. Will use them the next time and make sure we don't run out (
no chance of molding in the freezer) since this will become my go to
bread/bun replacement.

Louise K
_______________________________________

Do You Remember?