Welcome Guest!
 RECIPE DU JOUR
RDJ-- GNR, 09-21-12  RDJ
 Sep 24, 2012 05:57 PDT

_______________________________________
Volume 15     Number 177
US Library of Congress ISSN: 1530-3292

_______________________________________

It’s Good Neighbor Recipes Friday!!

Welcome to our Good Neighbor Recipes edition of Recipe du Jour! On
Fridays we turn over the recipe presentation to you guys to share and
showcase your favorite recipes with the RDJ neighbors. If you have any
questions about any of the recipes offered today, write an email to the
address given with that specific recipe. If you wish to submit your own
favorite, guidelines are at the end of this mailing. And don’t forget to
forward this mailing to all your friends!

Guidelines for submitting recipes are at the end of this mailing.

Table of Contents:

Baked Salmon in Foil
3-Cheese Mostaccioli Bolognese
Pork Tenderloin
Chunky Avocado Salsa
Tomato Quiche
Steak Roll-Ups
Crispy Roasted Potatoes with Thyme and Garlic
Cheesy Potato Chowder

and don’t forget that our sister ezine, Dessert du Jour, is featuring
Good Neighbor Desserts this and every Friday. To subscribe, address a
blank email to
dessert-s-@topica.com

For metric conversion, try
http://www.onlineconversion.com/cooking_volume.htm
_______________________________________

Baked Salmon In Foil

3 1/2 lb. Salmon
1 Lemon
Salt and Pepper
1 Tbs. Oil or Softened Butter

Lay a piece of silver foil, large enough to wrap the salmon in a very
loose parcel, on a baking tray. If the salmon is to be served hot,
grease the foil with the butter, or use the oil if serving the salmon
cold. Thinly slice the lemon and put about half on the foil. Put the
salmon on top, with a few slices of lemon inside and lay the rest of the
lemon along the top of the salmon. Season generously and wrap loosely,
making sure the edges are securely folded together so that no steam can
escape. Put into a medium oven, 350F, 180C, for 10 minutes per pound.
If serving hot, take it out of the oven and let it stand for a further
10 minutes. If serving cold, leave the salmon in the foil for two to
three hours. To serve: Unwrap the fish and gently pull off the skin.

Sue Cookinc-@aol.com
_______________________________________

I copied this recipe off a jar of Prego sauce and it was actually very
fast, easy and good. Any questions ... sharo-@q.com

3-Cheese Mostaccioli Bolognese - Serves 6

1 pound extra lean ground beef
2 cloves garlic -- minced
1 medium zucchini -- cut in half lengthwise and sliced
1 jar pasta sauce -- Prego® Traditional Pasta Sauce or 1 jar (1 lb. 9
oz.) Prego® Organic Tomato & Basil Pasta Sauce
16 ounces mostaccioli -- or ziti pasta, cooked and drained
1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese, part skim milk -- shredded
1 cup ricotta cheese, part skim milk
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese -- freshly grated

Cook beef and garlic in 12” skillet until beef is browned, stirring to
break up meat. Pour off fat. Add zucchini and cook until tender. Stir in
sauce.

Stir beef mixture, pasta, 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, ricotta cheese and
Parmesan cheese in 3-qt. shallow baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining
mozzarella cheese.

Bake at 400F for 20 min. or until hot.
_______________________________________

Pork Tenderloin

2 (1 -1/2 lb) pork tenderloins
1 tsp meat tenderizer
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
1/2 tsp lemon pepper
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 500F. Line 13x9 inch pan with aluminum foil.

Wash meat and pat dry with paper towels. Sprinkle tenderloins well with
meat tenderizer and then rub well with sauce.

Melt butter and slowly pour over meat. Sprinkle with lemon pepper.
Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.

Place in oven and roast 12 to 15 minutes. Do not cover. Turn off oven
and leave in oven for 45 minutes. Do not open the door until the time
is up.

Let meat cool slightly, wrap each tenderloin in plastic wrap and place
in refrigerator to cool.

Serve this pork tenderloin sliced and piled on sandwich rolls or buns
with your favorite condiments. serves 8

this recipe was in the latest American Profile. I haven't tried it but
will very soon. rambli-@yahoo.com
_______________________________________

This recipe came from one of the 'gossip rags' (magazines) found at the
checkout at grocery stores/walmarts. A friend gave me a stack of these
magazines and this recipe sounded so delicious. Lately the supermarkets
here have had avocados for $1 each, with some weeks being 2 avocados for
$1.   Sure is good.   Lisa B. kaits-@gmail.com

CHUNKY AVOCADO SALSA

3 plum tomatoes, diced
1/3 cup diced red onion
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
chopped, seeded Serrano chilies, to taste (I used 2 jalapenos)
minced garlic to taste (I used 1/2 Tbsp of jarred, minced)
3 large ripe Haas avocados
lime juice and Kosher salt to taste

Mix tomatoes, onions, cilantro, chilies, and garlic; set aside. Cut each
avocado in half, running knife around pit from end to end and back
again. Twist halves to free pit and pull apart. Cut halves into large
chunks; gently stir into tomato mixture. Season with lime juice and
Kosher salt to taste. Serves 6.
_______________________________________

Tomato Quiche
Serving Size : 6

1 cup chopped onion
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
4 large tomatoes -- peeled, seeded, chopped and drained
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
   1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
2 cups (8-ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese -- divided
1 (10-inch) unbaked pie pastry
4 eggs
1 1/2 cups light cream

In a skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. Add tomatoes, salt,
pepper and thyme. Cook over medium-high heat until liquid is almost
evaporated, about 10-15 minutes. Remove from heat.

Sprinkle 1 cup cheese into bottom of pie shell. Cover with tomato
mixture; sprinkle with remaining cheese.

In a mixing bowl, beat eggs until foamy. Stir in cream; mix well. Pour
into pie shell. Bake at 425F for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 325'; bake
40 minutes longer or until top begins to brown and a knife inserted near
the center comes out clean.

Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.

Pat K Chilipe-@yahoo.com
_______________________________________

Steak Roll-Ups

1/2 cup long-grain rice, uncooked
1/4 teaspoon thyme, crushed
1/4 teaspoon ground marjoram
1/4 cup sliced green onion, with green
1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
1 can (4 ounces) mushrooms, drained
2 tablespoons butter
2 pounds round steak, about 1/2-inch thick
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 envelope dry onion soup mix (1/4 cup)
1 cup water
1/3 cup cold water blended with 2 tablespoons flour

Cook rice according to package directions until tender; drain if
necessary. Stir in thyme and marjoram, green onion, green and red
pepper, mushrooms, and butter. Cut steak in 6 pieces; pound each piece
to about 6x4 inches.. Spread steaks with the cooked rice; roll up and
fasten with toothpicks. In a large heavy skillet, heat oil over medium
heat. Brown steak rolls; add soup mix and 1 cup water. Cover and simmer
for 1 1/2 hours. Stir in flour and water mixture. Cook, stirring, until
thickened. Serves 6.

Sue   Cookinc-@aol.com
_______________________________________

Crispy Roasted Potatoes with Thyme and Garlic

1 large garlic head, halved crosswise
4 sprigs fresh thyme
7 Tbsp olive oil, divided
6 russet potatoes, peeled and each cut into 4 equal pieces
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Preheat the oven to 450F. Place the garlic halves on a sheet of foil.
Set the thyme sprigs atop the garlic. Drizzle 1 tablespoon of oil over
the garlic and thyme, and then wrap them tightly in the foil. Set the
foil packet in a small baking dish and roast until the garlic is soft,
about 35 minutes. Open the foil packet and continue roasting on the foil
until the garlic is golden brown, about 10 minutes longer. Set aside.

Meanwhile, toss the potatoes with 3 tablespoons of the oil on a large
baking sheet then arrange the potatoes in a single layer and sprinkle
with salt and pepper. Bake for 20 minutes. Using a metal spatula, turn
the potatoes over. Drizzle with the remaining 3 tablespoons of oil.
Continue baking until the potatoes are crisp and dark golden brown on
all sides, about 25 minutes longer. Transfer the potatoes and thyme to a
platter. Serve with the roasted garlic.

Sue Cookinc-@aol.com
_______________________________________

Cheesy Potato Chowder

6 medium red potatoes (2 lb), unpeeled, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 carton (32 oz) reduced-sodium chicken broth (4 cups)
1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
4 medium green onions, chopped (1/4 cup)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 bag (12 oz) frozen broccoli cuts
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup fat-free (skim) milk
8 oz brick 2% milk reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded (2 cups)

In 5-quart Dutch oven, place potatoes; add just enough water to cover.
Heat to boiling. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 10 to 15 minutes or until
potatoes are very tender. Drain. Reserve 1 cup potatoes; return
remaining potatoes to saucepan. In small bowl, mash reserved potatoes
with fork; return to saucepan.

Stir in broth, salt and pepper. Heat to boiling. Add broccoli. Return to
boiling; cook uncovered 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to
medium.

In small bowl with wire whisk, stir flour into milk until well mixed.
Add milk mixture to potato mixture, stirring constantly. Cook over
medium heat, stirring frequently, until mixture thickens and boils. Stir
in cheese until melted and smooth. Stir in sour cream and green onions;
cook until thoroughly heated.

To serve, ladle soup into bowls.

Sue Cookinc-@aol.com
_______________________________________
_______________________________________

_______________________________________

rrow-@gmail.com    Use “GNR” and the title of your recipe as the
be able to use your recipe!

to any and all family and friends.

only.

mailto:rdj-sub-@topica.com

resubscribe from your new address.

mailto:rdj-unsu-@topica.com

Recipe du Jour is strictly an opt-in service. We do not sell, loan, or
give our subscribers’ addresses to anyone for any reason. Our features
are intended as entertainment only.

.