Welcome Guest!
 RECIPE DU JOUR
RDJ-- Kung Pao Chicken, 09-24-12  RDJ
 Sep 26, 2012 06:10 PDT

_______________________________________
Volume 15      Number 179
US Library of Congress ISSN: 1530-3292

_______________________________________

Kung Pao Chicken

1 tablespoon canola oil, divided
4 cups broccoli florets
1 tablespoon ground fresh ginger (such as Spice World), divided
2 tablespoons water
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1/4-inch strips
1/2 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
1 teaspoon cornstarch
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons coarsely chopped salted peanuts

Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
Add broccoli and 2 teaspoons ginger to pan; sauté 1 minute. Add water.
Cover; cook 2 minutes or until broccoli is crisp-tender. Remove broccoli
from pan; keep warm.

Heat remaining 2 teaspoons oil in pan; add remaining 1 teaspoon ginger,
crushed red pepper, and chicken. Cook 4 minutes or until chicken is
lightly browned, stirring frequently.

Combine broth and next 5 ingredients (through garlic) in a small bowl,
and stir with a whisk. Add broth mixture to pan; cook 1 minute or until
mixture thickens, stirring constantly. Return broccoli mixture to pan;
toss to coat. Sprinkle with peanuts. Makes 4 servings.

Nutritional Information
Amount per serving
    Calories: 239
    Calories from fat: 30%
    Fat: 7.9g
    Saturated fat: 1.1g
    Monounsaturated fat: 3.7g
    Polyunsaturated fat: 2.3g
    Protein: 30.9g
    Carbohydrate: 11.4g
    Fiber: 3g
    Cholesterol: 66mg
    Iron: 1.8mg
    Sodium: 589mg
    Calcium: 60mg
_______________________________________

Rich's Note:   Neologisms

I don’t know if they still do it, but for a few years the Washington
Post conducted a neologism contest where readers were invited to coin
new and humorous word meanings. The results became semi-viral emails
flashed around the country. I received such an email last week, thought
it was very funny, and decided to share it with you:

Once again, The Washington Post has published the winning submissions
to its yearly neologism contest, in which readers are asked to supply
alternative meanings for common words. The winners are:

1. Coffee (n.), the person upon whom one coughs.

2. Flabbergasted (adj.), appalled over how much weight you have
gained.

3. Abdicate (v.), to give up all hope of ever having a flat stomach.

4. Esplanade (v.), to attempt an explanation while drunk.

5. Willy-nilly (adj.), impotent.

6. Negligent (adj.), describes a condition in which you absentmindedly
answer the door in your nightgown.

7. Lymph (v.), to walk with a lisp.

8. Gargoyle (n), olive-flavored mouthwash.

9. Flatulence (n.) emergency vehicle that picks you up after you are
run over by a steamroller.

10. Balderdash (n.), a rapidly receding hairline.

11. Testicle (n.), a humorous question on an exam.

12. Rectitude (n.), the formal, dignified bearing adopted by
proctologists.

13. Pokemon (n), a Rastafarian proctologist.

14. Oyster (n.), a person who sprinkles his conversation with
Yiddishisms.

15. Frisbeetarianism (n.), (back by popular demand): The belief that,
when you die, your soul flies up onto the roof and gets stuck there.

Kudos to the Washington Post.

Rich can be reached at rrow-@gmail.com
_______________________________________

Link of the Day:

"Space - the final frontier..." These words dramatically launched the
starship Enterprise on its exciting voyage through the 23rd-century
universe, and into pop-culture history.

This site lays out a realistic roadmap to build a working version of the
Enterprise in the next 20 years. Obviously, it won't have warp drive or
transporters, but it could take us to Mars in just 90 days, and open up
the solar system for serious exploration.

The site has all the technical specs, physics calculations, engineering
schematics and cost analysis. You can help by getting involved in the
design process, funding plan or political strategy. Or you can just sit
back and imagine what it would be like to seek out new life and new
civilizations.

http://www.buildtheenterprise.org/

from Wendy
_______________________________________

Do You Remember?

True Love Ways
Buddy Holly

Yes you know why
why you and I
will by and by
know true love ways

Sometimes we'll sigh
sometimes we'll cry
And we'll know why
Just you and I
Know true love ways

Throughout the days
our true love ways
will bring us joy to share
with those who really care

Sometimes we'll sigh
Sometimes we'll cry
And we'll know why
Just you and I
Know true love ways
_______________________________________
_______________________________________

rrow-@gmail.com    Use “GNR” and the title of your recipe as the
be able to use your recipe!

to any and all family and friends.

only.

mailto:rdj-sub-@topica.com

resubscribe from your new address.

mailto:rdj-unsu-@topica.com

features are intended as entertainment only.

.