Welcome Guest!
 RECIPE DU JOUR
RDJ-- Cheddar Cheese and Olive Spread, 09-25-12  RDJ
 Sep 26, 2012 21:02 PDT

_______________________________________
Volume 15      Number 180
US Library of Congress ISSN: 1530-3292

_______________________________________

Spicy Cheddar Cheese and Olive Spread

8 ounces sharp Cheddar
8 ounces white extra sharp Cheddar
1/2 cup sliced green olives, coarsely chopped
1 (4 oz.) jar chopped pimientos, drained
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon hot sauce

Shred both cheeses into a large bowl; set aside. In another bowl, stir
together olives, pimientos, mayonnaise, vinegar, red pepper, cumin and
hot sauce.

Pour mixture over cheese and fold gently with a rubber spatula to blend;
avoid breaking cheese shreds into small pieces. Refrigerate for at least
1 hour to allow flavors to blend. Serve with crackers and vegetable
sticks. Makes 14 servings.

Nutritional Information
Amount per serving
    Calories: 203
    Fat: 18g
    Saturated fat: 9g
    Protein: 7g
    Carbohydrate: 1g
    Fiber: 0g
    Cholesterol: 37mg
    Sodium: 296mg
_______________________________________

TAKE TWO
By Walt Mills

The Good Companion

I have a friend I’ve never seen, but his voice speaks to me out of the
pages of his books. One of those books I’ve told you about before. It’s
called The Good Companions, and it is about a troupe of traveling actors
and musicians in the era before World War I. That novel is at or near
the top of my list of stories, and it made its young author famous in
England in the twenties. J.B. Priestley went on to write more than 100
books and plays, including Literature and Western Man, a book I turn to
every few years, especially when the world is spinning too fast and
things are shaking loose and falling.

The voice I hear when I open either The Good Companions or Literature
and Western Man is a bit old fashioned. The descriptions are long and
beautiful. The viewpoint is wide-ranging and expansive. His book on
literature, for instance, covers hundreds of authors, men and women, in
a dozen languages over a space of five hundred years. Yet he links them
all together, like someone who points out the constellations in a
brilliant sky full of stars.

Last night I began to reread Literature and Western Man for the third
time, and I immediately was enthralled by Priestley’s vision and voice.
It is like talking to a friend in a quiet place, maybe sitting together
high on a hill. And he is pointing out things to you across the valley
that you with your weaker eyesight had not noticed until he showed you.
And his own deep enthusiasm and humbleness before the beauty he is
describing kindles your own love for the things he is telling you about.

The Good Companions was one of the most popular novels of the last
century in England. I read that the book sold so fast that the publisher
had to race new copies to book stores in taxi cabs. Yet now, I don’t
think it is known by many on this side of the Atlantic. Literature and
Western man is probably even less well known. Still, I can hear his
good, brave, English voice when I hold his books in my hand, and I can
feel his friendship through the pages.

Read more of Walt's writing at his blog:
http://americanimpressionist.wordpress.com/

(The above column is copyright © 2012 by Walter Mills. All rights
reserved worldwide. To contact Walt, address your emails to
awmi-@verizon.net ).
_______________________________________

Link of the Day:

Online writing community

WritersCafe is an online community for sharing and reviewing homegrown
literature.

Just create an account using your email address or Facebook account and
you can start posting your work.

You'll have access to peer reviews, writing groups, practice prompts and
writing contests.

http://www.writerscafe.org/

from Wendy
_______________________________________

Off The Shelf

Have you tried a new product lately? Want to share your opinion with
others? This is your chance to review new grocery items. Name the
product. Say what it is. We ask that you be specific about the qualities
you like or dislike without getting “long-winded.” We also ask you to
mention your city and state (or country) because all new products aren’t
available everywhere and some are just in test markets. Please, no
direct marketing items.

Put OTS or Off The Shelf in the subject line and send to
rrow-@gmail.com
___________________

Recently I was introduced to Domino's Agave Nectar. It is a delicious
liquid sweetener with low glycemic index. It is made from the core of
the succulent agave plant. It works very well as a sugar substitute and
has a great flavor. I ate some homemade ice cream made with this and it
was wonderful. I live on the Mississippi Gulf Coast and have found this
product in Winn Dixie and Walmart stores. You can Google this and find
all the great attributes it has.

Dot coast-@cableone.net
_______________________________________

Do You Remember?

ANY WAY YOU WANT IT
The Dave Clark Five   1965
Dave Clark

Any way you want it
You can call me any day, hey-hey-hey
Any way you want it
You can always hear me say, hey-hey-hey

It's all right (it's all right)
It's all right (it's all right)
It's all right (it's all right)
It's all right (it's all)
Any way you want it
That's the way it will be

You don't want money
You don't want a diamond ring, hey-hey-hey
You say you want my lovin'
More than any other thing, hey-hey-hey

It's all right (it's all right)
It's all right (it's all right)

[...]