Welcome Guest!
 RECIPE DU JOUR
RDJ-- GNR, 09-28-12  RDJ
 Sep 30, 2012 11:14 PDT

_______________________________________
Volume 15     Number 183
US Library of Congress ISSN: 1530-3292

_______________________________________

It’s Good Neighbor Recipes Friday!!

Welcome to our Good Neighbor Recipes edition of Recipe du Jour! On
Fridays we turn over the recipe presentation to you guys to share and
showcase your favorite recipes with the RDJ neighbors. If you have any
questions about any of the recipes offered today, write an email to the
address given with that specific recipe. If you wish to submit your own
favorite, guidelines are at the end of this mailing. And don’t forget to
forward this mailing to all your friends!

Guidelines for submitting recipes are at the end of this mailing.

Table of Contents:

Rotel Beef Stew
Q&E Loaded Baked Potato Dip
Corn and Wild Rice Chowder
More Steak Roll-Ups
Easy Beef Barbecue
Pesto Pasta with Asparagus, Tomatoes & Mushrooms
Cheeseburger Macaroni
Sweet and Sour Meatloaf

and don’t forget that our sister ezine, Dessert du Jour, is featuring
Good Neighbor Desserts this and every Friday. To subscribe, address a
blank email to
dessert-s-@topica.com

For metric conversion, try
http://www.onlineconversion.com/cooking_volume.htm
_______________________________________

This is another "tweaked" recipe form a grocery store magazine. I leave
out the Rotel tomatoes and green chilies if the grandbaby is eating.
This is not a hot-with-peppers dish, but it does leave a bit of a tingle
from a mild/medium heat. Easily adjusted, either way. Lisa B.
kaits-@gmail.com

ROTEL BEEF STEW

1 - 28 oz pre-prepared beef tips and gravy (Hormel)
1 - 10.5 oz Rotel diced tomatoes and green chilies, drained
1 - 12 oz bag frozen mixed vegetables
1 - 10.75 oz can tomato bisque soup
3 cups mashed potatoes
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
2 Tbsp chopped green onions

In a pot add beef/gravy, Rotel, frozen veggies, and soup until
completely combined and heated through. Place stew in 6 individual
serving dishes. Mound mashed potatoes into stew to form a top. Place in
a preheated 350F oven for 15-20 minutes to heat through. During last 5
minutes of cooking, sprinkle cheese over top and return to oven to melt.
Sprinkle green onions over each before serving. Makes 6 servings.
_______________________________________

Q&E Loaded Baked Potato Dip
About 4 cups

16 ounces sour cream
16 slices (12-ounce package) bacon, cooked and crumbled
8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (about 2 cups)
1/3 cup thinly sliced scallions or chives

Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and refrigerate for at least
one hour before serving to allow flavors to meld together. Garnish with
extra shredded cheese, crumbled bacon, and chopped chives.

Serve with your favorite pretzel, bagel or pita crisps. Good with
veggies too if you are trying to be healthy,

Dip can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to
1 week.

Why indulge only at dinner? From the Brown Eyed Baker via dsi-@aol.com

_______________________________________

AHHH! Beautiful Fall Days are finally here in the Valley of the Sun ...
in other words our triple digit temps (hopefully) are over for 2012.
This is a really good chowder recipe that will give you comfort without
a heavy waist-line debt to pay. Enjoy ... sharo-@q.com

Corn and Wild Rice Chowder

1        package long grain & wild rice pilaf, (Note: I use Uncle
Ben's)
2        pounds frozen corn -- thawed
2        cans chicken broth -- divided
3        tbsp all-purpose flour
1        onion -- chopped
1/2     cup carrots -- peeled and finely diced
1 1/2 cups skim milk, (Note: I use 1 cup skim milk and 1/2 cup fat
free half & half)
             salt and pepper -- to taste

Prepare the wild rice according to the instructions, omitting any oil
and salt; set aside.

Combine the corn, 1 can chicken broth, and flour in a food processor.
Process until the corn is thickened or the mixture is pureed.

In a large non-stick pot coated with non-stick cooking spray, sauté the
onion and carrots until the vegetables are tender (about 5 minutes).

Add the corn mixture, wild rice, and the remaining can of chicken broth.
Cook for 10 minutes or until very well heated.

Add the milk and continue cooking until hot. Season with salt and
pepper.
_______________________________________

ONE of the things I enjoy about RDJ is its consistency! The issues
always appear or an explanation of absence lets readers know what's
happening. Getting the GNR on Monday lets me know the rest of the world
also has obligations, moments of insanity, and surprise plans that spice
(rather than spoil) our lives and I don't need to beat myself up for not
having everything done on schedule. It's sometimes a crazy world, and it
seems there are fewer things we can really count on being done correctly
and reliably! Whatever the circumstances, I appreciate the dedication
that goes into RDJ and look forward to the different topics. ...so THANK
YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. warydr-@gmail.com

The Steak Roll-Ups submitted by Crazycookingme on Friday reminded me of
a recipe that I haven't fixed for quite some time...

MORE Steak Roll-Ups

1 pkg flank steaks
1 large potato, grated
2 carrots, grated
1 stick butter
1 can mushroom soup + 1/2 can milk
1 can celery soup + milk (optional - if you need to s-t-r-e-t-c-h the
gravy)
cooked rice or noodles

If the steaks are rather large pieces, I cut them in half. Season them
with your usual seasoning and dredge in flour. Mix the grated potatoes
and carrots together and spread over the pieces. (Here, you could add
peppers, onions, mushrooms or whatever you'd like - adjusting the
"stuffing") Roll them up and either fasten them with toothpicks or tie
them with string. Put in a baking dish, cut up a stick of butter around
the pieces, cover, and bake in a 325° oven for about an hour. Open
soup(s) and mix with milk. Remove dish from oven and drizzle the soup
into the melted butter and over the steaks. Stir slightly and return to
oven without the lid. Bake for 15-30 minutes until soup is hot and has
begun to thicken.

REMOVE STRING AND/OR TOOTHPICKS...the steaks will hold their shape.
Serve over rice or cooked noodles.
_______________________________________

Sue has been doing the lion's share lately, so I feel like I better step
up to the plate with some recipes. questions? west-@aol.com

Easy Beef Barbecue

3-4 Lb. inexpensive beef roast
1 jar Greek style pepperoncini, sliced
1 package of French onion soup mix

Place meat in crockpot and sprinkle with soup mix. Pour pepperoncini
(with liquid) over the meat. Cook all day on low heat.

Remove meat and shred. Pour liquid into a measuring cup or other
container and refrigerate.

Remove fat from the liquid and return to the shredded meat. Reheat and
serve over crusty bread or rolls
_______________________________________

One of my favorite quick pasta dishes is angel hair pasta with pesto
sauce. We buy the jarred pesto at Sam's and then tweak it a little -
sometimes extra garlic, sometimes Parmesan, etc. I decided to use some
leftover vegetables in my pasta and it was delicious - and a very
healthy dinner! kitty-@yahoo.com

Pesto Pasta with Asparagus, Tomatoes & Mushrooms

1/2 lb. angel hair pasta
3 Tbsp prepared pesto (or make your own)
Asparagus, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces (I used about 15 spears)
Grape tomatoes, 12-20
2-3 large button mushrooms, sliced
2 tsp. olive oil
Parmesan cheese, grated

Start water for pasta first and cook pasta while the vegetables are
grilling.

Coat grill pan with olive oil and add asparagus. Cook until asparagus
starts to soften, about 5 minutes. Add grape tomatoes. Cook vegetables
another 3-4 minutes to brown. Remove from pan. (If tomatoes start to
break open, remove them from pan sooner.)

Separately, in a small saute' pan, saute mushrooms in 2 tsp olive oil
until liquid cooks out of mushrooms and they begin to brown. Remove from
pan.

Boil pasta and drain, reserving 1/2 cup pasta water. Add pesto and
reserved pasta water to pasta and toss.

Add in the grilled vegetables. Sprinkle with grated Parmesan.
_______________________________________

Cheeseburger Macaroni

1 lb lean ground beef
1 medium onion chopped
salt and pepper to taste
8 oz uncooked macaroni
1 small can of tomato paste
1/2 lb shredded cheese (cheddar or any favorite)
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp barbecue seasoning

In a large skillet, saute beef, onion and spices in small amount of oil.
Stir in tomato paste. Add uncooked macaroni and enough hot water to
cover. Stir well. Cover skillet and simmer until macaroni is done.

Add cheese on top in one layer. Remove pan from heat and cover, let set
for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.

This was in our local newspaper and I fixed it for dinner.
rambli-@yahoo.com
_______________________________________

Sweet and Sour Meatloaf

1 15 ounce can tomato sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup vinegar
1 teaspoon prepared mustard
2 pounds lean ground beef
1 pound ground pork
2 eggs, slightly beaten
2 small onions, minced
1/2 cup fine soft bread crumbs
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Mix the first four ingredients in a small bowl. This is the sauce. Mix
the other ingredients and a cup of the sauce in a large bowl. Place the
mixture in a 2 quart loaf dish. Press into a loaf, with a raised center
so that there is space for the fat to collect. Pour 1/4 to 1/2 cup sauce
over the loaf. Bake at 375F for 1 hour 15 minutes, basting with 1/4 cup
sauce after 30 minutes. Makes one juicy loaf.

Sue Cookinc-@aol.com
_______________________________________
_______________________________________

_______________________________________

rrow-@gmail.com    Use “GNR” and the title of your recipe as the
be able to use your recipe!

to any and all family and friends.

only.

mailto:rdj-sub-@topica.com

resubscribe from your new address.

mailto:rdj-unsu-@topica.com

Recipe du Jour is strictly an opt-in service. We do not sell, loan, or
give our subscribers’ addresses to anyone for any reason. Our features
are intended as entertainment only.

.