Welcome Guest!
 RECIPE DU JOUR
RDJ-- Chicken w/Lime Sauce, 10-04-12  RDJ
 Oct 04, 2012 05:46 PDT

_______________________________________
Volume 15      Number 187
US Library of Congress ISSN: 1530-3292

_______________________________________

Chicken with Lime Sauce

4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons olive oil
Cooking spray
3/4 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1 tablespoon brown sugar
3 tablespoons lime juice, divided
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon butter

Place each chicken breast half between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic
wrap; pound to 1/4-inch thickness using a meat mallet or small heavy
skillet. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper.

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over
medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook 4 minutes on each side or until
browned. Remove from pan; keep warm.

Add chicken broth, sugar, 2 tablespoons juice, and mustard to pan; cook
over medium heat, scraping pan to loosen browned bits.

Combine water and cornstarch in a small bowl. Add cornstarch mixture to
pan; stir well with a whisk. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; cook
1 minute or until sauce thickens slightly. Whisk in remaining 1
tablespoon lime juice and butter, stirring until butter melts. Return
chicken to pan; simmer 2 minutes or until chicken is thoroughly heated.
Makes 4 servings.

Nutritional Information
Amount per serving
    Calories: 260
    Calories from fat: 26%
    Fat: 7.5g
    Saturated fat: 2.7g
    Monounsaturated fat: 3.1g
    Polyunsaturated fat: 0.8g
    Protein: 40.7g
    Carbohydrate: 5.4g
    Fiber: 0.1g
    Cholesterol: 106mg
    Iron: 1.8mg
    Sodium: 382mg
    Calcium: 32m
_______________________________________

Link of the Day

Traffic.com
http://www.traffic.com/

"Real time traffic alerts and traffic reports. View online interactive
traffic maps for traffic jam, traffic school and local road conditions.
Forget the grind. Take control of your commute with FREE, real-time
traffic information for your daily drives. Have the pulse of the road at
your fingertips, when and where you need it."

from Caroline
_______________________________________

Food For Thought

We’re interested in knowing what you read, think about, watch, and
listen to. This is a chance to share your thoughts with thousands of
Recipe du Jour readers, the same Good Neighbors who have shared their
favorite recipes with you over the years. Think of it as a conversation
with a friend over the backyard fence about the book you just finished,
the story you can’t forget, your favorite movie or television episode or
whatever.

Send your submissions to rrow-@gmail.com   with Food For Thought as
the subject. If you wish to include your email address, please do. Keep
your comments to under two hundred words, but don’t feel obligated to
write more than a few sentences. We also ask that you steer clear of
religion, politics, and products or services that you sell.

Depending on the number of submissions received, your offering might not
be posted until a later issue. Feedback is welcomed and encouraged.
Enjoy.
___________________

I just finished reading Those Who Save Us by Jenna Blum - an absolutely
heart rending book about Germany in 1939 and what transpired during the
Holocaust in Germany - it is somewhat graphical but amazingly candid
about what life was like. I loaned the book to a friend to read but if
I recall the author is a professor at a University and worked with
Steven Spielberg on Schindlers List - it may be somewhat
autobiographical based on the authors background and profession - she
has done extensive research of the survivors of this time. Regardless it
is an amazing book and lest we forget (or never knew) it is worth
reading. I am not Jewish but have many friends who are and I was
painfully ignorant of many of the things that transpired in this book.
It flashes back and forth from 1939-44 to present day in the early 2000
about the history of a mother and daughter about the paths each takes
and how this has affected both their lives dramatically.

Another good read is JA Jance's newest, Judgement Call, the Joanna
Brady sheriff series that takes place in southern Arizona - part of a
series which explores the death many years ago of her father who was
also a Sheriff in Bisbee, AZ

Lin Romberg
____________________

I, too, share "Venting Shirley"'s dismay over the lengthy recipes that
appear at various places or on TV shows. My five-foot shelf of cookbooks
has many old volumes that have simple basic recipes that are flavourful.
The black loose-leaf recipe that my late wife and I assembled over our
55 years together has the real "keepers" and only a few have more than
eight ingredients -- our dark and light Christmas cakes are exceptions.
I realize that many families do not have the time to "cook from scratch"
but using boxes or cans of mixes, etc., seems to detract from the art of
cooking. However, I do confess to occasionally using a can of cream of
mushroom soup to make "Festive Pork Chops". ;-)

Jack Poulter
____________________

Tell Shirley to look for a cook book "5 in 10" Not more than 5
ingredients to cook in less than 10 minutes. Their motto is "If it takes
longer to cook it than to eat it, forget it"

Henri
_______________________________________

rrow-@gmail.com    Use “GNR” and the title of your recipe as the
be able to use your recipe!