Welcome Guest!
 RECIPE DU JOUR
RDJ-- Pumpkin Corn Chowder, 10-18-12  RDJ
 Oct 18, 2012 06:48 PDT

_______________________________________
Volume 15      Number 199
US Library of Congress ISSN: 1530-3292

_______________________________________

Pumpkin Corn Chowder

2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 small onion, minced
1 (10-ounce) package frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
1 (16-ounce) can pumpkin
2 cups water
2 chicken bouillon cubes
1 tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 cups half-and-half

Melt butter in a Dutch oven; add onion, and saute until tender. Add
corn, and cook, stirring occasionally, 2 to 3 minutes.

Stir in pumpkin and next 5 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat,
and simmer 5 minutes. Stir in half-and-half, and cook until thoroughly
heated (do not boil). Pack in a thermos. Makes about 6 servings.
_______________________________________

Link of the Day

The Internet Archive
http://archive.org/index.php

"Internet Archive is a non-profit digital library offering free
universal access to books, movies & music, as well as 150 billion
archived web pages."

from Caroline
_______________________________________

Food For Thought

We’re interested in knowing what you read, think about, watch, and
listen to. This is a chance to share your thoughts with thousands of
Recipe du Jour readers, the same Good Neighbors who have shared their
favorite recipes with you over the years. Think of it as a conversation
with a friend over the backyard fence about the book you just finished,
the story you can’t forget, your favorite movie or television episode or
whatever.

Send your submissions to rrow-@gmail.com   with Food For Thought as
the subject. If you wish to include your email address, please do. Keep
your comments to under two hundred words, but don’t feel obligated to
write more than a few sentences. We also ask that you steer clear of
religion, politics, and products or services that you sell.

Depending on the number of submissions received, your offering might not
be posted until a later issue. Feedback is welcomed and encouraged.
Enjoy.
___________________

I finally managed to finish reading J.K. Rowling’s much anticipated
first “adult” book, “The Casual Vacancy”. I really didn’t enjoy it, and
I’m a die-hard Harry Potter fan.   On page 299 (out of about 500), she
starts the action – everything up until then was pretty much an
introduction to the characters and setting the stage. By the time
everything happens in the end, I was just reading to finish the book and
none of the family implosions and other drama moved me at all. I’ll
wait for my turn at the library for any future books (unless she starts
another series about Harry’s kids).

Kim Maurer
____________________

I am a prolific reader, and read all types of books, mostly fiction,
except romance-types. I average 2-3 a week. A couple of weeks ago I
decided to try a new genre that I hadn’t experienced – namely, a
“zombie” book. I chose a trilogy by Z. A. Recht, the Morningstar Saga.
The three books are Plague of the Dead, Thunder and Ashes and Survivors.
And I didn’t read them – I downloaded the three from Audible.com and am
listening to them. I’m about 2/3 way through the last book, Survivors.

Much to my delight, it’s really an interesting tale. The word “zombie”
is not used in the books, but rather “shamblers” and “sprinters.”
Sprinters are infected by the Morningstar virus, still human, but crazed
and bloodthirsty; Shamblers are dead Sprinters come back to life.
There are basically two stories going on simultaneously; one group from
the east coast is headed west, and one from the west coast headed east,
both groups headed for Omaha, NE to a Level 4 biological lab, hoping to
develop a vaccine (not a cure, because it’s a virus). It’s an
apocalyptic tale, too, with all the drama that goes with that.

A little research revealed that Zachary Allen (Z.A.) Recht died in 2009
at home at age 29. The cause of his death was not released outside the
family.

Jerry in SC
_______________________________________

rrow-@gmail.com    Use “GNR” and the title of your recipe as the