Welcome Guest!
 RECIPE DU JOUR
RDJ-- GNR, 10-19-12  RDJ
 Oct 19, 2012 20:31 PDT

_______________________________________
Volume 15     Number 200
US Library of Congress ISSN: 1530-3292

_______________________________________

It’s Good Neighbor Recipes Friday!!

Welcome to our Good Neighbor Recipes edition of Recipe du Jour! On
Fridays we turn over the recipe presentation to you guys to share and
showcase your favorite recipes with the RDJ neighbors. If you have any
questions about any of the recipes offered today, write an email to the
address given with that specific recipe. If you wish to submit your own
favorite, guidelines are at the end of this mailing. And don’t forget to
forward this mailing to all your friends!

Guidelines for submitting recipes are at the end of this mailing.

Table of Contents:

Cheese Meat Loaf
Pumpkin Bacon Waffles
Spaghetti Salad
Southwest Style Creamy Corn Chowder
Jalapeno Corn Muffins
Bratwurst, Sauerkraut and Bean Casserole
Carrot Soup
Parmesan Pork Cutlets
Mexican White Sauce (a dip)

and don’t forget that our sister ezine, Dessert du Jour, is featuring
Good Neighbor Desserts this and every Friday. To subscribe, address a
blank email to
dessert-s-@topica.com

For metric conversion, try
http://www.onlineconversion.com/cooking_volume.htm
_______________________________________

A favorite every time! If you're not feeding a crowd, freeze one loaf
(either before or after baking) for later use.
Sue Cookin-@aol.com

Cheese Meat Loaf
Yield: 25 slices

2-1/2 pounds ground beef
1 cup grated Cheddar cheese
2/3 cup chopped onion
3 tablespoons chopped green bell pepper
2-1/2 cups dry bread crumbs
1 tablespoon salt
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
Dash garlic salt
3 eggs, beaten
2-1/2 cups tomato puree

Preheat the oven to 350F.

In a large bowl, mix together the beef, cheese, onion, green pepper,
bread crumbs, salt, thyme, and garlic salt. Combine the eggs and tomato
puree and blend into the meat mixture. Turn into two 8-inch by 4-inch
loaf pans. Bake for 1 hour.
_______________________________________

DID YOU KNOW?

_______________________________________

Pumpkin Bacon Waffles With Pumpkin Sauce
Makes 4

2 cups Jiffy Baking Mix
2 eggs
1/4 cup milk
1 1/2 cups Pumpkin Pie Mix
1 tablespoon honey
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
2 tablespoons Oil
8 slices Cooked Bacon (crumbled)
S a u c e:
1/2 cup Pumpkin Pie Mix
1/2 cup Cinnamon Applesauce
3 tablespoons Whipped Cream Cheese
1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon

In a mixing bowl combine baking mix, eggs, milk, pumpkin pie mix, honey,
oil and spices.

Whisk together until well combined, and then gently stir in the crumbled
bacon.

Heat your waffle iron, while you wait placed the sauce ingredients into
a small sauce pan over medium heat and whisk until smooth. Cook the
sauce until warm then turn down to low while you cook the waffles.

When the waffles are ready enjoy them by spooning the sauce over the
top. Let me just say YUMM-O!

By Amy Jeanroy via Wendy dsi-@aol.com
_______________________________________

Rich's Note:   Cloud Atlas

I picked up a copy of the book Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell because I
saw a trailer for the film and was impressed with the visuals and the
cast. I wish I could say nice things about the book, but so far I’m
bored with it. Obviously the writer is talented, but I am an impatient
reader and prefer a story that is propelled along rather than one that
saunters.

The first section, written in journal form, deals with a man waiting on
an island near New Zealand while the ship on which he is traveling is
repaired. We’re talking 19th century. We get a history of sorts about
the Maori and our protagonist reluctantly helps a native stow away when
the repaired ship departs. I’m not sure what else might have happened
because the narrative stops abruptly in mid-sentence. This could be a
printing error by the publisher or it could be intended.

The second section concerns a not very likeable young composer, again in
the 19th century who makes his way to Belgium to leech off of a
semi-famous retired composer. The language in this section helps move
the story a bit faster, but it’s still slow, very slow; and I find I
don’t really care about any of the characters I’ve met so far.

I think I’m going to give up before I get to the third section. But
wait, let me check Wikipedia.

<pause>

After checking Wikipedia, I’m sure of two things: First, the narrative
stopping mid-sentence was intentional and, second I’m not going to
finish reading this book. It just doesn’t sound like my type of novel
and I don’t care how many awards it received. I may rent the film when
it comes out on DVD, but unless I hear stellar reviews I doubt I’ll be
rushing to the theater to see it there.

Rich can be reached at ri-@recipedujour.com
_______________________________________

This is always well-received at potluck dinners. Lisa B.
kaits-@gmail.com

SPAGHETTI SALAD

16 oz spaghetti, cooked, drained well, cooled completely (can use
whole-wheat spaghetti)
1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, and diced
2 tomatoes, diced
2 green onions, sliced
1 squash, washed and diced
1 zucchini, washed and diced
1/2 cup sliced green or black olives
2/3 cup Zesty Italian vinaigrette, or your favorite vinaigrette
1/3 cup mayonnaise or Miracle Whip
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper

In a large bowl, combine spaghetti and vegetables; set aside. In a
medium bowl, combine vinaigrette, mayo, salt & pepper. Pour over salad
in bowl and toss to coat well. Refrigerate several hours or overnight
for flavors to meld. Serves 6.
_______________________________________

A tummy warming soup even kids like !! "Toss everything into a slow
cooker and you'll have the easiest, and cheesiest, corn chowder!" From
lou3-@webtv.net

Southwest Style Creamy Corn Chowder

1/4 cup white sugar
4 cups fresh corn kernels ( or undrained whole kernel )
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
1/2 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
1/2 cup milk
1 cup chicken broth
2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 slices bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
2 tablespoons ground black pepper

Place sugar, corn, cream cheese, Mexican cheese, milk, chicken broth,
celery, garlic, bacon, and pepper into a slow cooker. Cook on High for 1
hour, then reduce heat to Low and cook for an additional 2 1/2 hours.

** I usually just do this on the stove top and brown the bacon first.
_______________________________________

Jalapeno Corn Muffins

room temperature butter
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1/4 cup sugar
1 TBL baking powder
1 tsp salt
4 large eggs
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup corn oil
2 TBL minced seeded jalapeno chilies
2 cups fresh corn kernels or frozen thawed (about 9 ounces)

Butter 12 cup muffin pan. Whisk flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder
and salt in medium bowl.   Whisk eggs, milk, oil and jalapenos in large
bowl. Add dry ingredients to egg mixture, stirring until evenly
moistened (do not over mix).   Fold in corn kernels.

Divide batter among muffin cups. Bake in 375F oven about 25 minutes
until golden, test center with tooth pick.

jodie rambli-@yahoo.com
_______________________________________

Great for October Fest. Easy and quick to prepare. Dot
coast-@cableone.net

Bratwurst, Sauerkraut and Bean Casserole

1 pound bratwurst sausages
1 32 ounce package or jar sauerkraut
1 pinch celery salt
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 15 ounce can baked beans

Preheat oven to 350F. Cook bratwurst in a skillet over medium-high heat
just until nicely browned on the outside. Spread sauerkraut in the
bottom of a 9x11 casserole dish, leaving a 2-inch margin at the edges.
Sprinkle celery salt and brown sugar over the sauerkraut. Place the
sausages on top. Pour the beans around the outer edge of the
sauerkraut. Cover the dish with a lid or aluminum foil. Bake 45
minutes in the preheated oven until bratwurst links are cooked through.
Serves 4.
_______________________________________

This really hits the spot on cool winter days an is good for calorie
cutters as it's thickened by the natural starch from the carrots and a
potato -- not cream! by Danilo Alfaro via Wendy dsi-@aol.com

Carrot Soup

1 lb fresh carrots
1 medium Russet (or other starchy) potato
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 medium onion, peeled and roughly chopped
1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 qt vegetable broth or stock
Kosher salt and ground white pepper, to taste

Peel the carrots, then trim the top and bottom ends. Cut carrots into
(roughly) same-sized pieces, about 1/2 inch to 1 inch thick. Peel the
potato and cut it into pieces about the same size as the carrots.

In a heavy-bottomed soup pot, heat the butter over a low-to-medium heat.
Add the onion, garlic and carrots and cook for 2-3 minutes or until the
onion is slightly translucent, stirring more or less continuously. Add
the wine and cook for another minute or two or until the wine is reduced
by about half. Add the stock and the potato.

Increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and
simmer for 15 minutes or until the carrots and potatoes are soft enough
that they can easily be pierced with a knife being careful not to let
them get mushy.

Remove from heat and purée in a blender, working in batches if
necessary.

Return puréed soup to pot and bring to a simmer again, adding more broth
or stock to adjust the thickness if necessary. Season to taste with
Kosher salt and white pepper.

Tip: Use care when processing hot items in a blender as the hot steam
can sometimes blow the blender lid off. Start on a slow speed with the
lid slightly ajar to vent any steam, then seal the lid and increase the
blending speed.
_______________________________________

Parmesan Pork Cutlets

1/2 cup flour
2 eggs
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
3/4 cup bread crumbs
4 thin boneless pork cutlets (or cook longer if thicker)
salt and pepper to taste
2 Tbs olive oil, divided
2 Tbs butter, divided

Set out three shallow dishes or plates or pie pans. Put the flour in one
dish, the eggs in another, and the bread crumbs and cheese the third.

Mix up the eggs a bit with a fork. Stir the bread crumbs and cheese
together.

Salt and pepper the pork chops to taste while you heat 1 Tbs of oil and
1 Tbs of butter in a frying pan over medium heat. When the butter is
foaming, dredge a pork chop in the flour, then egg, the bread crumbs and
lay in the frying pan. Fry till browned and cooked through.

Repeat but don't crowd the chops. You might need to do them in two
batches. Cook about 5 minutes total for thin chops, turning the chops
over halfway through.

Sue Cookinc-@aol.com
_______________________________________

When I mentioned finding my old recipe file box and named Mexican white
sauce as one of the recipes I was glad to get back, a few of you
requested that I share it. It's just a basic dip recipe that I've
tweaked a bit. No big deal, but I like it. And, no, I don't know why
they call it a sauce instead of a dip. -- Rich

Mexican White Sauce

1 cup Miracle Whip (no substitutes)
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp crushed red pepper
1/2 tsp oregano

Mix all ingredients thoroughly. Refrigerate for 24 hours to blend and
develope flavors.

Serve with tortilla chips or fresh veggies. Makes about 1 1/2 cups dip.
_______________________________________
_______________________________________

_______________________________________

rrow-@gmail.com    Use “GNR” and the title of your recipe as the
be able to use your recipe!

to any and all family and friends.

only.

mailto:rdj-sub-@topica.com

resubscribe from your new address.

mailto:rdj-unsu-@topica.com

Recipe du Jour is strictly an opt-in service. We do not sell, loan, or
give our subscribers’ addresses to anyone for any reason. Our features
are intended as entertainment only.

.