Welcome Guest!
 RECIPE DU JOUR
RDJ-- Swiss Enchiladas, 10-20-12  RDJ
 Oct 20, 2012 15:54 PDT

_______________________________________
Volume 15      Number 201
US Library of Congress ISSN: 1530-3292

_______________________________________

Just The Facts:

_______________________________________

Swiss Enchiladas

Cooking spray
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
2 cups chopped roasted skinless, boneless chicken breast (about 2
breasts)
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 (4.5-ounce) cans diced green chiles, undrained
1 (14.5-ounce) can petite diced tomatoes, undrained
2 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 (8-inch) fat-free flour tortillas
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese, divided

Preheat oven to 350F.

Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with
cooking spray. Add onion; cook 5 minutes or until tender, stirring
occasionally. Stir in chicken, garlic, chiles, and tomatoes. Reduce
heat, and simmer 7 minutes or until liquid evaporates. Set aside.

Combine milk and flour in a small saucepan over medium-high heat; cook 5
minutes or until mixture thickens, stirring constantly with a whisk.
Stir in salt.

Warm tortillas according to package directions. Spoon about 1/2 cup
chicken mixture and about 2 1/2 tablespoons cheese down center of each
tortilla; roll up. Arrange filled tortillas in the bottom of a 13 x
9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Pour milk mixture over
tortillas, and top evenly with remaining 1 cup cheese. Bake at 350F for
25 minutes or until cheese is bubbly. Remove from oven.

Preheat broiler.

Broil casserole for 3 minutes or until cheese begins to brown. Makes
about 6 servings.

Nutritional Information
Amount per serving
    Calories: 419
    Calories from fat: 28%
    Fat: 13.2g
    Saturated fat: 7.9g
    Monounsaturated fat: 3.7g
    Polyunsaturated fat: 0.8g
    Protein: 33.2g
    Carbohydrate: 41.8g
    Fiber: 4.3g
    Cholesterol: 79mg
    Iron: 2.1mg
    Sodium: 726mg
    Calcium: 474mg
_______________________________________

AT THE MIDDLE PASSAGE
By Walter Mills

Different Realities

When you are considered strange as a child, you cannot forget it when
you grow up. The only difference is that now I can appreciate
strangeness, and I recall that strange kid who was me with fondness.

When I was a teenager, living in my attic room in my parent’s house on
Krick Street, I owned a huge collection of science fiction and fantasy
novels and science fiction magazines. For years I read almost nothing
else, caught up in dreams of distant futures and alien worlds, far
different realities than the one my schoolmates lived in.

At the time I never thought of it as an escape: what did I need to
escape from? My life was not burdened by any noticeable hardship.
Although we weren’t well off, both my mother and father worked, and we
always had enough. We lived in a neat house on a quiet street in an
older neighborhood in Norfolk, Va., which is a medium-sized, working
class city. I had friends on the block who came over and played touch
football in our backyard. It was an ordinary mid-century boyhood.

Except that half of the time I was living in a different world. My
desire to inhabit these strange universes was so intense that I would
carry paperback books in my coat pocket and read sitting on a curb while
waiting for a bus, in the short breaks in between classes, and in my
room late into the night, reading with my eyes burning until the last
sentence of the last page was finished.

Anyone who has been an avid reader as a child has probably been accused
by parents or other grown-ups of living in a fantasy, being unwilling to
face reality, or just wasting time. Although I didn’t accept their
judgment back then, I’m beginning to think there was some truth in what
they said.

I didn’t just want the world to be different; I wanted it to be
different over and over again. It was the sheer weight of reality
pressing down on me that made me want to escape.

Almost everyone has had a dream in which he soars like a bird above the
countryside, swooping effortlessly with outstretched arms. This is the
dream about escaping our daily life and physical bounds, our boundness
to a particular time and circumstance. So much of what we are is fixed,
and most of our freedom is illusory. This seemed particularly true when
I was a teenager and I really was limited in my freedom, unless I was
willing to run away from my comfortable home and live a marginal
existence on the streets of a strange city.

What bothered me was the difference between what I imagined, with the
help of these wonderful books, and what I could actually be. It is like
that tale of Prometheus, who stole fire from the gods and as a result
was chained to a rock and pecked at by birds. Instead of a literal
fire, I think of that tale as being about the fire of our imagination or
self-consciousness bound to the rock of a physical body. Or in the
lyrics of the rock song by the Police – “We are spirits in the material
world.”

Which is why in this season of twilight and shadow, we are susceptible
to a little unreality. On the last night of October the veil between
human and spirit is at its thinnest. On this night, fairies step across
the boundary and walk down the lanes, stand in the doorways, rummage in
the kitchens of humanfolk.

Halloween retains the remnants of this old belief. The old Gaelic word,
Samhain, pronounced Saw-win, was the Irish name for the last day of
October. It means summer’s end, and fires were lit inside hollowed out
turnips and pumpkins, and the hearth fire was allowed to go out.
Spirits of the dead walked the earth.

Read more of Walt's writing at his blog:
http://americanimpressionist.wordpress.com/

(The above column originally appeared in the Centre Daily Times and is
copyright © 2012 by Walter Mills. All rights reserved worldwide. To
contact Walt, address your emails to    awmi-@verizon.net ).
_______________________________________
_______________________________________

_______________________________________

If you mysteriously stop receiving Recipe du Jour, remember to visit our
website http://www.recipedujour.com because your ISP provider may be
blocking our ezines thinking they are (heaven forbid!) junk mail. And
check our archives at www.topica.com/lists/rdj/read to see the latest
issue.

Recipe du Jour’s Good Neighbor Recipes, simply send it via email
rrow-@gmail.com     Use “GNR” and the title of your recipe as the
be able to use your recipe!

Please tell others about the unique experience of Recipe du Jour.

only.

mailto:rdj-sub-@topica.com

resubscribe from your new address.

mailto:rdj-unsu-@topica.com