Welcome Guest!
 RECIPE DU JOUR
RDJ-- Cauliflower Fritters, 10-23-12  RDJ
 Oct 23, 2012 06:56 PDT

_______________________________________
Volume 15      Number 203
US Library of Congress ISSN: 1530-3292

_______________________________________

Cauliflower Fritters

1 cauliflower (about 2 lb.), washed and broken into florets (about 1 1/2
in. each)
1 tablespoon plus 1/2 teaspoon salt
3 large eggs, beaten to blend
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon hot sauce, such as Tabasco
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon pepper
About 2 teaspoons olive oil
1 tablespoon chopped parsley (optional)
Sour cream or salsa (optional)

Preheat oven to 200F. Pour about 4 quarts of water into a 6- to 8-quart
pan; bring to a boil over high heat. Add cauliflower and 1 tablespoon
salt; cover, reduce heat, and simmer until cauliflower is soft enough to
mash, 10 to 12 minutes. Drain.

Put cauliflower in a large bowl, and mash with a fork. Let cool until no
longer steaming. Stir in eggs, garlic, and hot sauce, then mix in flour,
baking powder, paprika, pepper, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt.

Pour 1 teaspoon olive oil into an 8- to 10-inch frying pan over
medium-high heat. Working in batches, drop cauliflower mixture in
heaping tablespoons into pan and cook, turning once, until fritters are
golden brown on both sides, about 6 to 8 minutes per batch. Transfer to
baking sheet and keep warm in oven while cooking the remaining fritters.
Add more oil as needed between batches. Garnish with chopped parsley and
sour cream or salsa as desired. Makes 4 servings.

Nutritional Information
Amount per serving
    Calories: 107
    Calories from fat: 52%
    Protein: 6.8g
    Fat: 6.2g
    Saturated fat: 1.5g
    Carbohydrate: 7.2g
    Fiber: 2.2g
    Sodium: 775mg
    Cholesterol: 159mg
_______________________________________

IT’S THE TRUTH

_______________________________________

TAKE TWO
By Walt Mills

A Shower of All Our Days

It’s a beautiful morning in South Carolina, where I am visiting my
mother on this day 62 years after she first saw my face, wrinkled and
red I imagine, squalling and unhappy to be in this cold world. Yesterday
was Tim’s birthday, and I celebrated with him on the lake in North
Carolina on Saturday. A good visit, but too short and Richard wasn’t
there.

It feels like yesterday that we were in high school, admiring the girls
and trying to be cool. Now we can qualify for early social security. But
it doesn’t feel that way. It feels like my thirtieth year to heaven, as
the poet Dylan Thomas wrote in Poem in October, one of the best of all
birthday poems:

“My birthday began with the water-

Birds and the birds of the winged trees flying my name

      Above the farms and the white horses

                  And I rose

            In rainy autumn

And walked abroad in a shower of all my days.

High tide and the heron dived when I took the road

            Over the border

                  And the gates

      Of the town closed as the town awoke.”

That was how I felt as I drove south through the sleeping towns of
central Pennsylvania early Saturday morning, with the trees all splendid
in their autumn colors. My thoughts drifted through the years to my
childhood in Florida, my youth in Virginia, the years I lived in San
Francisco, thinking of people I had known and how I had been happy and
sad, and already missing my family I had just said goodbye to and our
home in the quiet valley. That’s always how it is when I drive a long
way alone. The mind is set free to wander.

Tim and I got excited while I was there about working together with
Richard on a new project, a Best of Recipe du Jour electronic book for
Kindle and other e-readers. It would be a compilation of each of our
favorite pieces from the past 12 years of RDJ, with new introductory
material the RDJ readers had never seen, supplied by each of us. We
think that our long collaboration and friendship may be something unique
in the annals of cyberspace, and we want to document it in a more
permanent way. Look for it to be out before Christmas, if we’re
conscientious.

Read more of Walt's writing at his blog:
http://americanimpressionist.wordpress.com/

(The above column is copyright © 2012 by Walter Mills. All rights
reserved worldwide. To contact Walt, address your emails to
awmi-@verizon.net ).
_______________________________________

Link of the Day:

It's common practice now for an author to write a book, record the audio
and distribute it entirely online. These are called "podiobooks" or
"podcast audiobooks." You can download a bunch of free ones at
Podiobooks.com. There are various genres featuring work from a variety
of authors and each is divided into episodes which require Quicktime to
stream.

http://www.podiobooks.com/

from Wendy
_______________________________________

Off The Shelf

Have you tried a new product lately? Want to share your opinion with
others? This is your chance to review new grocery items. Name the
product. Say what it is. We ask that you be specific about the qualities
you like or dislike without getting “long-winded.” We also ask you to
mention your city and state (or country) because all new products aren’t
available everywhere and some are just in test markets. Please, no
direct marketing items.

Put OTS or Off The Shelf in the subject line and send to
rrow-@gmail.com
___________________

Pumpkin, pumpkin, pumpkin. Seems like you can’t turn around without
running into a new pumpkin flavored product this time of year. Thomas’
English Muffins has come out with a pumpkin spice English muffin that is
just wonderful. It’s not sweet, but it’s really tasty with butter or
cream cheese. Susan goes overboard and spreads hers with pumpkin
flavored cream cheese. Thomas’ also makes a pumpkin spice bagel, which
is next on our list to try.

Rich
_______________________________________

Do You Remember?