Welcome Guest!
 RECIPE DU JOUR
RDJ-- Texas Corn Bread, 10-24-12  RDJ
 Oct 24, 2012 07:22 PDT

_______________________________________
Volume 15       Number 204
US Library of Congress ISSN: 1530-3292

_______________________________________

WE INTERRUPT THIS ISSUE FOR A WORD FROM OUR SPONSORS:

_______________________________________

Texas Corn Bread

1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup fresh or frozen (thawed and drained) corn kernels
1/2 small red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
2 scallions, finely chopped
1 jalapeŮo chili, seeded and finely chopped

Place a rack in upper third of oven; preheat oven to 375F. Coat a 9-inch
square baking pan with cooking spray.

Combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, cumin and salt in a
medium bowl. Mix milk, butter and eggs in a small bowl; add to cornmeal
mixture and stir until almost combined. Add vegetables; stir just until
combined. Spoon into pan.

Bake until lightly browned and a cake tester inserted in center comes
out clean, about 25 minutes. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes before
cutting; serve warm. Makes 8 servings.

Nutritional Information
Amount per serving
    Calories: 251
    Fat: 9g
    Saturated fat: 5g
    Protein: 7g
    Carbohydrate: 38g
    Fiber: 3g
    Cholesterol: 74mg
    Sodium: 733mg
_______________________________________

Rich's Note:   A Year Ago

A year ago last week, I had a job interview with our district manager
for a management job at a new store we were opening that would have been
the same distance from my home. It was a good and positive meeting that
left me feeling I had a very good chance at the slot.

He never got back to me regarding the job despite my seeing him on an
almost weekly basis. I found out that the job postings and interviews
for such jobs are mostly formalities. I may not like it, but I can
accept that. Such is life.

Not long ago, we got a new manager at our store who decided to shake
things up. What happened next is/was complicated, as many things are,
and I found myself no longer with customer service. Iím back to being a
cashier. A mid-level manager I didnít get along with very well has been
demoted. I didnít have many dealings with her before, but now she will
be one of my direct supervisors. I unintentionally had a small role in
her being demoted. Things will be awkward.

Growing up and growing older, I thought life would get easier the
farther one got along. Iím finding I was wrong. It never gets easier,
but itís how one deals with adversity that makes a difference. Iím still
alive. I still have Susan. My granddaughters are amazing. Autumnís
fashion show is in full swing, fresh apple cider is abundant, and life
may not be easy Ė but itís good.

Rich can be reached at rrow-@gmail.com
______________________________________

Link of the Day:

Have you thought about attending Monsters University? It's been ranked
the most prestigious scaring school in the world for 143 years in a row!

It's also, of course, completely fictional and is the title of Disney
and Pixar's long-anticipated prequel to Monsters, Inc.

This site is designed to look just like a real college website, with an
admissions page, a student life page and the history of the fabled
academic institution.

You can even show your school "spirit" by purchasing some official
athletic apparel.

http://monstersuniversity.com/edu/

from Wendy
_______________________________________

Do You Remember?

A Hazy Shade Of Winter
Simon & Garfunkel 1966

Time,
Time,
Time, see what's become of me
While I looked around for my possibilities.
I was so hard to please.
Look around,
Leaves are brown,
And the sky is a hazy shade of winter.

Hear the Salvation Army band.
Down by the riverside's
Bound to be a better ride
Than what you've got planned.
Carry your cup in your hand.
And look around,
Leaves are brown,
And the sky is a hazy shade of winter.

Hang on to your hopes, my friend.
That's an easy thing to say,
But if your hopes should pass away
Simply pretend that you can build them again.
Look around,
The grass is high,
The fields are ripe,
It's the springtime of my life

Seasons change with the scenery;
Weaving time in a tapestry
Won't you stop and remember me

At any convenient time?
Funny how my memory skips
Looking over manuscripts
Of unpublished rhyme.
Drinking my vodka and lime,
I look around
Leaves are brown,
And the sky is a hazy shade of winter.
_______________________________________
_______________________________________

_______________________________________

Recipe du Jourís Good Neighbor Recipes, simply send it via email to
rrow-@gmail.com     Use ďGNRĒ and the title of your recipe as the
in ďbulletedĒ or 2 column format. Be sure to be specific in your
measurements (donít just say ďa small canĒ of something, give the
the future. WARNING: If you donít follow the guidelines above, we wonít
be able to use your recipe!

The portions of this mailing designated as ďRichís NoteĒ are © Copyright
2012 by Richard Rowand. All rights reserved worldwide. Feel free to
forward this mailing, in its entirety, to any and all family and
friends.

only.

mailto:rdj-sub-@topica.com

resubscribe from your new address.

mailto:rdj-unsu-@topica.com

loan, or give our subscribersí addresses to anyone for any reason. Our

.