Welcome Guest!
 RECIPE DU JOUR
RDJ-- Easy Apricot Chicken, 09-27-12  RDJ
 Sep 29, 2012 21:01 PDT

_______________________________________
Volume 15      Number 182
US Library of Congress ISSN: 1530-3292

_______________________________________

Easy Apricot Chicken

12 dried apricots
8 medium chicken thighs (about 2 1/2 lb.)
Salt and pepper
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 onion, sliced
1 cup chicken broth

Rinse apricots and scatter them in a slow cooker. Pat chicken dry;
season with salt and pepper. Melt butter in oil in a large skillet over
medium-high heat. Cook thighs until golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes per
side. (Brown in batches to avoid crowding skillet.) Arrange over
apricots.

Pour off all but 1 Tbsp. fat in skillet. Add onion and cook until just
soft, 2 to 4 minutes.

Add broth to skillet; turn heat to high. Bring to a boil, loosening
browned bits.

Pour contents of skillet over apricots and chicken. Cover and cook on
low heat for 4 hours.

Carefully transfer thighs to a serving dish (they'll tend to fall apart
easily); cover with foil to keep warm. Pour remaining contents into a
saucepan. Boil, stirring often, until reduced and thickened, about 10
minutes. Pour over chicken. Makes 4 servings.

Nutritional Information
Amount per serving
    Calories: 379
    Fat: 23g
    Saturated fat: 7g
    Protein: 32g
    Carbohydrate: 9g
    Fiber: 1g
    Cholesterol: 119mg
    Sodium: 436mg
_______________________________________

Link of the Day

When I sit down with a book, I want it to be a good one so I really
value good book recommendations.

This site is an online book encyclopedia and social network from Amazon.
You can create a "library" of books you've read, are reading or would
like to read. The site recommends new choices based on what you like and
what's popular.

Your friends can suggest books for you, too. You can even make notes and
share your thoughts on any given books with your network.

http://www.shelfari.com/

from Wendy
_______________________________________

Food For Thought

We’re interested in knowing what you read, think about, watch, and
listen to. This is a chance to share your thoughts with thousands of
Recipe du Jour readers, the same Good Neighbors who have shared their
favorite recipes with you over the years. Think of it as a conversation
with a friend over the backyard fence about the book you just finished,
the story you can’t forget, your favorite movie or television episode or
whatever.

Send your submissions to rrow-@gmail.com   with Food For Thought as
the subject. If you wish to include your email address, please do. Keep
your comments to under two hundred words, but don’t feel obligated to
write more than a few sentences. We also ask that you steer clear of
religion, politics, and products or services that you sell.

Depending on the number of submissions received, your offering might not
be posted until a later issue. Feedback is welcomed and encouraged.
Enjoy.
___________________

I just finished reading "The Inn at Rose Harbor" by Debbie Macomber,
after several readers suggested her books recently. I've been in a
reading rut with true crime books, and/or murder mysteries. This was a
pleasant surprise, not so much a romance but a feel-good, get-in-touch
with your inner feelings book. Really good, and I'm awaiting the sequel.
(hope it's soon)

October is my turn to host the monthly ladies' night out I attend. The
plan is to attend a blues music concert at a local winery, and a picnic
while there will be perfect. I urge everyone to check out local area
events for reasonably priced, family entertainment. I didn't know until
a year ago about these concerts, but apparently the winery has provided
concerts for several years, with a nominal fee for admittance. People
bring lawn chairs, blankets, picnics, children. No pets, and no alcohol
is permitted, though you can purchase wine, cheese platters, and bowls
of gumbo or jambalaya from the winery if you prefer. It makes for a
pleasant late afternoon outing.

Lisa B. kaits-@gmail.com
____________________

Just finished reading The Last Lecture - Pausch, Randy, Jeffrey Zaslow.
I picked it up on one of Pixel of Ink's specials a while back, but just
couldn't bring myself to begin its journey and open the cover. What a
mistake! It was anything but depressing; heartbreaking?...yes!
uplifting?...yes inspiring?...yes Do I regret not reading it
earlier?...yes!   For anyone else putting this off to read another time,
jump on in and just do it!

____________________

I have a pet peeve and doubt that I'm alone in this. I enjoy Rachel
Ray's tv program and subscribe to her newsletter. However, her recipes
leave me cold because the ingredients lists are usually so long. Today,
I checked out the recipe for Chicken Pan Pie and the ingredient list was
25 items. I can't recall EVER printing out or saving any of her recipes
for that reason. (In all fairness, Martha Stewart is guilty of the
same.) When the number gets over 6 or 8 items I lose all desire to cook.

Thanks for "listening." Venting is good therapy.

Shirley
_______________________________________

rrow-@gmail.com    Use “GNR” and the title of your recipe as the
be able to use your recipe!