Welcome Guest!
 RECIPE DU JOUR
RDJ-- GNR, 10-12-12  RDJ
 Oct 15, 2012 09:07 PDT

_______________________________________
Volume 15     Number 194
US Library of Congress ISSN: 1530-3292

_______________________________________

It’s Good Neighbor Recipes Friday!!

Welcome to our Good Neighbor Recipes edition of Recipe du Jour! On
Fridays we turn over the recipe presentation to you guys to share and
showcase your favorite recipes with the RDJ neighbors. If you have any
questions about any of the recipes offered today, write an email to the
address given with that specific recipe. If you wish to submit your own
favorite, guidelines are at the end of this mailing. And don’t forget to
forward this mailing to all your friends!

Guidelines for submitting recipes are at the end of this mailing.

Table of Contents:

Baked Cod On Bed Of Peppers
Crescent Quiche Lorraine
Apple and Raisin Slaw
Shrimp Nacho Bites
Roasted Beets
Jack-O'-Lantern Cheese Ball
8 Can Taco Soup
Awesome Cabbage Casserole

and don’t forget that our sister ezine, Dessert du Jour, is featuring
Good Neighbor Desserts this and every Friday. To subscribe, address a
blank email to
dessert-s-@topica.com

For metric conversion, try
http://www.onlineconversion.com/cooking_volume.htm
_______________________________________

Baked Cod On Bed Of Peppers

1 Tbs. Olive oil
1 sm. Onion, halved and slivered
1 sm. Red bell pepper, cored, seeded and cut into dice
1 Garlic clove finely minced
pinch Ground allspice
Salt to taste
Black pepper to taste
1/4 c. Pitted black olives chopped
1 1/2 Tbs. Chopped parsley
2 Tbs. Fresh lemon juice
1/4 lb. Piece of cod or halibut, 1" thick, bones removed

Cooking in foil packets is a fast fool-proof way to prepare fish and
vegetables. 1. Preheat oven to 350F.

Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over low heat. Cook onion for 5 minutes.
Add bell pepper garlic allspice salt and pepper. Cook another 5 minutes
stirring. Add olives 1 Tbs. parsley and 1 Tbs. lemon juice; toss well.

Fold a piece of foil 18" long in half crosswise; reopen and place
vegetables at center of one side. Top with fish. Drizzle fish with
remaining lemon juice. Season with salt pepper and remaining parsley.

Fold other half of foil over the fish and crimp edges together well to
make a tightly sealed packet. Bake for 15 minutes on a baking sheet.
Remove from oven and let rest for 2 minutes. Serve immediately cutting
the packet open at the table to get the delicious aroma. Carefully
remove fish to a plate.

Serve one: 328 calories 18 grams fat 49 milligrams cholesterol.

Sue Cookinc-@aol.com
_______________________________________

Here is a neat dish that is very easy to do. lou3-@webtv.net

CRESCENT QUICHE LORRAINE

1 can refrigerated crescent rolls
1 egg beaten
1 c evaporated milk
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 c shredded Swiss cheese
1 c (3 1/2 oz can) French fried onions
9 slices crisp bacon crumbled

Separate dough and press into an ungreased 9" pie pan. Press pieces
together to form a crust.

Combine egg, milk, salt and sauce. Stir in cheese.

Sprinkle half of onions over unbaked crust. Pour egg mixture into crust.
Sprinkle with bacon and remaining onions.

Bake 325F for 25-30 minutes or until set. Cool 5 minutes before serving.
_______________________________________

Rich's Note:   TP Or Not TP

At least once a day I think about toilet paper. Susan has been buying
that super duper thick stuff that’s harder to fold than a phone book.
It’s so thick you could use it for sandwiches if you ran out of Wonder
bread.

When I was a supermarket manager, I was never eager to stock the TP
aisle because it was one of the dirtiest sections in the store, what
with all that paper dust all over the place. It used to be a colorful
aisle, though, with paper coming in pinks, blues, yellow, and (ugh)
green. I think there was even a beige at some point.

Scented TP faded away, so to speak, years ago; but I remember when the
makers of Glade came out with disposable TP dispenser rods that were
filled with tumbling scented pebbles. The spinning of the roll made the
pebbles tumble, which released varying scents. Guys thought this was a
great idea. Women turned up their noses.

And, lastly, I just wanted to comment on the size of the cardboard tube
at the center of each TP roll. My, how you’ve grown.

Rich can be reached at rrow-@gmail.com
_______________________________________

Apple and Raisin Slaw

1/2 cup light sour cream
3 TBL reduced fat mayonnaise
1 - 1/2 TBL white vinegar
1 tsp sugar
1/8 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups unpeeled chopped Rome apples (about 1 medium)
1 cup golden raisins
1 (16 oz) pkg cabbage and carrot coleslaw

Combine the first 6 ingredients in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk.
Add apple, raisins and coleslaw pkg. Toss to combine.

I just made the last night from a recipe found in a hospital calendar of
events. It was very good. rambli-@yahoo.com
_______________________________________

Shrimp Nacho Bites
Yield: 40-50 nacho bites
Prep Time: 20 minutes | Bake Time: 5 minutes

40-50 scoop-shaped tortilla chips
1 cup black beans
1 cup corn, fresh or frozen
40 pieces small frozen, deveined shrimp, thawed and tails removed
1 cup shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese (or a combination)
1 avocado, sliced into 1-inch pieces
1/2 cup salsa
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup cilantro, finely chopped

Arrange the tortilla chips on a baking stone or oven-safe baking dish.
Place a small amount of black beans and corn in the bottom of each scoop
(about 5 beans and corn kernels per scoop). Top with a piece of shrimp
and sprinkle with shredded cheese.

Turn on your oven’s broiler and let it heat up for a few minutes. When
it’s ready, put the nacho bites in the oven and broil until the cheese
is completely melted and the chips start to look toasted, about 5
minutes. Keep a close eye on them so they don’t burn under the broiler!

Remove from the oven and top with a small slice of avocado, a dollop of
salsa, then a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkling of cilantro. If you
need to move them to a separate serving platter and they are still hot,
use a pair or tongs to gently transfer them. Serve warm.

From Feast on The Cheap via dsi-@aol.com
_______________________________________

Although I don't dislike them, beets are not one of my go-to vegetables.
My husband, on the other hand, loves them and recently brought some
fresh ones home with him from our local produce market. I decided to
roast the beets and they turned out great. kitty-@yahoo.com

Roasted Beets

4-5 medium beets, scrubbed, with stem end cut off
2 tsp olive oil
2 tsp cider vinegar
2 tsp honey
1 tsp lime juice
lime zest (optional)
2 tsp dill

Preheat oven to 400F. Coat baking pan with cooking spray, add beets.
Roast beets for 35-45 minutes or until tender (test with fork). Remove
from oven and when beets have cooled enough to handle, cut into wedges.

Mix olive oil, vinegar, honey, lime juice and dill together and pour
over beets.
_______________________________________

Lots of parties starting this time of year, and who doesn't love a
cheese ball you can spread on crackers/crusty bread? Lisa B.
kaits-@gmail.com

Jack-O'-Lantern Cheese Ball

1 - 8 oz pkg fat-free cream cheese, softened
1 - 8 oz pkg shredded Pepper-Jack cheese
3 Tbsp salsa
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1 - 11.5 oz pkg nacho chese flavored tortilla chips, crushed
3 pitted ripe or black olives
1 sweet baby gherkin pickle

In a food processor add cream cheese, shredded cheese, salsa, garlic
powder, and cumin. Process until well combined. Form into a ball, wrap
in plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour. Unwrap cheese ball, and press
crushed chips into cheese ball. Insert one small pickle into top of
cheese ball for "pumpkin" stem. Halve the black olives. Place one half
for each eye, and use remaining halves to shape a mouth. Serves 12 -16.
_______________________________________

8 Can Taco Soup

15-oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
15-oz can pinto beans drained and rinsed
14.5- oz can diced tom. drained
15.25 oz can sweet corn drained
12.5 oz can white chicken breast drained
10.75 oz can cream of chicken soup
10 oz can green enchilada sauce( optional)
14 oz can chicken broth
Packet of taco seasoning

Combine all ingredients. Heat until heated through and flavors blend.

We had tortilla chips on the side. We made this this week and it was
delicious. Ron mor-@one-eleven.net
_______________________________________

Awesome Cabbage Casserole

Ingredients
1 small cabbage
1 medium onions
1/4 cup margarine or 1/4 cup butter, melted
salt
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 (10 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup

Topping
1/4 cup margarine or 1/4 cup butter, melted
1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
30 butter flavored crackers, crushed

Coarsely chop cabbage in large casserole dish sprayed with PAM. Sprinkle
onion on top of cabbage. Pour melted butter over cabbage. Sprinkle with
salt.

Mix Mayo and soup together and then spread over cabbage and onions.

For topping, mix together melted butter, crushed crackers and grated
cheese. Sprinkle over top of casserole.

Bake at 350F for 45 minutes or until bubbly and brown

Sue Cookinc-@aol.com
_______________________________________
_______________________________________

_______________________________________

rrow-@gmail.com    Use “GNR” and the title of your recipe as the
be able to use your recipe!

to any and all family and friends.

only.

mailto:rdj-sub-@topica.com

resubscribe from your new address.

mailto:rdj-unsu-@topica.com

Recipe du Jour is strictly an opt-in service. We do not sell, loan, or
give our subscribers’ addresses to anyone for any reason. Our features
are intended as entertainment only.

.