Welcome Guest!
 RECIPE DU JOUR
RDJ-- Lemon Mint Chicken Wings, 10-16-12  RDJ
 Oct 17, 2012 06:32 PDT

_______________________________________
Volume 15      Number 197
US Library of Congress ISSN: 1530-3292

_______________________________________

Lemon Mint Chicken Wings

1 1/2 tablespoons finely grated lemon rind
2/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh mint, divided
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced
48 chicken drumettes (about 4 1/2 pounds) or chicken wings
Cooking spray

Combine the lemon rind, lemon juice, olive oil, 1/4 cup chopped mint,
ground cumin, salt, black pepper, and minced garlic in a large bowl. Add
the chicken drumettes, and toss to coat. Cover the drumettes, and
marinate in the refrigerator for 20 minutes, tossing occasionally.

Preheat the broiler. Place half the drumettes on a broiler pan coated
with cooking spray, and broil for 15 minutes or until browned. Turn the
drumettes over, and broil for 10 minutes on the other side or until the
drumettes are done. Repeat the procedure with the remaining drumettes.
Sprinkle drumettes with the remaining 1/4 cup chopped mint before
serving (either hot or at room temperature). Makes 12 servings.

Nutritional Information
Amount per serving
    Calories: 231
    Fat: 15g
    Saturated fat: 3g
    Monounsaturated fat: 7g
    Polyunsaturated fat: 3g
    Protein: 22g
    Fiber: 0.0g
    Cholesterol: 92mg
    Iron: 2mg
    Sodium: 193mg
_______________________________________

TAKE TWO
By Walt Mills

The October Country

This Saturday I am taking a week off of work and heading to South
Carolina to spend some time with my mother in Columbia. I’m going on my
own, which is a little unusual, but this is a chance for me and Mom to
reminisce and play some cut-throat games of Scrabble and look at old
photos. It also gives my sister and brother-in-law a chance to get over
to the coast to do some surf fishing and eat some good seafood. My
sister will probably avoid the fishing but may work on her paintings.
She has become a good artist and recently sold one of her paintings at a
show for a pretty nice sum. So my mother told me in one of her recent
notes.

On the way down I will be stopping over at Tim’s house on the lake in
North Carolina. It has been too long since I’ve seen him, and I will be
interested to see which part of the house he has torn apart in order to
make his “terminal” renovations. The lake should be beautiful his time
of year. I love to travel in the fall, when the trees are in their
autumn beauty, as the poet Yeats wrote in lines I think of every fall
from “The Wild Geese at Coole.”

THE TREES are in their autumn beauty,
The woodland paths are dry,
Under the October twilight the water
Mirrors a still sky;
Upon the brimming water among the stones          5
Are nine and fifty swans.

I will take the country roads through central Pennsylvania, first to
West Virginia and then into Virginia where I pick up the highway, with
the Blue Ridge mountains off to the east. Then through the rolling horse
country until I take the turn-off to Richmond and on through the
battlefields of the Civil War. It is all beautiful country, especially
in the October light.

Read more of Walt's writing at his blog:
http://americanimpressionist.wordpress.com/

(The above column is copyright © 2012 by Walter Mills. All rights
reserved worldwide. To contact Walt, address your emails to
awmi-@verizon.net ).
_______________________________________

Link of the Day:

When you're visiting an unfamiliar city, it's hard to find
out-of-the-way places that can make a trip memorable.

This site offers a super-simple online planning service. Just type in
your destination and when you'll be in town, and Tripomatic will show
you a list of the three must-see locales.

You'll also find accommodations, restaurants and other entertainment on
a detailed map. Add them to your schedule and then download or sync with
your iPhone. You'll need a free Tripomatic account to download and sync.

http://www.tripomatic.com/

from Wendy
_______________________________________

Off The Shelf

Have you tried a new product lately? Want to share your opinion with
others? This is your chance to review new grocery items. Name the
product. Say what it is. We ask that you be specific about the qualities
you like or dislike without getting “long-winded.” We also ask you to
mention your city and state (or country) because all new products aren’t
available everywhere and some are just in test markets. Please, no
direct marketing items.

Put OTS or Off The Shelf in the subject line and send to
rrow-@gmail.com
___________________

While shopping in Walmart the other week, we found Wheat Thins Toasted
Chips with the crackers. They had two flavors, Little Italy Roasted
Garlic and Western Ridge Peppercorn Ranch. They have 40% less fat than
potato chips, so they are better for you. The garlic crackers are very,
very garlic-y. I really liked the peppercorn ranch flavor.

Peg
____________________

Thomas’ English Muffins, for a limited time, is selling Pumpkin Spice
English muffins. If you like pumpkin, you will love these.

Rich
_______________________________________

Do You Remember?

BAREFOOTIN'
Robert Parker 1966
Words and music by Robert Parker

Everybody get on your feet,
You make me nervous when you in your seat
Take off your shoes and pat your feet,
We're doin a dance that can't be beat
We're barefootin', We're barefootin',
We're barefootin', We're barefootin',

Went to a party the other night,
Long Tall Sally was out of sight
Threw way her wig, and her high sneakers too,
She was doin a dance without any shoes
She was barefootin', She was barefootin',
She was barefootin', She was barefootin',

Hey little gal with the red dress on,
I bet you can barefoot all night long
Take off your shoes and throw them away,
Come back and get them another day
We're barefootin', We're barefootin',
We're barefootin', We're barefootin',

Musical interlude

Lil John Henry he said to Sue,
If I was barefootin' would you barefoot too
Sue told John, "I'm thirty two,
I was barefootin ever since I was two
They was barefootin', they was barefootin'
They was barefootin'', we barefootin'
We barefootin' we barefootin'
We barefootin' we barefootin'
We barefootin' we barefootin'