Welcome Guest!
 Roger's Tennis
Roger's Tennis # 37: "Infinite Tennis"  Roger Haeske
 Aug 10, 2002 11:15 PDT
Rogerís Peak Performance Tennis Update # 37
******************************
Discover How to Play in the Zone and Reach your Unlimited
Potential with my new book "Infinite Tennis." Go to
http://www.supertennis.net/itennis

Unlock and Unleash the Tennis Genius inside of you with my
Exclusive Special Reports and the Infinite Tennis: Peak
Performance Program: http://www.SuperTennis.net

Get your racquet strung by the Best Stringer Around, go to
http://BestStringer.com

To read past issues of Roger's Central Jersey Tennis
Update go to http://www.topica.com/lists/rogers_tennis/read

Table of Contents:

1. Infinite Tennis: Unleash your Hidden Tennis
2. Is there a shortcut to success?
3. How a Spiritual Principle can Help you to Play your
Best Under Pressure:
4. Super Nutrition Beach Party:

******************************
This is Roger Haeske, your friendly neighborhood Peak
Performance Tennis Pro and Master Stringer. These updates
are provided as a resource to Tennis Players around the
world with topics of interest for Tennis Players in the
Central New Jersey Community as well.

If you enjoyed this update then please forward a copy to
your tennis friends, and be sure to tell them you sent it.
Your email address will not be sold or given to other
companies. Your privacy is respected at all times.

To subscribe to these free and valuable updates simply
send a blank email to this address.
rogers_tenni-@topica.com

To unsubscribe from these updates simply send a blank
email to this address.
rogers_tennis-@topica.com
******************************
Articles:

1. Infinite Tennis: Unleash your Hidden Tennis Genius

Dear Tennis Enthusiast:

It's been a long time since I've sent out my newsletter. I
seemed to have gotten sidetracked by this project I've been
working on. Well, this project is almost done now, and you
can be one of the first people to benefit from it.

It's my first book plus and additional audio program for
improving your tennis game. The book is called: Infinite
Tennis: Unleash your Hidden Genius for Peak Performance and
Playing in the Zone. The audio program is called: 33
Techniques for Rocket-Like Serves.

I've put together a very special package where you can buy
them together plus get another book by an all time tennis
legend -- 2 special reports and a peak performance
questionnaire that will pinpoint the areas of your game you
should work on. But this is for a limited time only. Just
go to this link to find out more.
http://supertennis.net/itennis

I've got an even better deal for you. If you live locally,
you can sign-up for a package of 5 or 10 private lessons
from me and you will get the whole package of books and
bonuses for Free. For more info about the private lesson
packages, just go to this link.
http://www.supertennis.net/rates.htm

++++++++++

2. Is there a shortcut to success?

Have you ever heard of the Pareto Principle, or the 80/20
Rule? This principle goes something like this. You get 80%
of your results from 20% of your effort. Or you get 80% of
your sales from 20% of your customers. I've found that the
80/20 Rule definitely applies to improving your tennis game.

The ideas I am about to talk about apply mostly to playing
tennis on hard or grass courts. It applies to singles and
doubles. It also tends to apply more to men's tennis, but
the Williams sisters dominate with this principle as well.

What one shot, if you were really good at, could make you
the number one player in the world? The serve. Imagine if
you never lost a point on your service games or
tiebreakers. Even if you couldn't return serve for your
life, you would still be unbeatable. You'd just keep on
playing tiebreakers until the other person double faulted.
By mastering a single shot you would be unbeatable and be
number one in the world. But even if you donít master the
serve, if you at least make it a weapon you will have much
better winning percentage.

The closest we've seen to something like this is Goran
Ivanisevic winning Wimbledon last year. His serve was
invincible, even though the rest of his game was not really
up to the standards of the top-level pros. It didnít matter
Ė his serve was just that dominating.

Now what if you were to develop just one other shot up to
world-class standards? What would it be Ė a volley, or
forehand, or an overhead? I think not. Instead you would
focus on the second most important shot in the game of
tennis -- the Return of Serve.

Some people spend a lot of time working on ground strokes
and doing ground stroke games but forget to work on their
serves and return of serves. This is good for your
groundstrokes but not for winning. The reality of high
level hard and grass court tennis (especially for men, and
more and more for women) is that most of the points are
directly influenced by the serve and return of serve.

How often have you practiced on improving your return of
serve? If you can't remember, then you are spending time
improving parts of your game that are not really that
important.

This actually applies more to advanced level players. But
if you want to become advanced, you'll want to have a great
serve and return of serve. These two shots set the tempo
for the point. When I am competing, most of the points
don't go beyond 3 shots. Who needs great groundstrokes when
the points are very often this short. Often the point ends
on an ace or a service winner. Or, the other person gets
the return in but it is a weak return and I can then put
away the next shot or my opponent does that to me. Or maybe
Iíll take advantage of a weak second serve with an
offensive return of serve.

You CANíT be an advanced player without at least a good
serve or a good service return. You don't have to have both
but you do have to have at least one. Let's look at the top
tennis players in the world. Pete Sampras had the best
serve ever. Andre Agassi was considered to have the best
return of serve. Look at who is number one right now. It's
Leyton Hewitt. I think he has an even better return of
serve than Agassi.

I do think, however, that the great returners also need to
have great groundstrokes, because you usually can't finish
off the point on a return of serve. Look at Sampras's
downfall. It must be due to his serve just not being as
effective as it used to be. Maybe he's not as consistent or
his placement is not as good.

Also, a winning serve gives you lots of confidence and
will help you improve the rest of your game during the
match. Imagine never losing your serve. All you would have
to do is break serve once and you would win the set.

Even in the longer points, it's often the serve or return
of serve that gives the initial advantage to the other
player. I charted a recent match I had with a student. Out
of 34 points, 32 were directly influenced by the serve or
return of serve or 94%. This means that the outcome of the
point was largely based on the quality of the serve or
return of serve. Some of the points were lost on double
faults or unforced errors on the return of serve. The rest
were either forcing serves or return of serves.

So if you want to have a devastating serve, I highly
recommend that you get my audio program, 33 Techniques for
Rocket-Like Serves. http://supertennis.net/itennis It comes
as part of the Infinite Tennis package, or you can buy it
separately. I'm sure you'll be amazed at how much your
serve will improve.

There is one more element I'd suggest you develop along
the lines of the 80/20 Rule. If on top of a great serve and
return of serve, you also developed pin-point accuracy then
you would be an awesome player. You wouldn't even need a
lot of power or spin, just accuracy. I've found accuracy to
be much more important than power or spin. Now if you can
add all those elements then you may become unstoppable.

Just focus however on Serves, Returns and Accuracy, and
watch your game quickly improve to the next level.

Here are some quick return of serve tips:

1. Do a split step so that you land on your toes just
before the server hits the ball.

2. Have a very short backswing for the return of serve.

3. Try to use the same grip for the forehand and backhand.
This shouldn't be a problem if you use a two-handed
backhand. I use a Continental grip, and if I have time on
the return then I switch to my preferred grip.

4. Cut off the angles on the return of serve. Donít run
across for a wide ball, but instead run on a forward angle
to cut off the ball.

5. Get your weight forward. This will give you power and
help keep the ball down.

6. Try to read your opponentsís serve. Look for clues that
will tell you what kind of serve it is. The sooner you know
what is coming, the sooner you can prepare yourself
properly. Many times, the person will shift the way they
stand or use a slightly different grip when they are doing
a different kind of serve.

7. Determine right away what kind of serve is being hit.
Is it a flat serve, a slice, or kick serve? Each one of
these necessitates a different response. So you should
decide as soon as possible what kind of serve it is and act
accordingly.

Good luck with the 80/20 Rule. If you focus on these
critical success factors in tennis then your game will
improve very quickly.

++++++++++

3. How a Spiritual Principle can Help you to Play your
Best Under Pressure:

The game of tennis is very much controlled by your
thoughts and emotions. People usually have too much time to
think in tennis and that leads them to start choking. They
start visualizing what would happen if they miss their
second serve and soon enough they start missing it.

The key is that you tend to get what you focus on. If you
focus on trouble, you tend to get and attract trouble. If
you are only expecting to do well then you are much more
likely to do well.

So here is where detachment comes in. Detachment is an
Eastern Spiritual Principle. It basically states that you
should be detached from your possessions and even from your
spiritual goals. You should, in essence, not desire to
possess something because we live in a constantly changing
world and you are very likely to lose your possessions.
It's a principle that will help you to be less upset if bad
things happen to you. I'm not sure if I totally agree with
it in regular life but it certainly can be beneficial in
your tennis game.

The recently I was playing a match. It was a match where I
was the better player. Which in a way puts pressure on me.
What if I didn't win, or what if that person didn't
actually beat me, but came very close? I couldn't believe
it, but those ideas ran through my head.

My game immediately started getting worse as I played
nervously. The thing I was trying to POSSESS was winning.
Because it was so important for me to win, I was therefore
afraid of losing. One thing that Hose Higueras taught Jim
Courier, was to play without fear. Fear will destroy your
tennis game. Fear originates in attachment to getting
certain results, like wanting to win. If you are
emotionally attached to winning Fear will come in and you
wonít play up to your full potential.

So the key is to detach yourself and still play as hard as
possible toward your goal. It's not to give up the goal,
but to be detached as to whether or not you actually get
it. This attitude will help you compete without the
internal negative pressure that was formerly created by
your attachment.

The way I quickly achieved detachment in this case was to
consider this. What is the worst thing that could happen if
I lose? Once I realized that my life wouldn't end, I was
able to play relaxed and have fun. You give up attachment
to your goal so that you can play without fear.

Playing without fear is one of the major components
necessary for playing in the zone. My new book, Infinite
Tennis, goes into many techniques to get over fear and to
play up to your full potential.
http://www.supertennis.net/itennis.

We all have tremendous potential to play much better
tennis, but it takes learning proper control of the mind to
reach that full potential. An attitude of detachment can
take you far along toward those goals.

Also join the online group if you want to learn more.

******************************

STRINGING WITH PRIDE: I take a lot of pride in stringing
your racquets. I have two stringing certifications
including (Master Racquet Technician MRT) from the United
States Racquet Stringers Association and 17 years stringing
experience. If you come to me, you can have confidence in
your racquet being properly strung and the racquet's
performance being maximized. I've strung over 25,000
racquets in my day and have a very large and loyal
following in the East Brunswick area. If you ever have any
problem or question with a racquet I've strung, feel free
to contact me and I'll gladly do my best to make sure you
are satisfied. Or visit http://www.beststringer.com

I hope you enjoyed and benefited from this update. Please
email me if you have any suggestions as to how I can make
it more useful for you. I'm here to serve you.

From your friendly neighborhood Peak Performance Tennis
Pro and Master Stringer, Roger Haeske

(732) 432-4839 Roger's Super Tennis: Pro Shop
(732) 213-6214 Cell Phone
(732) 238-8417 Route 18 Sports
(732) 247-1700 East Brunswick Racquet Club
mailto:rog-@supertennis.net