Welcome Guest!
 USMC History Lis
Re: New Book, Carlson, Roosevelt, Makin, Amelia Earhart, etc...???  Richard Gaines
 Jun 02, 2000 06:16 PDT
I dunno--why don't ya ask him?
Dick

Semper Fidelis and....
Take Care,
Dick Gaines
GySgt USMC Ret.
(1952-1972)
***************
Please read:
Help Us Put Richard Keech Where He Belongs--HOME!!!
<http://www2.jps.net/~chez/rc/>
The Man We Left Behind!
http://expage.com/page/sgtbillgenaustusmc
Gunny G's Marines~WebSites
<http://www.angelfire.com/ca/dickg/gunny.html>
Marines Forum: The Damn Few!
http://network54.com/Forum/52192
Old Salt Marines--1930-'60s (Forum)
http://network54.com/Forum/53892
Carlson Of The Raider Marines!
http://www.angelfire.com/ca/dickg/carlson.html
Marine Raiders Executed (beheaded)
http://www.angelfire.com/ca/dickg/carlsonraidersexecuted.html
Marine Postal~Vignettes~China Marines~Enlisted Rank History~WW
II~Korea~Marines History~Buddies Search~Old Salts~Forums~Message
Boards~Discussions~Add Your Site, etc.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum

From: Chak-@aol.com
To: Gun-@hotmail.com
Subject: Carlson; the Makin raid; reported secondary objective
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 00:08:36 EDT

Mr. Gaines:

During my research into incidents in the Pacific, prior to December 7,
1941
 (my uncle, Major Robert V. Nelson USADC, was force dental surgeon with the
Visayan-Mindanao Force in the southern Philippines, under Sharp---died in
January 1945 aboard a hell ship en route to Japan), I came upon an
interesting report from a Marine sergeant (intelligence). This gentleman,
also a post-war NYC detective, had proven to be 100% reliable on a number
of
 issues, including the real fate of Glenn Miller (told to me in 1987, 11
years
before the 1998 article in Das Bild---which was sanitized) and the (then)
little known fact that James Roosevelt was Carlson's exec on the Makin
raid.
 In fact, in 1998, after speaking with a California gentleman whose
father-in-law had been at Makin on the '42 raid, that gentleman called me
back a few weeks later, stating that his father-in-law wanted to know how
 knew that FDR's son had been the exec: he had been under the impression
that
 this was still secret information, and, of course, the portrayal of the
exec
 in "Gung Ho," by J. Carrol Naish, was about as far as one can get from
anyone
resembling James Roosevelt.

Anyway, my reliable source advised me, in 1987, that, although the orders
given to Carlson for the raid were still secret, the destruction of the
radio
station was quite obviously the primary objective. The secondary objective
was, if truly reported to me, not so obvious: the Raiders were, if
possible,
 to "kill or capture Amelia Earhart."

In a few months, look for my book, Fix on the Rising Sun, on the web at
1stBooks.

Yours,

Charles N. Hill

Semper Fidelis and....