Welcome Guest!
 USMC History Lis
Marine map detachment in France, 1920  skip-@labyrinth.net
 May 24, 2011 16:22 PDT

A question from the WWI discussion list about a Marine in France in 1920 who was assigned to a "Map Detachment" in St. Etienne-a-Arnes. Thought perhaps someone on this list might be able to help.

Thanks,
BJ Omanson, listowner

From: "Spence, Richard" <Rspe-@UIDAHO.EDU>
Date:          Tue, 24 May 2011 09:49:01 -0700

I've been looking as the career of a fellow who served in the US Marines immediately after WWI. For some months in 1920, he was posted to a "Map Detachment" in St. Etienne-a-Arnes. After returning to the States, he ended up at the "A & I Hdqrs" in Washington, DC.

So two questions, for anyone who may be able to shed some light:

1. What was an American map detachment doing in France in 1920?

2. What was the A & I Headquarters? (Assistance & Investigations?)

Thanks,

Rick Spence