Welcome Guest!
 Simplitudes
Simplitudes#2  Gigi
 Dec 13, 2000 09:02 PST
*** The Simplitudes Newsletter is sent to subscribers only.
If sent in error or To Unsubscribe, send a blank email to:
simplitudes--@topica.com
***
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Simplitudes
http://www.simplitudes.com
+++++++++++++++++++++++++

In this Issue:

* What’s New - Rant
* Safety Alert
* Alcohol Consumption Tips
* Keep Unwanted Animals From Your Home
* Tips on Cooking Ham (Not everyone’s a Vegetarian)
* Simple tips for Keeping Warm
* Book Review: Woodswoman, by Anne LaBastille
* Quote of the Week

+++++++++++++++++++++++++
WHAT’S NEW - RANT

While it looks, from the frequency of these mailings, that this is going
to be a weekly after-all, looks are deceiving and the future still
uncertain. Gigi’s already created the skeleton of the next issue, but
will I find the time to edit and transform those beginnings into a
readable document in time to maintain consistency? Tune in next week for
the answer.

We’ve had some great response to our last issue, in spite of my
confusing the documents and posting a client’s URL instead of our own.
I’m gonna have to take Simplitude’s advice and simplify my own life a
bit. The thing is, I really enjoy what I do, even the self-imposed
pressures. I suppose if I ever reach a point where the burden outweighs
the joys, I’ll have to take another look at it.

One of the best emails we received was from Jack of San Francisco. I’m
going to reprint it here, not because I want to toot my own horn (OK,
toot, toot), but because the point he makes is one I’ve been thinking
about for some time.

“Congratulations to an "Old Hippie" from and "Older Beatnik". I wish to
extend my best wishes for your success in this new venture. I find an
amazing dearth of such "real" sites on the WWW.
Most, if not nearly all of what I run across (when my beard doesn't
become entangled in the keyboard) is just a bunch of phony stuff from
people pretending to be sincere to make a fast buck. I have become
rather jaded with such claptrap.
I find your site like a breath of fresh air….it is like the breeze off
San Francisco Bay at 0500 hrs when you step out of an all night "Coffee
House" and head home to your pad....great!”

(Thanx Jack., Feels good to have our work so positively described in
such vivid imagery.)

There’s so much posturing and so much disingenuousness, not just on the
Web, or from evil political pundits, but in our everyday world. We’ve
reached a point in our culture where we accept lies and deception much
as we do the seasons. Financial prizes are generally awarded to those
who’ve demonstrated their willingness to be remade by their masters. CEO
are grown from the obedient and ruthless, while teachers and counselors
plan on second careers as supermarket baggers.

Sorry, I didn’t mean to whine. I just think that we can all spend more
time being gut level. While it may not be appropriate when asked how
you’re doing, to describe in detail the itch in your hemorrhoids, I
think there’s room for greater honesty and depth in day to day
adventures…and a whole lot more compassion.
…………………………………….

Also from Jack, regarding last week’s suggestions for removing wine from
tablecloths: “ Cover the spot with salt...dampen it...works great too. I
ought to know...I've spilled a lot of wine in my time.”
Thanx again Jack

http://www.simplitudes.com/whatsnew.html

http://artitude.com/Simplitudes/Simplitudes.html

+++++++++++++++++++++++++
SAFETY ALERT

Nail polish is now known to be a possible contributor to birth defects.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

ALCOHOL CONSUMPTION TIPS FOR THE HOLIDAY SEASON

1) Colorless or light alcohol is easier on your system and reduces
headaches associated with high consumption.
2) Purchase high-grade alcohol rather than cheaper brands, which tend to
be harsh on your system.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++
TO PREVENT UNWANTED ANIMAL VISITS TO YOUR HOME…

simply lay out some moth balls; works great on snakes and rabbits. It
will not harm the wildlife, but the smell will discourage them from
visiting again. Caution: small children do not have the instincts of
wild animals and moth balls will hurt them, so use your best judgement.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++

TIPS ON COOKING A HAM:

Make sure you scrub the ham clean, then soak in cold water. Change the
water every 3 to 4 hours for 12 to 24 hours depending on size. Cook it
wrapped in foil with some cider (home made if at all possible) and
water. Cooking times differ with weight. Uncover for the last 15 to 20
minutes to brown.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

SIMPLE TIPS FOR SAVING MONEY ON HEATING:

***ONE WAY TO SAVE ON YOUR HEATING AND ELECTRIC BILLS IS TO WASH
CLOTHING AND DISHES IN COLD WATER ONLY; YOU’LL BE HAPPILY SURPRISED HOW
MUCH LOWER YOUR BILL WILL BE.***

1) Keep warm food such as stews and soups on stove top.
2) Hang heavy blankets over windows and tuck them into corners.
3) For bigger homes, close off areas with blankets and only use one room
at a time where everyone can gather together.
4) Sleep together or with a furry pet.
5) Keep active indoors as well as out.
6) Wear clothing that’s nylon and fleece lined.
7) Wool socks are warmer than cotton.
8) Keep winter underwear on throughout the day.
9) Keep lots of heavy blankets on bedding as well as lounge areas.
10)Layer clothing rather than wear one heavy article.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

BOOK REVIEW:

WOODSWOMAN By: Anne LaBastille

Anne LaBastille achieved what many of us can only dream of. After
graduating from Cornell University with a Ph.D. in Wildlife Ecology, she
moved up to New York’s Adirondack wilderness and built her own log
cabin.

In her works she shares the beauty of nature as well as her emotional
and private struggles and her constant battle for self-sufficiency.

A feminist in her own right, she teaches us all about the pursuit of
personal as well as environmental freedoms and that of choosing a life
with nature instead of the unhealthy and stressful surroundings most of
us have grown to accept.

This is the first book in a powerful trilogy. You’ll want to read them
all.

“ Sometimes I sit in my log cabin as in a cocoon, sheltered by swaying
spruce from the outside world. From traffic, and noise, and liquor, and
triangles, and pollution. Life seems to have no beginning and no ending.
Only the steady expansion of trunk and root, the slow pileup of duff and
debris, the lap of water before it becomes ice, the patter of raindrops
before they turn to snowflakes.

Then the chirp of a swallow winging over the lake reminds me that…there
is always a new beginning.
Epilogue By: Anne LaBastille

278 Pages
http://www.simplitudes.com/woodswoman.html

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

QUOTE OF THE WEEK:

“Character consists of what you do on the third and forth tries.”
http://www.simplitudes.com/quotes.html

Till next time…
Peace Always,
Simplitudes
http://www.simplitudes.com

P.S. Don’t forget to check out the Web Sites of some of our sites
sponsers. Their products are unique, useful and Simplitudes gets a piece
of the action.
http://www.simplitudes.com
***