Welcome Guest!
 Adventure Plus
7.1 Experiential CPD EEE and Running River  Roger Greenaway
 Nov 21, 2007 14:45 PST

'Adventure Plus': Adventure and Experiential Education SiteFinder

<> S I T E F I N D E R <> Vol 7 Issue 1 <> ISSN 1465-8224

'Adventure Plus' is a free opt-in newsletter associated with
SiteFinder Directory: http://reviewing.co.uk/sitefinder/index.htm
edited by Dr. Roger Greenaway rog-@reviewing.co.uk

The unsubscribe link is always at the foot of Topica emails.

You are one of 599 subscribers to this newsletter. It began life
in 1998, became a monthly newsletter and then after a few long
gaps here it is again - because even with Google at your side it
is still not easy to find what you are looking for in the field
of Outdoor Adventure and Experiential Education.

The full archives can still be found at
http://reviewing.co.uk/ezine2/eed001.htm

More recent archives are at:
http://lists.topica.com/lists/sitefinder/read

That's the history - now on with the present and the future ...

<> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <>

ADVENTURE PLUS 7.1 CONTENTS

1) UK & WHAT IS EXPERIENTIAL CPD?
2) EUROPE & EXPERIENTIAL EDUCATION EUROPE
3) USA & WHERE HAS RUNNING RIVER GONE?

<> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <>

1) UK & EXPERIENTIAL CPD (continuing professional development)

Bill Krouwel writes ... Just a note to let you know of a new
list that Roger Greenaway and I have just launched. It is open to
anyone, and the aim is to promote continuing professional
development through publicising courses aimed at developing the
facilitative etc. skills of experiential and outdoor
professionals, and through putting out occasional articles and
papers of interest.

Entries are welcome from all, and there's no charge for
publicising any bona fide professional development event (from
business or charity) aimed at - or applicable to - those engaged
in experiential and outdoor learning.

You can sign up by going to http://www.reviewing.co.uk where you
will find a sign up box (top left) and a link to more
information.

<> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <>

2) EUROPE & EXPERIENTIAL EDUCATION EUROPE WEBSITES

This year I was delighted to be involved in hosting the 11th
EEEurope meeting in Scotland (see http://www.eeeurope.org) and I
am definitely booking in for next year's event in Denmark.
(Details are at the end of this section.)

I have visited some of the websites of people who attend EEEurope
events. Some of the websites with interesting pages in English
are listed below. If you speak other languages I recommend you do
a Google site search at http://www.eeeurope.org with the name of
the country whose language you speak.

AN-TURUS journeys for change
NICK RAY and RUTH BRADBROOK
On this page you will find articles that have been written about
our work, copies of our newsletters, fact sheets that we have
written about wilderness therapy, and other aspects of outdoor
therapeutic work, and finally links to the websites of our
colleagues and friends, other websites that we think will be of
interest, and a few related blogs..
http://www.an-turus.co.uk/resources.html

Experiential learning and outdoor training
JOHAN HOVELYNCK
Johan is involved in experiential training both as a practioner
and a researcher. The following publications offer his findings
and thoughts on experiential learning and on how to facilitate
this process.
http://ppw.kuleuven.be/wopp/experiental%20learning.htm

KreativAktion
GABRIEL DA FONSECA and SILKE KOERNER
The Effortless Path - A White Paper
Managing Stress with the principles of Budo
With the principles of BUD‘ - the Way of Martial Arts - it is
possible to maintain a high level of energy on a daily basis.
http://www.kreativaktion.de/eng/down/StressManagement0406.pdf

Outdoor and philosophy
HANS BOLTEN and JAC RONGEN
Hans Bolten and Jac Rongen facilitate seminars in which outdoor
activities are combined with Socratic dialogue. In their
experience, the combination of both methods for group work
ensures faster development of processes, both at the
philosophical level and the level of group dynamics.
http://www.rongen.com/english/default.htm
The Impact of Socratic Dialogue
http://digbig.com/4wajh

Sense Scotland
JOSEPH GIBSON
Climbing to communicate: An investigation into the experiences of
congenitally deafblind adults who have participated in outdoor
education. Unpublished PhD Thesis. University of Strathclyde.
http://www.sensescotland.org.uk/services/outdoor-thesis/index.php

TIM PEARSON
His articles include:
Deep Patience
The Power of Action Learning
Top Ten Ways to Ace a Job Interview
http://www.timpearson.net

The John Muir Award
ALAN SMITH
The John Muir Award is an environmental award scheme focused on
wild places. It encourages awareness and responsibility for the
natural environment, in a spirit of fun, adventure and
exploration.
http://www.jmt.org/john-muir-award.asp

OUTDOOR EDUCATION STAFF AND STUDENT RESEARCH PAPERS
AT THE UNIVERSITY OF EDINBURGH
Outdoor Education staff have a wide and varied experience in
outdoor education. Four full time staff, numerous freelance staff
and research students create a rich and vibrant community. The
combination of the staff experience is unrivalled in the UK and
arguably world-wide, the combination of academic credentials,
practical competence provides students at all levels with
challenging and enjoyable experiences both academically and
practically.
http://www.education.ed.ac.uk/outdoored/staff.html

If anyone involved with EEEurope would like to see their own
pages included in a future issue, please let me know.

If the above has whetted your appetite, then put these dates in
your diary or take a look at the website to get a fuller flavour
of what you are missing.

12th EEEurope Meeting
Houens Odde, Kolding, Denmark, May 15 - 19, 2008
(pre-conference May 12-15)
http://www.eeeurope.org

<> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <>

3) USA & WHERE HAS RUNNING RIVER GONE?

Part of the challenge of searching the web is finding great
websites that have disappeared. Running River is one such
website. Thanks to the Wayback Machine at http://www.archive.org
I was able to find Running River again. But sites can also
disappear from the Wayback Machine so don't waste time taking a
look if these article titles interest you

Meaningful Learning
The Crucial Skill of Communication
How Much Validation Do Children Need?
An Alternative Teacher's View on Alternative Education
The Attention Addiction Syndrome
Entering Your Child's World of Creativity and Imagination
How Much and Which Extra-Curricular Activities?
Inner Discipline and the Development of Real Will
Is My Child Spoiled?
Quiet Time and Transitions for Children
Read and Write Over the Summer? Yes!
Giving Children a Lifetime Gift: Responsibility
Ritual in the Lives of Children
Too Much Love
Slowing Down With Children
What's Wrong With My Child?
Nature as a Source of Deeper Nourishment for Children
The Physicality of Children

And here is how one of these article ends...

Nature as a Source of Deeper Nourishment for Children
By Nancy Monson
Extensive outdoor education should be part of every childís
schooling. But since it is not, and children spend the majority
of time in school indoors, inactive in a fully bodily sense, this
education needs to happen with the family. Go on walks in every
season, look for places little creatures live, explore places you
never would, look at the night sky and follow the progress of the
moon, watch the weather, climb tress and plant gardens. Itís up
to parents to provide these opportunities, and in the process
their own relationship to nature.

This link will take you to the full article and an index to the
others:
http://digbig.com/4wajg

<> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <>

ABOUT ADVENTURE PLUS EZINE

THE EDITOR: Dr. Roger Greenaway, Reviewing Skills Training
9 Drummond Place Lane STIRLING Scotland UK FK8 2JF
Feedback, recommendations, questions: rog-@reviewing.co.uk

ARCHIVES: http://reviewing.co.uk/archives

SiteFinder Directory: http://reviewing.co.uk/sitefinder

<> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <>

ACTIVE REVIEWING TIPS

The last issue was about 'Reviewing For All'. You can find a
copy in the archvies at http://reviewing.co.uk/archives
The next issue is about 'Reviewing for Teams'. You can sign up
for Active Reviewing Tips at http://reviewing.co.uk while you are
signing up for Experiential-CPD - if you want to announce or
receive news of CPD opportunities for outdoor or experiential
educators in the UK.

<> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <>

DISCLAIMER

The links and addresses are being provided as a service by
Reviewing Skills Training. Reviewing Skills Training neither has
nor assumes any responsibility or liability, either express or
implied, for any such links or the accuracy or completeness of
any information or service provided by any web site company or
individual to which this ezine is linked. The use of the links
provided by this ezine is on an "as is" basis and at the user's
sole risk. However, please contact Reviewing Skills Training if
you have any comments (plus or minus) about any of the free
advice, links or jokes that you have found here.