Welcome Guest!
 solarcooking-l
Tanania 2001 report  Mikeb-@aol.com
 Sep 03, 2001 14:45 PDT
Hi All

We have completed our 2001 visit so we append our report

Mike and Bridget Bridgwater

Sunseed Tanzania Trust

"Report on Mike and Bridget's 2001 visit to Dodoma

This year's visit was successful and enjoyable despite the accommodation
problems caused by the influx of visitors to Dodoma for the Parliamentary
session which coincided with our visit. The emphasis on the visit was much
more on monitoring progress and giving advice than hands-on building. We also
had the added task of introducing BESO's idea of an Integrated Community
Development Project for Dodoma Region. This was a fascinating task as the
NGOs and Government staff took it up enthusiastically and co-operated very
fully with us. Of course, we all , including BESO, were on a steep learning
curve about what the scope and shape of the exercise were. It is to
everyone's credit that misunderstandings and exasperation have up to now
largely been avoided.

1. We made many visits (see reports for individual areas) to get a clear
picture of the situation and to satisfy ourselves that Sunseed funds have
been well used and our objectives achieved

2. We worked with Justin to design a survey questionnaire (and summary
sheets for the results) to find out what proportion of cooker owners are
still using their cookers after one year, to find out what foods are used and
to confirm previously reported savings in fuel used.. Demat had estimated
that in the areas started last year that the survival rate may be no more
than 50 - 60%. These were urban areas of low incomes and shifting
populations, often of squatters who are struggling to find work or to build
up a micro-enterprise such as hawking fruit and vegetables or a very small
scale craft-based production. Justin is carrying out the survey now in
several different areas. However our original idea of visiting all the women
who had cookers built by one person or group is clearly proving very
difficult to achieve so we may not be able to establish usage rates in the
older areas accurately. We will have to rely on partners' reports, which do
now record usage rates.

3. Partners reported many problems with termites affecting those with
ng'angas so we have circulated ideas for discouraging termites:
    - ashes
    - leaves from neem trees or mjohoro trees, or an infusion of these leaves
    - water in which neem leaves have been soaked used to make a plaster to
          coat the inside of the ng'angas
    - use of a large pot (chungu) to line the hole
    - using cheaper alternatives to baskets such as large gourds with the top
cut           off, or pots

The Demat group at Chikola is going to do some experiments on anti-termite
measures.

A trial was made of a ng'anga with no insulation but the food did not cook.
This was inspired by the observation that ng'angas with little remaining
grass seemed to continue to cook - according to their users!

4. Training people from other areas of Tanzania

    - members of Dodea and Demat often teach relatives or friends from other
places, who go back home and either continue to cook or set up a group to
make more cookers.

    -   Dodea is to train some women doing the 1 year course at the Anglican
National Women's Training centre at Mtumba during the coming year. They will
use the baskets whilst at Mtumba and take them home to train others.

    -   The Lutheran women's leaders who accompanied and worked with Demat
and us for several days last year have now taught 60 women to make and use
baskets in Mpwapwa District

    -   B's friend Hilda Kundya's womens group in Dar es Salaam, where we
trained some women last year have now run more courses and are making HRCs
for sale

    -   we met and talked to the Iramba West member of Parliament, Mr Shango,
who was staying at the CCT. He was sufficiently interested to ask to visit a
group to see basket making and cooking methods and also to see ng'angas. He
then paid for a lady from Iramba who was in Dodoma for a church conference,
to stay an extra few days in Dodoma to learn how to make baskets, and is
negotiating with Demat about sending some other groups to Dodoma to be
trained.

    -   we have had a letter (the result of an article in a Donet newsletter
last year) asking for information about training and willing to pay for it,
from a development group attached to an adult Education programme in Mpwapwa
district

    -   Mrs Mawala who is concerned with Catholic Women's Groups and is a
member of both Dodea and Demat, went to Demat to learn and is busy basket
making and passing on the training to other Dodoma groups and diocesan groups
in other regions. Her own women's group represented Dodoma at the recent
Trade Fair in Dar es Salaam this year and showed basket cooking to the
President's wife and various ambassadors.

    -   M & B taught an Indian lady, Mrs Amijee to use an HRC and she is to
teach the Bohori (muslim sect) ladies grouup.

5   Funding - Help for Partners

We spent about 3 days in DSM after our arrival with representatives from
Demat and Dodea and visited various embassies and the UK high Commission. It
soon became clear that all their local and outside funding is now being
chanelled through 'hub' organisations, usually local NGOs - the British using
CARE, the Danes local municipal councils, the Norwegions and others, TATEDO.
In Dodoma we found that DMPP (Dodoma Micro Projects Program) funded by
theDutch SNV has also become a 'hub'. These organisations will decide who
gets funding and will monitor the projects, but will not carry them out
themselves. We also visited TATEDO, as our partners had never done so before,
and they were very interested in the variety if locally made cookers and
ovens etc. The are both making applications to TATEDO relating to getting
help in training people in Dodma to make some of their cookers

    - we have promised to find out whether 'Tool for Africa' or a similar
charity would consider supplying some of the partners' small groups engaged
in carpentry or metal work. Obviously they both hope for funds through the
BESO scheme.

6. Partners Future Plans.

Next year Dodea will start in only 2 new villages. Demat in no new areas.
Both understand that 4000 each is all that can be guaranteed. We have seen
Dodeas estimates for next year. Both want to do more to help income
generating activities - some of these requests have arisen from HRC groups,
though not all, or from their success.

Neither of them have included the Domestic Energy project in their
submissions to BESO, so it would be possible for Sunseed to ask BESO to
continue to support us. Dodea have made a very wide ranging application to
BESO covering many aspects of their work. DEMAT are applying for help with
several community income generating activities.

The sharing/ hiring of transport between partners was not a success. We hope
there will be better liaison between them through the ICDP.

7. BESO plans for an ICDP

We did not find the task of contacting groups who might wish to join in the
ICDP too time consuming. On the contrary, it provided occupation and interest
for the times when we were not visiting or doing other work for the DEP, and
of course Mrs Senyagwa was a great help in providing a starting list of
participants and calling them to a meeting. There seemed to be a general
consensus on the need for better development planning and integration of
projects. The major common thread in plans put forward by NGOs concerned the
need for better marketing for agricultural products, leading to better
prices, better access to markets and greater employment in processing and
packing. Apart from this a variety of needs were identified and suggestions
put forward for possible action. We discussed the suggestions or proposals
with officials of each of the NGOs and Govt depts concerned, usually at their
place of work and were able to get a better idea of what they were doing
already and wished to achieve in the future. We have brought the final
versions of their submissions back to UK and have handed them over to BESO.

8. Miscellaneous

Water pasteurisation. We didn't make much progress. TATEDO suggested getting
in touch with Dr Kimamba from DSM University about finding local wax suitable
for cheap WAPIs. We did send an e-mail to him having heard that he was coming
to Dodoma, but heard nothing from him. We think that the SODIS method (solar
disinfection using ultra violet light in the sunshine without significant
heating) even if not 100% effective may be the most useful for those at
present drinking untreated water from surface sources, but there are big
problems over how village people could get suitable containers and there
wasn't time to sort out a test of the effectiveness of the technique in local
conditions.

At the end of our stay we made a relector to see if this would reduce the
amount of firewood, which is used in huge quantities, for salt preparation
from brine leached from salt rich soil for a group making salt at Kiterera
near Nzuguni, but we never heard whether this reduced the amount of wood
needed to make salt. A much more formal trial of solar evaporation is really
needed. But the very small scale of production may not justify this unless
there was a prospect of increasing the output if solar evaporation proved
feasible.

Sunseed Publicity Video - we were not able to contact Helen Masanja and so
left it at Donet. We left them with a scenario and script to shoot additional
material and asked Mr Mshuda to quote for the cost of this. They would be
willing to do this work for us if we felt it were worth while.

Dodea moved into a new office with a lot more space just before we left and
will be able to run their office much more effectively. W also handed over a
laptop computer running windows 97 to Mr Mgongolwa - the new accountant, who
is over the moon with it and was already producing very professional tables
with it. We promised to find a copy of MYOB (an accounts package he is
already familiar with), if anyone knows of a source please let Mike know.

9. Conclusion

The partners and we need to think carefully about Sunseed's role in the
future as there could be a number of alternatives.

factors include

- the partners would like us with help and advice on other technologies.

- we have had many requests to work in other geographical areas

but

- these would depend on the levels of funding we can achieve.

- recruitment of volunteers with appropriate knowledge and experience

or

- partnership with other first world NGOs"