Welcome Guest!
 Break the Cycle!
Stepfamily inFormation articles  pilgr-@aol.com
 Jul 02, 2006 07:51 PDT
Hi. Would you agree that any "addiction" is an unconscious attempt to reduce unbearable inner pain - i.e. shame + guilts + fears + sadness + frustration + anger + despair? Would you agree that addiction denial is a normal attempt to avoid facing this scary reality?

     A common stressor in many troubled and divorcing biofamilies and typical stepfamilies is the effects of one or more ancestral or current adults' or kids' addictions. Our society doesn't teach most people addiction and addiction-recovery basics and what addictions mean. Typical co-parents (like you?) aren't interested in learning these, unless they and/or their family is significantly stressed now.

    Could someone in your family be addicted now? If so, could you be denying that and/or what that means to all your members, and what your options are? Scan and discuss this new series of Stepfamily inFormation articles on these important topics, starting here:

http://sfhelp.org/01/addiction1.htm

Also, scan this new index to all the worksheets in the nonprofit Stepfamily inFormation Web site:

http://sfhelp.org/11/wks_index.htm

   And - to fully appreciate what our American ancestors sacrificed to bring us the independence from British tyranny we take for granted, I recommend reading Jeff Shaara's absorbing historical novels "Rise to Rebellion" and "The Glorious Cause."

    May your summer be healthy, interesting, and memorable for all the best reasons -

- Pete

Peter K. Gerlach, MSW; author and founder
nonprofit Stepfamily inFormation program (sfhelp.org)
Retired Board member, Stepfamily Association of America