Welcome Guest!
 Steph's Stuff
04-12-12 (Connection)  Stephanie McIver
 Apr 12, 2012 07:16 PDT

Steph’s Stuff
04-12-12
(Connection)

The ways of connection in the twenty-first century are myriad. I had a
meeting yesterday afternoon. We’d agreed on time and place, but as I
drove to the appointed Starbucks, my phone rang. I hit the speaker and
the man I was meeting told me he was running a little late—and could we
change to another coffee place—closer to where he was? “No problem,” I
said. “I just hope they have Wi-Fi. I want to look at the website—and
also our Facebook page, so we can talk about how we want to maintain
it.”

I got there a few minutes before he did. I asked the guy at the
counter. “Do you have Wi-Fi?” He looked at the clock and said, “We
will in about half an hour. It goes off at lunchtime for a few hours.”
Huh? I found a table and plugged my laptop into the power outlet,
busying myself with reviewing documents and minutes from other meetings.

My friend showed up. I told him about the Wi-Fi situation. He just
shrugged and we got down to business, discussing how we want to move
forward in getting out information and messages that will bring new
(younger) members to our community service organization. I asked him,
“How do you recruit? You’re a bit of a novelty in the club.” Young,
professional, upwardly mobile—yet he has a heart for service—and for the
largely retired population of our group. I myself became connected with
them through the man I work for—and he has been a member for almost 50
years. They asked me to join for my writing skills—I’m one of the
younger members, and as a woman, also in the minority. (I enjoy
it—those old guys like to flirt with me—and it’s fun!)

Our Wi-Fi came through a few minutes later. We reviewed the club’s
website, noting there were broken links on the banner page. He
confessed to me that even though he was in his twenties, he wasn’t much
of a techie himself. “I was so thrilled when you said you would help
with the Facebook page, because I don’t have a CLUE how to do that!” He
said this gratefully. I gulped and confessed, “Neither do I, but I’m
willing to learn.” One major obstacle will be getting the rest of the
club on board and promoting this effort. I know I need to connect to
other younger and savvier people to accomplish this.

But as we concluded our meeting, that young, professional and very
dapper young man came around the table and gave me a hug. I realized
that our connection is more that just the goals of our service
organization. He is a believer, the son of missionaries. We LIKE each
other. I thanked him for his time and he said “No—thank YOU. I am so
blessed that you have come on board—and I know that together we can do
great things.” Then he left—he had another appointment—to be a
volunteer coach at the high school. He was a big track star at U of
O—and he’s paying it forward.

The words from the song ‘Jesus Christ Superstar’ came to mind.
(Voice of Judas)
“Every time I look at you
I don't understand
Why you let the things you did
Get so out of hand
You'd have managed better
If you'd had it planned
Now why'd you choose such a backward time
And such a strange land?

If you'd come today
You could have reached the whole nation
Israel in 4 BC had no mass communication.” (Andrew Lloyd Weber)

This is true. Even now, as I watch the latest gadgets and goodies,
skillfully put to use by these youngsters, I’m feeling like a dinosaur,
left in the dust. But He assures me that just as He was able to
communicate back in those ancient times, His word continues to go out
today. The irony is that though we have lightning fast methods to
communicate with every corner of the globe, so many continue to ignore
Him.

I might have an I phone—and a laptop—and Wi-Fi in every coffee joint in
the city, but none of those things mean diddly unless I am firmly
connected to His power source.

“Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by
itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless
you remain in me. “I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain
in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do
nothing. If you do not remain in me, you are like a branch that is
thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the
fire and burned.” John 15:4-6 (NIV)

Where are you connected? Are you on the cutting edge of technology—or
is your source of power a well-loved and dog eared King James Version?
I guess I’m somewhere in the middle—and that’s okay. The fastest, most
effective and powerful connection ever created is love—and through Him,
we can put that out there. Even if the Wi-Fi is off. Even if we don’t
look young and fashionable, dapper and ‘in the know’.

His ways are not our ways—and He knew about Wi Fi long before the world
began. I think He can handle it. But you and I are here, now. Let’s
not forget where our true connection needs to come from.

Fondly,
Stephanie