Welcome Guest!
 Steph's Stuff
04-15-12 (New Day)  Stephanie McIver
 Apr 15, 2012 06:42 PDT

Steph’s Stuff
04-15-12
(New Day)

Inspirations to write these words come from the oddest places. This
morning it was my coffee mug, proclaiming the reminder that ‘Today is a
new beginning’. This is one of my favorite coffee mugs—and I’m picky.
It’s spring green. It’s BIG. It proclaims a message I need to hear a
lot.

My life was very different when I purchased this mug at a Women of Faith
conference in Portland a few years ago. I was in love and the man I was
‘in love’ with gave me money to buy something wonderful for myself at
this conference. I went for the big package—a tote bag filled with
books, CDs—and a spring green coffee mug. The theme of the conference
was ‘Brand New Day’. I believed at the time that I was about to embark
on a new life with this new man.

I was wrong.

Praise GOD that I was wrong! But the mug was right. It WAS a brand new
day, because in the aftermath and pain of that broken relationship, I
gave up the control to choose how my life would play out.

Every morning, of course, is a brand new day. His mercies are new every
morning. We get a fresh start—but we also must review the accumulation
of the past in this brand new day. We have a choice. Can we start
digging out of the mess—or continue to let it suck us down? Will we
embrace the truths and wisdom that He has shown us on this new morning?
Or will we go right back to the old ‘stuff’ that got us here in the
first place?

As I look out the window and see the breaking dawn, there are still
clouds because, yes I still live in Oregon. But the sunshine we enjoyed
yesterday was a welcome reminder of warm days to come, both in this life
and the next. I stood outside yesterday, as my friends continued to
shop the aisles of vintage and new merchandise at Blackberry Junction,
an event for people who love primitives and quilts, bric a brac and
whimsy. I got pulled in a little. I bought a few goodies, but not
many. I took pictures of some of the things I DIDN’T buy—and that was
enough. They are not cluttering up my house this morning and that’s a
good thing. I’ve decided that in this new life, many of those
whimsical, primitive and ‘seemed like a good idea at the time’ items
will be getting new homes in the days ahead, because I need to lighten
the load for my brand new days.

As I stood in a parking lot in Albany, I turned my face to the sun, its
warmth a welcome blessing on my face. I let the world recede and I
heard His voice, telling me that this little respite was a small glimpse
of His glory in the future. Heaven in a parking lot? Yes. He is
everywhere.

“And we believers also groan, even though we have the Holy Spirit within
us as a foretaste of future glory, for we long for our bodies to be
released from sin and suffering. We, too, wait with eager hope for the
day when God will give us our full rights as his adopted children,
including the new bodies he has promised us.” Romans 8:23 (NLT)

I am ready for that, aren’t you?

He says, “No, you’re not ready yet. You’re still here—and I will work
in your old beat up body. I will break through and give revelations to
that scattered brain of yours, because you are mine, I love you, and
there is still work to be done. Don’t give up. Don’t forget to call My
name. Look for the blessings I will send—in a graveled parking lot—or a
beach at sunset. In the giggles of young ones—or the tears of old
friends whose hands you will hold on hard days.

And keep coming to this place every morning. People look for your
words, you know. Don’t get puffed up and proud about that, because you
and I both know where those words come from.

Today IS a brand new day. We don’t know where we’ll be a few years from
now, but He does. My hope is that I’ll be closer to Him than ever, more
and more reliant on His provisions. Father knows best—and with the
infusion of love from my Savior and friend and the guidance and help of
the Spirit He sent me, I will continue to be amazed at each and every
brand new day.

Fondly,
Stephanie