Welcome Guest!
 streetphoto
RE: Steve Le Huray  John Matturri
 Sep 24, 2003 11:16 PDT

In my experience institutions are a tough nut to crack. They have
limited storage space and there is the expense of cataloging, etc.

In one case we were trying to place the work of an artist who died young
just as she was beginning to make a reputation. She was connected with a
group of artists that made it very big and that were instrumental in
making Soho what it was and she shows up from time to time in the books
and occasionally in exhibits -- so there was some historical importance.
No institution was willing to take her work, however, which had been
rotting away in a damp basement. Eventually Rauchenberg generously gave
money for an exhibit and the work had to be distributed from that to
friends. Nice to have a drawing on my wall, even though I didn't know
her personally, but not the best solution.

On the other hand, perhaps a historical society or library in the
Annapolis area might be interested, if the estate wants to place the
pictures.

John M.

brian david stevens wrote:

would a museum or even the Leica Gallery take it on?
Steve's work would be an excellent historical document for future
generations