Welcome Guest!
 FOS
FOS Newsletter, 10/19/01  Peter Suber
 Oct 19, 2001 09:05 PDT
      Welcome to the Free Online Scholarship (FOS) Newsletter
      October 19, 2001

Follow-up on journal editor resignations

* If you're just tuning in, last week we reported that 40 editors of
_Machine Learning Journal_ resigned in order to protest the subscription
price and online access policies of its publisher, Kluwer. One of the
editors, Leslie Pack Kaelbling, created the _Journal of Machine Learning
Research_ (JMLR) as a free online alternative.

* Some corrections and further details to the story have been posted to our
discussion forum and others have come in by private email. Here are the
highlights. Robert Holte, executive editor of MLJ, reports that about a
third of the MLJ editors did not resign, considerably more than the
"handful" I described. Holte also points out that Kluwer now allows author
self-archiving and gives free online access to its own copies of accepted
MLJ articles, though only until the articles appear in print. However,
Kluwer didn't tell Holte about this change of policy until October 11,
after the 40 editors' public letter of resignation. It appears that the
resignations, or perhaps the public letter explaining them, triggered a
policy change that Kluwer would not have made otherwise. Leslie Pack
Kaelbling, editor of JMLR and my source for the story, agrees that Kluwer's
new online access policy is a very reasonable one. She says that if MLJ
had allowed author self-archiving earlier, she would not have resigned from
MLJ or launched JMLR.

Robert Holte's response to last week's article and to the public letter of
resignation
http://www.topica.com/lists/fos-forum/read/message.html?mid=901930228&sort=d&start=33

* Paul Ginsparg of arXiv and Leslie Pack Kaelbling exchanged some emails
about JMLR's costs and how it meets them. I was copied in and can offer
this summary. Since JMLR receives no revenue from MIT Press, its editorial
costs are not subsidized by the subscription fees MIT collects for the
print edition of the journal. Editors and reviewers generally donate their
time. Authors do their own PDF formatting. Fixed costs like the domain
name, software, and legal fees for creating a non-profit corporation, will
be more than covered by donations already in hand or committed. Network
space is donated by the MIT AI Lab, where Kaelbling works. While MLJ
published about 50 papers per year, JMLR started with 11 papers last year
and will double that this year. JMLR received 150 papers last year, and
spent about 600 editor-hours processing them.

* In the postscript to last week's story, I asked whether there were other
cases like _Machine Learning_, the _Journal of Logic Programming_, and
_Evolutionary Ecology_ in which the editor or editorial board resigned to
protest the publisher's high subscription price and formed a new journal.

George Porter of CalTech's Fairchild Library of Engineering & Applied
Science wrote to tell me about Henry Hagedorn's resignation as editor of
the _Archives of Insect Biochemistry & Physiology_ (Wiley-Liss) in order to
form the _Journal of Insect Science_ (University of Arizona library). JIS
is a free online journal with no print edition. It plans to offset the
costs of online publication with author fees. As with the other cases, its
birth and early survival were assisted by SPARC.

Henry Hagedorn's public letter of resignation and call for change
http://insectscience.org/about/callforchange.htm

[old journal] Archives of Insect Biochemistry & Physiology
http://www.interscience.wiley.com/jpages/0739-4462/

[new journal] Journal of Insect Science
http://insectscience.org/

* Here's a better link than the one I published in the last issue for the
background on Michael Rosenzweig's resignation from _Evolutionary Ecology_
in order to launch _Evolutionary Ecology Research_.
http://www.arl.org/sparc/rosenzweig.html

----------

What will it profit you to gain [free online scholarship] and lose your
very [connectivity]? Luke 9:25.

Is the internet really vulnerable to massive failure from deliberate
attacks? I admit that this is one scenario about the risk of FOS for which
I have no ready answer. I can say that such attacks are unlikely. But is
this just wishful thinking? I can say that FOS relies on distributed
archives which cannot all be destroyed, even if the connections among them
are temporarily severed. But I don't really know the maximum destructive
potential of viruses and worms. I can say that we shouldn't slacken our
efforts to enhance research and education just because these efforts could
be undermined by determined wrongdoers. If that consideration could
suspend FOS initiatives, then it could suspend all constructive
activity. But clearly I cannot say that FOS would still be useful if the
internet itself were deeply unreliable or largely destroyed. Worse than
useless, a shift to FOS could be dangerous if we let other forms of
publication atrophy and then experienced a digital apocalypse.

So far I haven't heard any critic of FOS or lobbyist for commercial
publishers call for a pause until the internet can be hardened against
attack. But it's healthy to anticipate the objection and think about how
to answer it. (How could you persuade a clay-tablet culture to make the
move to paper at a time when some prognosticators fear arson?)

How reasonable is the fear? How likely are terrorist attacks on the
internet? How vulnerable is it to attack? Here are the views of eight
people who have studied the problem. (I cite the sources below.)

Steve Bellovin, security expert for AT&T: "There is a substantial risk of
someone taking out the internet. That capability absolutely exists."

Bruce Schneier, security and encryption expert now with Counterpane
Internet Security: "The Internet is not as robust as people think. Among
security people, it's well-known --someone could take out enough of the
thing so it's all gone, for weeks or months."

Dave Dobrotka, former security system administrator for the U.S. Air
Force's Information Warfare Center: "I've seen reports comparing computer
readiness of the Internet to airport security before the terrorist attacks."

Alan Paller, Director of the System Administration, Networking, and
Security (SANS) Institute: "The Internet is simply not ready because of
these vulnerabilities; we're not ready to withstand a major attack."

William Wulf, president of the National Academy of Engineering: "Frankly,
I was simply appalled by how very little progress [on network security] had
been made in the past 15 years....We have to think about an active
defense. Everything we have done so far has been passive."

Richard Forno, CTO for Shadowlogic and consultant to the Defense Department
on information warfare: "I'm just not impressed with the overall United
States government infrastructure assurance effort."

Report from the National Infrastructure Protection Center
(NIPC): "Although the cyber protests seen today have already caused
limited damage, the potential for future attacks could bring about large
economic losses as well as potentially severe damage to the national
infrastructure, affecting global markets as well as public safety."

John Tritak, Director of the U.S. Critical Intrastructure Assurance Office
(CIAO): "Infrastructure owners and operators have always had primary
responsibility for protecting their physical assets against unauthorized
intruders. Yet these measures, however effective they might otherwise be,
were generally not designed to cope with significant military or terrorist
threats."

Keith Epstein, Taking Out the Net (Bellovin and Schneier quotations)
http://www.washtech.com/news/netarch/13079-1.html

Howard Wolinsky, Cyber-jihad could be chaotic, even deadly (Dobrotka
quotation)
http://www.suntimes.com/output/terror/cst-nws-cyber14.html

Patrick Thibodeau, FBI, SANS Institute: Internet 'not ready' for
attack (Paller quotation)
http://www.computerworld.com/storyba/0,4125,NAV47_STO64384,00.html?OpenDocument&~f

Dan Carnevale, Congress is Urged to Spend More on Research Into Ways to
Counter Cyberterrorism (Wulf quotation)
http://chronicle.com/free/2001/10/2001101101t.htm

Michelle Delio, Cyberwar Foundering on Feuds? (Forno quotation)
http://www.wired.com/news/conflict/0,2100,47403,00.html

Brian Krebs, FBI Warns Of Increased Hacktivism, Cyber Protests (NIPC
quotation)
http://www.newsbytes.com/news/01/171178.html

October 4 Senate testimony of John S. Tritak, Director of the U.S.
CIAO (Tritak quotation)
http://www.senate.gov/~gov_affairs/100401tritak.htm

* Postscript. On May 22, 1998, Bill Clinton signed Presidential Decision
Directive #63, which created the National Infrastructure Protection Center
(NIPC) and its Critical Infrastructure Assurance Office (CIAO). Michelle
Delio (cited above) reports that there are now turf wars between Clinton's
NIPC and Bush's Homeland Security Office, which interfere with efforts to
protect U.S. infrastructure. Here are some additional links on internet
vulnerability and protection.

National Infrastructure Protection Center (NIPC)
http://www.nipc.gov/

NIPC report on the threat to the U.S. information infrastructure (October 2001)
http://www.nipc.gov/cyberprotests.pdf

Critical Intrastructure Assurance Office (CIAO)
http://www.ciao.gov/

Clinton Administration white paper behind Presidential Decision Directive 63
http://www.fas.org/irp/offdocs/paper598.htm

George Bush's panel to prevent cyberterrorism
http://www.siliconvalley.com/docs/news/tech/027860.htm

Institute for the Advanced Study of Information Warfare
http://www.psycom.net/iwar.1.html

EPIC's Critical Infrastructure Protection Resources
http://www.epic.org/security/infowar/resources.html

The SANS Institute, The Twenty Most Critical Internet Security
Vulnerabilities, Version 2.100 (October 2)
http://66.129.1.101/top20.htm

Vulnerability Notes Database from the CERT Coordination Center
http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls

The National Institute of Standards and Technology recently awarded $5
million in grants to improve internet security.
http://www.newsbytes.com/news/01/170738.html
(Just $5 million?)

Infoshop.org's page on Info War, Netwar, Cyberwar
http://www.infoshop.org/iwar.html
(not up to date)

* PPS. Would terrorists take down the internet if they need it for
communication and organization? I don't know. Maybe those who use it are
at odds with those who are terrified by post-medieval life, including the
Taliban who banned the internet completely from Afghanistan in July (see
FOSN for 7/17/01). But the evidence is that many terrorist groups do use
the internet.

* PPPS. As I go to press, the AP is reporting that President Bush wants to
change the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) so that details about attacks
on computer networks need not be made public. This is intended to
encourage the reporting of attacks on private companies, which might lose
business if their customers thought them vulnerable. If the loss of this
FOIA information will hinder research into internet security, then this
move puts corporate PR ahead of national security and the public interest.
http://www.nando.net/technology/story/147053p-1435336c.html

----------

netLibrary on the block

netLibrary has failed to find funding and started looking for a
buyer. netLibrary hosts 33,000+ ebooks to which libraries can purchase
access, after which the library's patrons can borrow the ebooks
electronically, subject to the usual rules of borrowing periods and
simultaneous users. Librarians are worried that, if netLibrary goes out of
business, then the ebooks for which they have paid licenses will simply
disappear.

Some libraries apparently anticipated this development and have terms in
their netLibrary contracts allowing them to keep the ebook files they have
licensed along with software to read them. But other libraries did not
apparently bargain to include these terms in their agreements.

Earlier this year, netLibrary struck a deal with OCLC, although its exact
bearing on a netLibrary bankruptcy is not clear. The copy of the agreement
on the netLibrary site says only that OCLC will store back-up copies of
netLibrary's ebooks. But the copy of the agreement at OCLC says that each
netLibrary customer will receive a copy of the entire netLibrary inventory,
along with software to read it, in case netLibrary goes out of
business. Some librarians posting to the ERIL list believe that the OCLC
bail out only affects libraries who paid extra for it.

Public statement from Rob Kaufman (President and CEO) and Rich Rosy (VP),
from the LibLicense email list
http://www.library.yale.edu/~llicense/ListArchives/0110/msg00033.html

OCLC copy of the netLibrary-OCLC agreement
http://www.mlc.lib.mi.us/public/communique/may01/May2001p6.htm

netLibrary copy of the net-Library OCLC agreement
http://www.netlibrary.com/about_us/company_info/press_releases/June061601pr1.asp

Jeffrey Young, E-Book Provider netLibrary Puts Itself Up for Sale, Worrying
Librarians
http://www.chronicle.com/free/2001/10/2001101802t.htm

Erika Stutzman, NetLibrary put up for sale
http://www.thedailycamera.com/business/tech/13bnetl.html

Richard Crocker, NetLibrary Fails to Attract Investment, Looks for Buyer
http://www.planetebook.com/mainpage.asp?webpageid=256

netLibrary
http://www.netlibrary.com/

----------

Developments

* Next month, Oxford's Refugee Studies Centre (RSC) will put its Forced
Migration Digital Library online. The archive consists of RSC's own
collection of grey literature along with material from Tufts University’s
Feinstein International Famine Center and Columbia University’s Program on
Forced Migration. The result will be the world's largest archive on
refugees and on forced migration.

David Cohen's report in the _Chronicle of Higher Education_
http://chronicle.com/free/2001/10/2001101601t.htm

Oxford's Refugee Studies Centre
http://www.qeh.ox.ac.uk/rsp/

RSC description of the Forced Migration Digital Library
http://www.qeh.ox.ac.uk/rsp/deeganru.html

* On October 10, the three DOI Registration Agencies (CrossRef, Content
Directions, and Enpia Systems) demonstrated the commercial potential of
DOI's. The demonstrations showed that DOIs can facilitate the sale of
digital content and track the distribution of copyrighted
material. (PS: A DOI is an identification code for a digital object like
an online article, book, or book chapter. The DOI system is neutral
technology that helps both FOS and commercial publishers. DOI's help FOS
by providing the infrastructure for automatic reference linking, permanent
URLs, and the retrieval of metadata to accompany any content of
interest. They help commercial publishers by supporting DRM and access rules.)
http://www.doi.org/news/011009-Frank-English.html

* Openly Informatics has released 1Cate adapter, the first commercial
software to assist digital libraries in implementing CrossRef citation links.
http://www.openly.com/pr/pr15.html

* The Ashcroft Justice Department has filed a motion to dismiss Edward
Felten's claim that he has a First Amendment right to publish his
encryption research (see FOSN for 8/16/01). The DOJ motion does not argue
that Felten's claim is without merit, only that it is premature because
Felten has not been prosecuted. Felten is asking a federal court for a
"declaratory judgment" (legalese for a declaration) that he has a First
Amendment right to publish his research precisely so that he needn't fear,
or wait for, prosecution. (Download warning: the government motion is 1.6
MB.)
http://www.eff.org/Legal/Cases/Felten_v_RIAA/20010925_doj_mtd_memo.pdf

* Graham Allen, a Labour MP, has proposed that every new bill, after its
first reading, be posted to the internet for two months of public comment
before the House of Commons can take it up for further action.
http://politics.guardian.co.uk/whitehall/story/0,9061,568673,00.html

* The University of Central England's Center for Information Research has
launched eVALUEd, a project to evaluate e-libraries in higher education and
their practices.
http://www.cie.uce.ac.uk/evalued/

* Amazon.com now offers a smidgen of free online content. Its new "Look
Inside" program lets you look at sample pages before deciding whether to
buy. This would be like book shopping in meatspace except that the number
of sample pages is limited and you don't get to pick the pages to
view. Right now, 25,000 books have sample pages online, with more to come.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/books/0679451234/reader/ref=b_lib_sk_7/103-6827284-6895823

Amazon can't offer more than its cooperating publishers want to offer, of
course. But in deciding whether the cooperating publishers are being
generous or chintzy, it's worth remembering that National Academy Press
lets web users sample *all* pages of its books before (or instead of)
buying. NAP insists that this practice increases its sales (see FOSN for
9/14/01). Now NAP doesn't publish fiction. Is there any reason to think
that its policy of free online access will work better for its line of
research non-fiction than for Amazon's best sellers in fiction and general
non-fiction?
http://books.nap.edu/

----------

New on the net

* Between now and March 2002, you are invited to take part in a virtual
symposium, "Screens and networks: towards a new relationship with the
written word." Every two weeks starting October 15, a new paper will be
posted to the symposium web site and discussed electronically by the
symposium's speakers and other participants. The first paper, now under
discussion, is Roger Chartier's "Readers and Readings in the Electronic
Age." If you register, you can receive the papers and discussion postings
by email and (apparently) post your own discussion comments. At its
completion, the symposium will be published in electronic form and as a
printed book. The symposium is hosted by the Bibliothèque publique
d'information (BPI), Centre Pompidou, the Institut Jean Nicod (CNRS), and
EURO-EDU, with additional funds from GiantChair.com and UNESCO.
http://www.text-e.org/

* The September 11 Archive is now online (see FOSN for 9/21/01). It
consists of web pages submitted at the archive site or bookmarked by
volunteers with a javascript button they download to their browser
toolbar. The archive is sponsored by Alexa Internet, the Internet Archive,
the Library of Congress, the Pew Internet and American Life Project,
WebArchivist.org.
http://150.156.112.3/main.plx

* A beta version of the September 11 Television Archive is now
online. This is a collection of multi-lingual, worldwide TV broadcasts
from September 11-17 as well as scholarly and op-ed commentaries on the TV
coverage from that period. The broadcasts are viewable in RealPlayer or
QuickTime format, and visitors may write reviews of each clip. It's
definitely creepy to take current knowledge back to the moment of
discovery, and watch (for example) the hosts of "Good Morning America" chat
merrily with Fergie about her latest diet, then cut to a commercial, return
with live pictures of the first WTC tower burning, and struggle to
understand what they are seeing until the second plane comes into view.
http://client.alexa.com/tvarchive/html/

* The American Bar Association has collected links to vendors of law books
and research services willing to help law libraries in New York and
Washington recover from the September 11 attacks by donating replacement
volumes, research assistance, and temporary passwords.
http://www.abanet.org/tech/ltrc/site-tation/September2001.html#first

* JISC and DNER have announced an online index of the _London Times_ from
1790 to 1980. Access will not be free, although institutions may sign up
for a free 90 day trial.
http://www.jisc.ac.uk/dner/collections/oit.html

* MedLine Plus has created a sub-archive of news and research articles on
chemical and biological weapons.
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/biologicalandchemicalweapons.html

* The proceedings of the July conference at Stanford on the Semantic Web
are now online.
http://www.semanticweb.org/SWWS/program/index.html

* The second beta of the dbXML Core XML database is now online and
downloadable. The dbXML Core is a native XML database, written in open
source Java, designed to manage an archive of XML documents.
http://www.dbxml.org/

* The National and University Library of Iceland, Cornell University, and
the Árni Magnússon Institute have launched Saganet, a free online archive
of medieval Icelandic literature, including the sagas. The archive
includes 380,000 manuscript pages and 145,000 printed pages, both primary
sources and pre-20th century critical studies.
http://saga.library.cornell.edu/

* The proceedings of the May conference in Atlanta, Virtual Libraries in
the New Millenium, are now online.
http://www.solinet.net/presvtn/vl/vlibraries.htm

* On October 25 or 26, tune in to Ian Witten's webcast, Browsing Around A
Digital Library.
http://www.cs.washington.edu/htbin-post/mvis/mvis/Abstract/Ian/Witten

* Steve Baldwin Associates has created The Museum of E-Failure, an archive
of web pages from dead dot-coms.
http://www.disobey.com/ghostsites/

* The July-September issue of eCulture just came out. Email subscribers
got their issues this week. The web version should be at this URL, but
wasn't yet online when I send this issue.
http://www.cordis.lu/ist/ka3/digicult/newsletter.html

----------

In other publications

* In the October 15 _DigiNews_, William Lund compares the available
products to help build digital collections, and offers his library's
criteria for selecting the most useful.
http://www.rlg.org/preserv/diginews/diginews5-5.html#feature1

* Also in the October _DigiNews_, Maria Bonn reviews the costs and methods
of the University of Michigan's huge digitization project, The Making of
America. The Mellon Foundation funded the project in part to see the
collection digitized and in part to generate this report on how to do it
and how much it costs.
http://www.rlg.org/preserv/diginews/diginews5-5.html#feature2

* In the October 12 _Chronicle of Higher Education_ Andrea Foster
interviews Jessica Litman, author of _Digital Copyright_ (Prometheus Books,
2001). Litman argues in her book that the DMCA reflects the interests of
publishers and ignores the interests of readers and consumers. Quoting
Litman, "If people on a widespread basis simply disrespect the copyright
law, then all copyright owners are the losers, and I'm hoping they'll be
realistic about that, and go back to the drawing board and come up with
something a little more reasonable."
http://chronicle.com/free/2001/10/2001101202t.htm

Table of contents and excerpts from Litman's book.
http://www.msen.com/~litman/digital-copyright/

* In the October _RLG Focus_, Steve Hensen gives an overview of the RLG
Cultural Materials alliance, an integrated virtual collection (not free)
built from the sub-collections of many member libraries. David Richards
describes the system's infrastructure and how it is built.
http://www.rlg.org/r-focus/i52.html#rlg
http://www.rlg.org/r-focus/i52.html#building

* In the October _D-Lib Magazine_, Brewster Kahle, Rick Prelinger, and Mary
Jackson argue that universal digital access is attainable. "Currently, the
technology has reached the point where scanning all books, digitizing all
audio recordings, downloading all websites, and recording the output of all
TV and radio stations is not only feasible but less costly than buying and
storing the physical versions." For a near-term strategy they propose a
combination of copyright conservancies, digital interlibrary loans, and
direct digital lending.
http://www.dlib.org/dlib/october01/kahle/10kahle.html

* Also in the October _D-Lib_, Kevin Boyack, Brian Wylie, and George
Davidson show how software tools for visualizing or mapping internet
content by topic can illuminate the scholarly landscape. In their worked
example, they use the maps to conclude that researchers are neglecting
certain rich opportunities for interdisciplinary study. But apart from
their example, they show one more service that can be brought to bear on
scholarly literature once it is freely accessible online as data to pass to
increasingly sophisticated software. It's the best recent proof that we
have barely begun to imagine how to realize the full potential of the
internet for research and scholarship.
http://www.dlib.org/dlib/october01/boyack/10boyack.html

* Also in the October _D-Lib_, Ian Witten, David Bainbridge, and Stefan
Boddie review Greenstone, the open source software system for digital
libraries.
http://www.dlib.org/dlib/october01/witten/10witten.html

* Also in the October _D-Lib_, Sally Jo Cunningham reports on the 5th
European Conference on Digital Libraries (September 4-9 in Darmstadt), and
Christine Borgman and Heather Hessel report on the First Joint Conference
on Digital Libraries (June 24-28 in Roanoke).
http://www.dlib.org/dlib/october01/cunningham/10cunningham.html
http://www.dlib.org/dlib/october01/borgman/10borgman.html

* In the October _Charleston Advisor_, Irvin Muchnik has an op-ed about
writing and publishing in the Post-Tasini world.
http://charlestonco.com/features.cfm?id=75&type=ed

* In October OCLC and RLG released their joint working group report on
preservation metadata.
http://www.oclc.org/research/pmwg/contentinformation.pdf

* In the September 10 _Forbes_, Daniel McFadden describes a tragedy of the
commons in the online world of commercial content. Free online content is
a public good, but its value to individuals is too "dispersed and small" to
induce them to pay the costs of creating and organizing it. So its quality
degenerates. As a result, he predicts more AOL and Microsoft in our
future, and less free online content. (PS: By focusing on commercial
content, he doesn't mention a similar but different enclosure of the
commons for scholarship. Research articles are donated by their authors as
if to the academic commons; but they become the private property of journal
publishers who deprive the public of free access.) McFadden won the 2000
Nobel Prize in economics.
http://www.forbes.com/asap/2001/0910/061.html

* Miriam Schconik has posted to the web her doctoral dissertation on
e-readers, the dedicated reading platforms for ebooks. In the dissertation
she explores how adults read ebooks differently from pbooks, and what kinds
of reading are best suited to these platforms. Her results are based on a
survey of 105 people. (Download warning: the dissertation is 2.2 MB.)
http://www.planetebook.com/downloads/schcolnik.pdf

* ARL has posted to its web site the report for Phase II of its project to
measure the use and value of electronic resources.
http://www.arl.org/stats/newmeas/emetrics/index.html

----------

Catching up

* In August, CLIR put online its report, _Building and Sustaining Digital
Collections: Models for Libraries and Museums_.
http://www.clir.org/pubs/reports/pub100/pub100.pdf

* In July, DLF and CLIR put online Tim Jewell's report on how research
libraries manage (select, license, present, and support the use of) their
digital collections, especially those with components provided by
commercial vendors.
http://www.clir.org/pubs/reports/pub99/pub99.pdf

* In June, NIH launched ARCHIVE-COMM-L, a listserv for its Image Archive
Steering Committee. The primary list topic is the archiving of digital
medical images.
http://list.nih.gov/archives/archive-comm-l.html

----------

No comment

Lobbyists for the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA), with
the support of the Motion Picture Association of America, proposed an
amendment to the recently passed anti-terrorist act that would have
immunized copyright owners from liability for hacking into private
computers in order to delete files that violate their copyrights. Aides to
Senator Patrick Leahy rejected the amendment before the Senate voted on the
act. The RIAA believes the new law "unintentionally" prohibits an
anti-piracy tool available to the industry under current law.
http://www.wired.com/news/conflict/0,2100,47552,00.html
http://www.latimes.com/technology/la-000082201oct15.story
http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-7535856.html

----------

On October 16, Topica lost both the newsletter and discussion
forum. Visitors were told that neither list even existed. This was a
temporary problem with its server, but it's another reason why I'm looking
for a new host. If you can help, please send me an email. Here are my
criteria.
http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/host.htm

----------

Conferences

If you plan to attend one of the following conferences, please share your
observations with us through our discussion forum.

* Collections & Access for the 21st Century Scholar: A Forum to Explore
the Roles of the Research Library
http://www.arl.org/forum/index.html
Washington, D.C., October 19-20

* Intellectual Property Rights in the Knowledge-Based Economy
http://ip.nationalacademies.org/calendar.php?id=94
Washington, D.C., October 22

* International Conference on Dublin Core and Metadata Applications 2001
http://www.nii.ac.jp/dc2001/
Tokyo, October 22-26

* e-Book Lessons: From Life-Cycle to User Experiences
http://www.sspnet.org/public/articles/details.cfm?id=181
Waltham, Massachusetts, October 23

* Fourth Meeting of the [NAS] Committee on Intellectual Property Rights
(only parts are open to the public)
http://ip.nationalacademies.org/calendar.php?id=322
Washington, D.C., October 23-24

* Document Security and Digital Rights Management (an ALPSP Seminar)
http://www.alpsp.org/s261001.htm
London, October 26

* Copyright Issues in the Electronic Age
http://www.sspnet.org/public/articles/details.cfm?id=181
Waltham, Massachusetts, October 29

* Paperless Publishing: Peer Review, Production, and Publication
http://www.sspnet.org/public/articles/details.cfm?id=181
Washington, D.C., October 30

* The XML Revolution: What Scholarly Publishers Need to know
http://www.sspnet.org/public/articles/details.cfm?id=181
Waltham, Massachusetts, November 1

* Information in a Networked World: Harnessing the Flow
http://www.asis.org/Conferences/AM01/index.html
Washington D.C., November 2-8

* Long Term Archiving of Digital Documents in Physics
http://publish.aps.org/IUPAP/
Lyon, November 5-6

* Electronic Book 2001: Authors, Applications, and Accessibility
http://www.itl.nist.gov/div895/ebook2001/
Washington D.C., November 5-7

* Internet Librarian 2001
http://www.infotoday.com/il2001/
Pasadena, November 6-8

* Content Summit 01: Funding opportunities for European digital content on
global networks
http://www.contentsummit.com/
Zurich, November 7-9

* Setting Standards and Making it Real (on Digital Reference Services)
http://vrd.org/conferences/VRD2001/program.shtml
Orlando, November 12-13

* First Annual Meeting of the Text Encoding Initiative Consortium
http://www.tei-c.org/Publicity/pisa.html
Pisa, November 16-17

* ARL Workshop for Publishers: Licensing Electronic Resources to
Libraries: Understanding Your Market
http://www.arl.org/scomm/licensing/pworkshop.html
Philadelphia, November 19

* European Forum on Harmful and Illegal Cyber Content
http://www.humanrights.coe.int/media/cyberforum/main.htm
Strasbourg, November 28

* eGovernment [in Europe]: From Policy to Practice
http://europa.eu.int/information_society/eeurope/egovconf/index_en.htm
Brussels, November 29-30

* Digital Media Revolution in the Americas
http://www.iamericas.org/events/eventlist.html
Pasadena, November 29 - December 1

* School for Scanning: Creating, Managing, and Preserving Digital Assets
http://www.nedcc.org/sfsfl1.htm
Delray Beach, Florida, December 3-5

* Online Information 2001
http://www.online-information.co.uk/online/
London, December 4-6

* The Electronic Library: Strategic, Policy and Management Issues
http://www.britishcouncil.org/networkevents/2000/0134p.htm
Loughborough, December 9-14

* 4th International Conference of Asian Digital Libraries
http://www.icadl2001.org/
Bangalore, December 10-12

----------

The Free Online Scholarship Newsletter is supported by a grant from the
Open Society Institute.
http://www.soros.org/osi.html

feedback form
http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/index.htm

FOS Newsletter, subscriptions, back issues
http://www.topica.com/lists/suber-fos

FOS Discussion Forum, subscriptions, postings
http://www.topica.com/lists/fos-forum

Guide to the FOS Movement
http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/guide.htm

Peter Suber
http://www.earlham.edu/~peters

Copyright (c) 2001, Peter Suber
http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/copyrite.htm

** If you receive this newsletter by email, then please delete the "easy
unsubscribe" footer (below) before forwarding it to friends or
colleagues. It contains a code identifying you as the original recipient
of the email. If someone down the forwarding chain clicks on the
unsubscribe link, then you will be unsubscribed. **