Welcome Guest!
 TAGAD-L
Introduction  Janelle Oren
 Jun 28, 2000 08:58 PDT
Hi! My name is Janelle Oren, and I am the Young Adult Representative at
the Trotwood Branch of the Dayton and Montgomery County Public Library
in Ohio. My branch is located in a largely (about 70%) African-American
suburban community.

I have been in my position for almost a year. Since taking this job, I
have hosted 3 young adult programs in my branch...which had not had any
regular programming for YA's in the past. With the help of a local
tenth-grade English teacher, my programs have been fairly well attended
(60, 25 & 15). Because attendance has dropped with each successive
program, I'm very interested in getting the input of local teens on what
types of programming they want at the library.

I have decided to start a YA Board...have even gathered some
applications from interested teens. I'll be sending out a mailing later
in the summer to the applicants and to participants in the Summer
Reading Program, inviting them to the first YA Board meeting in
September.

I'm incredibly excited about this list! My library system offered a
training session on Youth Participation Programs, but I wasn't able to
attend. I'm especially interested in information about recommended
group size, the selection process, and establishing agendas and goals
for the group.

Thanks in advance to anyone who has wisdom to share!

Janelle Oren
Trotwood Branch
Dayton & Montgomery County PL
tr_ja-@dayton.lib.oh.us