Welcome Guest!
 TAGAD-L
introductions  Mari Hardacre
 Jun 28, 2000 12:58 PDT
Hi,
Our teen advisory board, known as Teen Library Council, was founded in 1993
by Pam Barry and advised for several years by Renee Vaillancourt. I've been
the advisor since August 1998. There are 25 members at any given time;
admission is by interview and members are welcome to remain on the council
until they head off to college after graduation. As members graduate, they
are replaced. Following are some popular programs/activities they do, all
of which were in place before I arrived.

TLC discusses books at each meeting. Members may nominate a favorite book
to be a Choice Pick. Other members then may read the book and once it has
received 3 votes, it becomes a Choice Pick. The book is then stickered and
shelved on the Choice Picks shelf. A location note is added in the catalog.

Once or twice a year, we take the TLC members on a book-buying spree at
Borders or Barnes and Noble. They select books for the young adult
collection. Their choices are very interesting--sometimes popular stuff
and sometimes intellectual books that add diversity to our collection.

The teens also write, produce, direct, and act in an original murdery
mystery play each fall around Halloween. Peers and family come to watch
the play and guess whodunnit. Successful sleuths get prizes. The mystery
committee is currently at work on their fall production, which will revolve
around a 3rd rate circus. Last year's play was set in the Chicago subway
and titled "Bumps, Bruises, and a Carcass."

Another program they host is a sleepover for 4th and 5th graders. The
teens serve as "counselors" with 2 teens leading groups of about 4 or 5
kids. The council sets the games and activities and selects the movie. We
have pizza for dinner and bagels/donuts the next morning.

that's about all i can think of at the moment; the TLC is a lot of work but
also a lot of fun!!

--Mari

Mari Hardacre
Young Adult Services Coordinator