Welcome Guest!
 TAGAD-L
chess clubs for youths  MacFarquhar, Carole (NBPLS/SBPNB)
 Nov 06, 2010 12:51 PST

Does anyone have any experience with chess clubs.

I have a base participant group of "newcomer" students (mostly Korean), ranging from 7 to 14 years old. Some play chess now, some wish to learn.

The chess club is scheduled for 1 to 2 hours every Saturday afternoon. It is open to the general public but at this time it is all Newcomers. The goal is to offer a place to play chess and develop skills, while practicing English.

I have 7 or 8 chess sets for 10 to 20 students, and 2 skilled players (a parent volunteer and a staff member) who are the "advisors". I play too, but at a fairly basic level, and I won't be available every week. I do have 2 mothers volunteering to supervise, but they don't play chess. My plan is to have several games going at once, and anyone not playing can learn by observing other games.

I am looking for ideas how to match the players, how to help them learn without having 1 "advisor" per board, etc. Or any other tips you might have.

Thanks in advance,
Carole MacFarquhar
Saint John Free Public Library
Saint John, New Brunswick