Welcome Guest!
 TAGAD-L
introduction  Sharon Lamberson
 Jun 28, 2000 13:21 PDT
Hi All,

I'm Sharon Lamberson and I work at the Hannibal Public Library in Hannibal,
Missouri. This year is our 5th for a teen summer reading program. We
started our group, using the names from the participants from the first
reading program for a mailing list. We invited everyone (55 teens) and had
3 at the first meeting. We have grown to an average attendance of 12. Our
group meets monthly during the school year. We are really just a book
group but I consult the teens and ask for their advice quite a bit. Many
of them are volunteer shelvers in the children's room during the summer.

Each May I ask the teens to suggest books that they would like the group to
read and discuss. I read them during the summer, check to see if they are
available in paperback, throw in a few of my own and prepare an annotated
list for our first meeting in the fall. The group then votes on what we
read. I purchase multiple copies. Each meeting consists of a library
scavenger hunt and snacks. We usually read and discuss about 5 or 6 books
a year.

I look forward to hearing everyone's ideas.

Sharon
Sharon Lamberson
Young Adult Services
mdu-@mail.connect.more.net