Welcome Guest!
 TAGAD-L
Re: Participation Issues  Heather Huskins
 Jun 29, 2000 14:56 PDT
Bigger prizes are great motivators---if you can get local businesses or
national businesses to contribute, that really tends to pique their
interest. Also, if you supply them with something they care about....

Reader's Theatre, Publishing their own poetry, Doing their own puppet show
for younger kids....Anything where they can have some input and some
ownership of the project.

Here in Spartanburg (South Carolina), we're working on our second annual
Teen Summer Reading Program. The idea is based on a game card (sort of like
Bingo)....The kids get stamps for each activity(the activities include:
read anything for an hour, read a book and complete a comment card, etc.)
they complete (and yes, they are on their honor). When they have eight
stamps, they get a duck. What are the ducks for?? We have a big duck drop
at the end of the summer and prizes are given away. This summer, we're
giving away a Sega DreamCast, Tickets to an amusement park and gift
certificates to the mall....

Some of the programs for the summer that we've come up with include:
Tie-dye, Make your own hemp jewelry, Sega-Game Tournament and a Do-Your-Own
Mystery Party.....So far attendance is good enough but still allows some
one-on-one contact.

Things seem to be on a roll...By the way, I can't take any or all of the
credit here. We have a great YA librarian for the system. We also stole
some ideas from the great Patrick Jones (his workshop was amazing---if you
get the chance to hear him speak, DO!)

Okay, enough rambling but I thought I would throw my ideas into the mix...

Heather Huskins

 From: Steve Miller <Steves-@Hotmail.com>
To: taga-@topica.com
Subject: [TAGAD-L] Participation Issues
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 13:51:59 -0700

Okay, I'll admit my group (though enthusastic) tends to display the
teenage attitude of "That's a great idea! ... Why are you looking
at me? Oh, no - I'm too busy to help."

My philosophy is "The teens do the work, the teens get the credit" but
they sometimes don't seem to want to do much work. I've got them going
on passive programs (TAG Picks booklists, a bi-weekly poster drawing,
etc), but can't seem to get the focus for larger projects.

Anyone have any suggestions to improve participation at meetings and
encouraging active help in program production? (I've already tried
food...)

Thanks!
S;)

** Play Fair, and Share Your Toys! **