Welcome Guest!
 TAGAD-L
RE: teen advisory group goals  Stephanie Bents
 Feb 16, 2011 13:26 PST
This is a huge help! Thanks, Stephanie

From: Merideth Jenson-Benjamin [mailto:meridethl-@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 15, 2011 9:48 AM
To: taga-@topica.com
Subject: Re: {TAGAD-L} teen advisory group goals

I tried an experiment with my TLC this year.

Before the first meeting, I asked each to bring a project or goal that they wanted to accomplish during this session (our TLC meets Aug-May).

I gave them some advice about goal setting, to wit:

Your goals need to be SMAART. Here is what I mean by that.

S - Specific. Your goal needs to be something specific. "More video game tournaments" is not specific. "To Host 4 Video Game Tournaments a year" is. Be definite about what you want to achieve.

M - Meaningful. Make your goal something you actually care about. If you don't give two figs about the shelving in the teen room, don't make your goal to get new shelves. Your goal needs to be something that you are going to want to invest time and effort into.

A- Actionable. Don't say you're not going to do something. The lack of action is not action. So don't say. "The Teen Department will not buy anymore Justin Beiber CD's" That's not something you DO. Your goals need to be something that we can work towards, not something we should stop doing.

A - Achievable. Please, for the love of Aquaman, be realistic. You may say, "The Library will host a series of concerts featuring Green Day, Broken Social Scene and Arcade Fire." But you and I and the rest of the rational universe know that is not going to happen. So think about what we can actually achieve in the next 8 months.

R - Relevant. The goal needs to be focused on Teens in the library. You are the Teen Library Council, this is what you do. So while you may feel strongly that the DVD collection needs major work, that is not a teen focused goal, and not something we can work on.

T - Timely. This one's easy! You have until July 31, 2011. That's it. So think about that when you're thinking about your goal being attainable.

At the first meeting, each teen had to share their goal with the group. Several kids had similar goals, so they buddied up. To my surprise, most of the goals were program focused -- events they wanted the library to offer.

To help them with their planning, I gave them copies of my programming form. I've attached it, if you're interested.

So far, this has worked remarkably well. The teens are more motivated because the goals came from them, and at each meeting, I set aside time for them to work together, and ask questions about their projects.

Hope this helps!

Merideth Jenson-Benjamin
Teen Services Librarian II, Glendale Public Library
http://meridethsays.blogspot.com

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 9:21 AM, MacFarquhar, Carole (NBPLS/SBPNB) <Carole.Ma-@gnb.ca<mailto:Carole.Ma-@gnb.ca>> wrote:
group.