Welcome Guest!
 TAGAD-L
RE: Teen Space and Gaming Policies  MacFarquhar, Carole (NBPLS/SBPNB)
 Apr 05, 2011 18:34 PDT

We don't limit the use of the zone to teens, but we discourage adults by using furniture and shelving to direct traffic around rather than into or through the zone, by having furniture that is low and comfy for teens but less so for adults, and or course by having books and other materials that are of interest primarily to teens. That being said, if an adult wants to use one of the study tables during the day, no one cares. I sometimes warn adults in the zone if I know teens will be arriving, just suggesting that it might get a little noisy. Trying to limit the zone to just teens means you risk appearing to exclude the tweens who will be frequent visitors, or parents who borrow for their teens, or adults who enjoy reading YA books (and there are many.)    Most adults are not going to want to be in the zone when the teens are there. And of course you don't want to open the door to a suggestion that teens shouldn't be in the rest of the library. So my advice is not to worry about who uses the zone unless there is a problem.

Have fun with it.

Carole MacFarquhar
Saint John Free Public Library
Saint John, New Brunswick

________________________________
From: Tamiko Treadwell [ttrea-@library.lacounty.gov]
Sent: April 5, 2011 8:33 PM
To: 'taga-@topica.com'
Subject: Re: {TAGAD-L} Teen Space and Gaming Policies

I see your point, but I think it's a good idea to leave it open for everyone when school is in session, but when it isn't, it should be reserved for teens. Patrons may not understand why they cannot sit there when school is in session.

We have a teen section and the library manager wants it open to everyone.
As for gaming, we have a meeting room that we use for the video game club.

Tamiko

Tamiko Treadwell
Adult/Teen Services Librarian
La Verne Library
3640 D Street
La Verne, CA 91750
(909) 596 - 1934

 Deborah Riddell <drid-@quincylibrary.org> 4/5/2011 2:51 PM >>>
My library is currently in the process of renovating our library and we are finally getting a Teen Zone. We are having conflicting viewpoints on usage in the teen space. I think it should be for teens only. Other members of our staff think we should allow others in the space when school is in session. I could use some feedback from other libraries about their policies. What works and what doesnít. Also, we are finally getting gaming going at our library. Could anyone share how they do gaming, types of programs, policies, what works and what doesnít? I would really appreciate some feedback.
Thanks!

Deborah Riddell
Young Adult Librarian
Quincy Public Library
526 Jersey
Quincy, IL   62301
217-223-1309, ext. 223
217-222-5672 (fax)
drid-@quincylibrary.org

**   TAGAD-L - TAG Advisor Discussion      **
** Over 400 Librarians Can't Be Wrong!    **
** Going on Vacation? Please UNSUBSCRIBE! **