Welcome Guest!
 TAGAD-L
Re: Teen Space and Gaming Policies  Carol Hardin
 Apr 06, 2011 11:41 PDT
I think Carole's advice is right on! We have one computer in our teen area and
sometimes adults use it but when there are lots of teens around they flee.

Carol @ Hudson Area Joint Library
Hudson, WI

________________________________
From: "MacFarquhar, Carole (NBPLS/SBPNB)" <Carole.Ma-@gnb.ca>
To: "taga-@topica.com" <taga-@topica.com>
Sent: Tue, April 5, 2011 8:34:50 PM
Subject: RE: {TAGAD-L} Teen Space and Gaming Policies

We don't limit the use of the zone to teens, but we discourage adults by using
furniture and shelving to direct traffic around rather than into or through the
zone, by having furniture that is low and comfy for teens but less so for
adults, and or course by having books and other materials that are of interest
primarily to teens. That being said, if an adult wants to use one of the study
tables during the day, no one cares. I sometimes warn adults in the zone if I
know teens will be arriving, just suggesting that it might get a little noisy.
Trying to limit the zone to just teens means you risk appearing to exclude the
tweens who will be frequent visitors, or parents who borrow for their teens, or
adults who enjoy reading YA books (and there are many.)    Most adults are not
going to want to be in the zone when the teens are there. And of course you
don't want to open the door to a suggestion that teens shouldn't be in the rest
of the library. So my advice is not to worry about who uses the zone unless
there is a problem.

Have fun with it.

Carole MacFarquhar
Saint John Free Public Library