Welcome Guest!
 TAGAD-L
RE: Teen Space and Gaming Policies  Decker, Jean
 Apr 22, 2011 08:58 PDT
Hi, we have a small teen area, more like a teen corner. We call it the Hangout Corner. It's got some funky chairs and carpeting. We don't limit the area to just teens. Adults like to sit there during the day. But after school the teens take over, and the adults kind of just stay away.

We also have recently started gaming in the library. Our library system owns the equipment and it travels to the libraries. I had originally started with tournaments, but the kids requested just free play. So, we just do free play anymore. They are pretty good about sharing and making sure everyone gets a chance to play. I have never run into a problem where someone wanted to hog the game.

Jean Decker
Pittston Memorial Library
47 Broad St
Pittston PA 18640
570-654-9565
jdec-@osterhout.lib.pa.us

________________________________

From: AFURINO [mailto:AFUR-@cuyahogalibrary.org]
Sent: Wed 4/6/2011 6:08 PM
To: taga-@topica.com
Subject: RE: {TAGAD-L} Teen Space and Gaming Policies

I agree. We don't limit the use of the teen area when they are in
school.

I found that gaming with teens works better when fairly unstructured.
Most of them want to participate in free play. It's a great afterschool
activity that gives the kids just hanging around something productive
and social to take part in. Occasionally I will get teens who want to
play a Madden or Smash Bros tournament. Unless they are asking for
tournaments, I usually do not put them on. You never know how many kids
are going to show up after they sign up. But if you do decide to put on
a tourney you can print up brackets from www.printyourbrackets.com. Have
fun!

Anthony Furino
Teen Services Librarian
Cuyahoga County Public Library
South Euclid-Lyndhurst Branch
4645 Mayfield Road / South Euclid, Ohio 44121-4087
p 216.382.4880 / f 216.382.4584
www.cuyahogalibrary.org