Welcome Guest!
 TAGAD-L
Handling Larger Teen Council  Allison Jenkins
 Oct 06, 2011 15:40 PDT

--bcaec529a0a1074bf404aea90442

Hey everyone,

Our teen council is now in its third year. Our group's size over the years
has varied from 5 to 15, but has always been on the smaller side.

In the past few months, our group has doubled in size (and I have lost my
co-sponsor for our group), so it's just me and a large group of VERY social,
talkative teens. I have always kept meetings fairly informal with time for
socializing at the beginning, and then we have an agenda we work our way
through.

But with our group's new size, I'm having trouble keeping them focused
and have to keep steering them back to the topic. Also, they have a
tendency to keep talking over one another, which results in frustration.

I asked them for suggestions of different ways to run the meetings, but they
had no real concrete ideas in mind. I want to make sure everyone has a
chance to speak up and be heard in the meetings--rather than talking over
one another.

Any suggestions that have worked with larger teen advisory groups? Any and
all input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Allison

--