Welcome Guest!
 TAGAD-L
RE: Handling Larger Teen Council  Rhonda Franz
 Oct 06, 2011 15:42 PDT

From: Allison Jenkins [mailto:cherry-@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 06, 2011 3:41 PM
To: taga-@topica.com; ya-y-@ala.org
Subject: {TAGAD-L} Handling Larger Teen Council

Hey everyone,

Our teen council is now in its third year. Our group's size over the
years has varied from 5 to 15, but has always been on the smaller side.

In the past few months, our group has doubled in size (and I have lost
my co-sponsor for our group), so it's just me and a large group of VERY
social, talkative teens. I have always kept meetings fairly informal
with time for socializing at the beginning, and then we have an agenda
we work our way through.

But with our group's new size, I'm having trouble keeping them focused
and have to keep steering them back to the topic. Also, they have a
tendency to keep talking over one another, which results in frustration.

I asked them for suggestions of different ways to run the meetings, but
they had no real concrete ideas in mind. I want to make sure everyone
has a chance to speak up and be heard in the meetings--rather than
talking over one another.

Any suggestions that have worked with larger teen advisory groups? Any
and all input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Allison

--
Allison Jenkins