Welcome Guest!
 Time Management
Time Tip-Communicating  Don Wetmore
 Apr 10, 2012 08:52 PDT

COMMUNICATING PRODUCTIVELY

By: Dr. Donald E. Wetmore

Communication is speaking, being heard and understood and getting the
response you want. Without getting the response you want from your
listener you have not communicated and your speaking was not productive.

A lot of that response is not achieved because we fail to speak
productively. We sometimes speak assumptively, turning off our
listeners.

Here’s three ways to quickly turn your listeners off and not get the

“As you know….” Unless you know for sure that I know, don’t tell me what
I know because if I don’t know, I feel uninformed. I failed somewhere
along the way to know what you thought I should have known. Why didn’t I
get to know what I should have known?

“As many of you know…” If I’m not one of the many, the few in the know,
I feel marginalized because you’re just talking to those many and few
who know, which does not include me. I’m left out. I’m not a part of
that exclusive club.

“As most of you know…” Now that’s a real self-esteem builder. If I’m not
in the know, and most around me are, I feel I really messed up because
most know it and I don’t and you assumed I did so not only did I not
know it, I disappointed your expectations for me. How could I have gone
so wrong?

Rid your vocabulary with these three prefaces. Get to your point
instead. Speak more productively.

And while we’re at it, let’s eliminate, “And without further ado…”
because to say that creates further ado.

Time Management seminars available on-site, at your location, for groups
of any size. For full details, send your request for “on-site” to:
cts-@msn.com

Dr. Donald E. Wetmore
Professional Speaker
Productivity Institute
Time Management Seminars
127 Jefferson St.
Stratford, CT 06615
(203) 386-8062 (800) 969-3773
Email: cts-@msn.com
Visit Our Time Management Supersite: http://www.balancetime.com
Follow me on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/timeguy
Follow me on LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/timemanagement

Copyright 2010 You may re-print the above information in its entirety in
your publication, newsletter, or on your webpage. For permission, please
email your request for “reprint” to: cts-@msn.com