Welcome Guest!
 Time Management
Time Tip-Crisis Management  Don Wetmore
 Apr 17, 2012 06:29 PDT

Crisis Management

By: Dr. Donald E. Wetmore

Crisis Management, for the most part is when a deadline has snuck up
behind you and robbed you of all choice. And crisis management, for the
most part, is poor time management. Why? You’re under pressure, maybe
cutting corners. Things can slip through the cracks. Your stress level
is increased. The quality of your performance may not be what it ought
to be.

I have been amazed through the years when my college students would hand
in term papers and inform me that they didn’t have enough time to do a
good job. I would reply, “When in the future will you get more time to
redo it because if it’s as bad as you suggest, I’m going to give it back
to you to redo.” You don’t have the time to do it right; where will the
time come from to fix it?

I would suggest that if you find yourself in Crisis Management a lot, it
probably has less to do with your day-to-day responsibilities and more
to do with a lack of anticipation, because most of the things that put
you into Crisis Management are things that are capable of being
anticipated.

USE A CRISIS MANAGEMENT LOG

A problem well defined is 95% solved. If you have an accurate accounting
of your time crunching crises, you’ve gone a long way to reducing them
in the future.

Here is a good exercise to help reduce Crisis Management. For the next
two weeks, run a Crisis Management Log. Nothing fancy about it at all.
Simply take a pad of paper and entitle it "Crisis Management Log" and
for the next two weeks when you encounter a crisis, log it in. Put down
the date and time it occurs and a little detail, so that two weeks later
when you go back to review, you will remember the particulars. After two
weeks of accumulating this data, go back and review every crisis you
encountered and ask yourself, "Which of these could have been avoided?"

Most people discover that about 20% of the crises they suffered through
were unavoidable. “Stuff Happens”. We cannot eliminate all crises.

Most people discover that about 80% of the crises they suffered through
could have been avoided with better anticipation and planning. After
running your Crisis Management Log, start taking the corrective steps to
reduce the frequency of crisis management events by, for example,
starting items sooner or requesting needed information sooner rather
than waiting until the last minute to receive it.

Invite a Friend to Subscribe now:
Would you like to receive no cost Timely Time Management Tips on a
regular basis to increase your personal productivity and get more out of
every day? Sign up now for your no cost “TIMELY TIME MANAGEMENT TIPS”.
Just go to: http://www.topica.com/lists/timemanagement and select
“subscribe” or send an email to: timemanageme-@topica.com. We
welcome you to our list!

Dr. Donald E. Wetmore
Professional Speaker
Productivity Institute
Time Management Seminars
127 Jefferson St.
Stratford, CT 06615
(203) 386-8062 (800) 969-3773
Email: cts-@msn.com
Visit Our Time Management Supersite: http://www.balancetime.com
Follow me on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/timeguy
Follow me on LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/timemanagement

Copyright 2002 You may re-print the above information in its entirety in
your publication or newsletter. For permission, please email your
request for “reprint” to: cts-@msn.com