Welcome Guest!
 Time Management
Time Tip-More Time  Don Wetmore
 Jun 12, 2012 08:32 PDT

PRINT OUT AND POST!

MORE TIME

By: Dr. Donald E. Wetmore

Time is the great equalizer for all of us. We all have 24 hours in a
day, 7 days a week, yielding 168 hours per week. Take out 56 hours for
sleep (we do spend about a third of our week dead) and we are down to
112 hours to achieve all the results we desire. We cannot save time
(ever have any time left over on a Sunday night that you could lop over
to the next week?), it can only be spent. And there’s only two ways to
spend our time: we can spend it wisely, or, not so wisely.

We can effectively increase the amount of time available to us each week
by working “smarter” rather than working “harder”. In my twenty years as
a full-time Professional Speaker on the topic of Time Management, I have
noted five sure fire ways to make an immediate impact on increasing our
available time each week.

Engage an intern Most high schools and community colleges offer intern
programs for their students. The student is assigned to a real-life
organization for 10-20 hours per week. They are typically unpaid but do
earn academic credit and make great contacts and the organization gets
an “extra pair of hands”. The person who is assigned the intern can now
delegate any number of things to the intern to release their time for
more productive matters. It’s a “Win-Win” deal for both.

Run an Interruptions Log It would be great if we could plan our day the
night before and then make that plan happen as scheduled. The real world
is different. We have to deal with interruptions. Interruptions are
unanticipated events that come to us via the telephone (any of the
electronic stuff: beepers, pagers, email, etc.) or in person. Many
interruptions are important and are what we may be paid to handle.
However, many interruptions have little or no value to our
responsibilities. Run an Interruptions Log for about a week. List every
interruption as it occurs and rate its value to you. A=Crucial,
B=Important, C=Little value, D= No value. After the week of logging them
in, review the list and take action to eliminate the repetitive C and D
interruptions and re-capture some wasted time.

Run a Crisis Management Log Crisis management for the most part is
when the deadline has snuck up upon you and robbed you of choice, you
have to respond and you are a slave to the clock. Crisis management is
generally poor time management because you’re rushing, the quality of
your performance suffers, your stress level is elevated, and, most
important, you are often having to go back and re-do what was done in
the first place. “If you want to manage it, measure it.” Run a Crisis
Management Log for a week. After encountering every crisis, log it in on
a piece of paper. After a week of accumulating the data, go back through
every crisis that occurred and ask yourself, “Which one of these could
have been avoided?” and start to take corrective steps to stop their
reoccurrence and buy back some “smarter” time for your weeks ahead.

Become a Speed Reader The average person reads about two hours per day
at a rate of about 200 words per minute. (We get more information
exposures in one day today than people in the year 1900 received in a
lifetime.) Speed-reading is a simple skill that is easy to learn and
improves with consistent practice. The average person can easily double
their reading rate and thereby cut their reading time in half or double
the volume of reading material they can go through in the same amount of
time.

Do Daily Planning “A stitch in time saves 9.” Every grandmother knows
this. Every minute of planning will save you nine minutes in execution.
Walt Whitman, the poet, said it best, “The most powerful time is when we
are alone, thinking about what we are to do.” Daily Planning helps us to
focus on what is really crucial and important in our day to come and
permits us to identify time wasters in advance to avoid them and use
that time more productively.

Dr. Donald E. Wetmore has been a full-time Professional Speaker for the
last 20 years having made over 2,000 presentations to audiences from
around the Globe. He is available to conduct his dynamic Time Management
Seminar at your location helping your people get more done in less time,
with less stress. Don’s programs are entertaining, fast paced, and
filled with practical, common sense ideas. His seminars are typically
rated as “the best I have ever attended”. For more information, contact
Don via email at: cts-@msn.com or call him at: (203) 386-8062 or (800)
969-3773.

Dr. Donald E. Wetmore
Professional Speaker
Productivity Institute
Time Management Seminars
127 Jefferson St.
Stratford, CT 06615
(203) 386-8062 (800) 969-3773
Email: cts-@msn.com
Visit Our Time Management Supersite: http://www.balancetime.com
Follow me on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/timeguy

Copyright 2000 You may re-print the above information in its entirety in
your publication, newsletter, or on your webpage. For permission, please
email your request for “reprint” to: cts-@msn.com