Welcome Guest!
 txdict
(B&W edition) "What I Like About Texas," Vol. 1, March 2000  Todd Thompson
 Mar 04, 2000 05:12 PST

--MS_Mac_OE_3034998731_61123_MIME_Part

What I Like About Texas
Vol. 1, March 2000

(Some folks had trouble reading the color version of the newsletter, so here
it is in black and white. Thanks for your patience.)

In this issue:

1. Welcome and Intro message from Todd
2. Mailing Lists, Surveys, etc.
3. Texas Blues update
4. Texas Dictionary News
5. In Association With Amazon.Com
6. Web Page Contest: Win $50 Gift Certificate to Amazon.Com

Howdy!

What great fun this has been from the start! For a few years I have tried
to come up with just the right idea for a website. It had to meet only two
criteria. One, it had to be something I would enjoy doing; and two, it had
to be something in which other folks might have an interest and participate.

I have always had more than a passing interest in my home state of Texas. I
hope not to be obnoxious and rude about it, but I am a very proud Texan, and
I enjoy our history and culture. There are plenty of tourist websites about
Texas, some of which are outstanding. There are lots of information sites
as well, especially some great sites on subjects in Texas history. I wanted
my website to be informative, though not necessarily as comprehensive as
these, while maintaining a spirit of fun and humor.

There is a song written by a Texas songwriter, Gary P. Nunn, that I like a
lot called, "What I Like About Texas." I find myself singing it often when
I'm driving through West Texas in a happy mood. One Saturday morning, a
month or so ago, I was wondering if I would ever get a website going. I
decided to quit trying so hard to make the subject too specific and just
make a space in the cyberworld for the places and people who make me happy,
Texas and Texans! Gary P. Nunn's song was on my mind.

I hopped out of bed and came here to my Mac and, on a bit of a lark,
searched to see if the domain name "whatilikeabouttexas.com" was in use. I
couldn't afford to buy it from Gary P. Nunn, if he owned it, so I prepared
myself for another domain name. I was in luck!

As you know, if you have been a frequent visitor to whatilikeabouttexas.com,
the website is very much in the creation stage. That's the way it should
always be, in my opinion, because I find new experiences and new information
every day that make me like Texas more.

Through my first few weeks online, I have made some great acquaintances
through some of the links I've found. Just this week, I was excited to be
asked by an Australian website owner to exchange links. The breadth of the
web makes these sorts of relationships possible throughout the world.
Sharing what I like most with others who are interested and have something
to share in return is what makes the cyberworld fun for me.

As the website grows, I invite anyone to participate in its creation. This
website does not have to contain only the things I like about Texas. My
hope is that others will want to share what they like about the Lone Star
State as well. Read later the announcement regarding a webpage contest that
I will be running over the course of the next few weeks. I hope all of you
will participate in it.

So, here it is -- the first edition of the "What I Like About Texas"
newsletter. Enjoy it, share it with others, and don't be a stranger!

Todd
mailto:comm-@whatilikeabouttexas.com

Mailing Lists, Bulletin Boards, Surveys, and other whatilikeabouttexas.com
Participation Opportunities

"What I Like About Texas" Mailing List is a web-based email list for folks
who want to discuss general topics about Texas. The subscription address is
wilat-su-@listbot.com. Send an email to this address and you will
automatically be subscribed. You can unsubscribe easily, should you decide
to do so.   To subscribe, click and mail on this link:
mailto:wilat-su-@listbot.com.

"Texas Blues" Mailing List is a web-based mailing list for folks who want to
discuss Texas blues music and musicians. Subscribe by clicking and mailing
on this link: mailto:texasblues-@onelist.com.

"What I Like About Texas" Bulletin Board is a message board at
coolboard.com. It serves the entire community as a place for announcements
and information. It can be viewed at this link:
http://www.coolboard.com/boardshow.cfm?mb=973591348150256.

"Texas Dictionary" Mailing List is a web-based email list for the discussion
of Texas language and humor. To subscribe, click and mail from this link:
mailto:txdict-s-@topica.com.

Surveys are also another way to participate. To see the latest poll and to
view the results of previous polls, click here:
http://www.onelist.com/polls/texasblues.

TEXAS BLUES UPDATE

One of the earliest developments on the website has been the Texas Blues
section. My interest in Texas music is broad-ranged. I have enjoyed Texas
music all my life, but I've only recently become acquainted with some of the
great names in Texas music history from the blues genre. Stevie Ray
Vaughan, one of the best guitarists ever, is my most recent favorite. I
have also enjoyed learning about other blues musicians from Texas such as
Lightnin' Hopkins and Albert Collins. Pages have been developed on Stevie
Ray Vaughan and Lightnin' Hopkins so far. Many others will follow. You can
also shop for their CD's and videos by following the links on the pages
bearing their names.

Just last week, the Texas Blues site was accepted in the official Blues Web
Ring. We have also linked up with "Blue Country News," an Australian site
dedicated to Texas Blues music and musicians.

Also, last week, we hooked up with a blues band from Austin, the
BluesKnights, led by Roy Cox. If you haven't yet been to their site or
listened to them on mp3.com, I advise you to do so. They are outstanding!

TEXAS DICTIONARY

Day in and day out, when I view the log files from my website traffic, I am
amazed at the number of folks who are attracted to the "Texas Dictionary"
pages. Several page hits a day come from search engines looking for
information on Texas colloquialisms, slang expressions, and humor.

This shouldn't be too surprising, given the number of Texas jokes most of us
Texans have heard our whole lives. The surprise is the number of times
visitors keep coming back to the pages for updates. I can't seem to get the
pages built fast enough to satisfy the interest.

Keep coming back to the website as I try to add a page a week to the Texas
Dictionary.

Another way anyone can participate in building the website is to submit
words, definitions, illustrations, or usage examples of your favorite Texas
expressions. If you want to participate in this, just email me:
mailto:dicti-@whatilikeabouttexas.com.

IN ASSOCIATION WITH AMAZON.COM

Throughout the website readers will find opportunities to click onto
Amazon.Com to purchase specific items or to conduct searches for items of
interest. My hope is to earn a little money through the Amazon Associates
program to offset the expenses of running the site. Affiliate programs
don't make many people rich, but they can be successful in defraying some
expenses.

I earn money through the program only when purchases are made from
Amazon.Com when clicking through from anywhere on my site. If you have an
Amazon purchase to make, I really do appreciate your using my site as the
launching pad for your purchase. The prices are the same as if you went
directly to the Amazon site. You don't have to purchase the objects
featured on my site; you simply have to click through from my site.
Anything you buy from Amazon.Com after you click through from my site will
reward me with a small commission. So, obviously, I hope you'll think about
this when you are looking for a book, CD, video, or gift item. There are
other programs which pay more in commissions, but I chose Amazon because I
believe it is the best, most comprehensive, site, offering purchasers the
best deals around.

PERSONAL WEB PAGE CONTEST

During March and April, "whatilikeabouttexas.com" will be holding a webpage
contest. A prize will be given for first place, and it will be a $50 gift
certificate to Amazon.Com. The rules are very simple.

1. The page must express some aspect of Texas life, history, or culture.
2. The page must link back to at least one page of
"whatilikeabouttexas.com."
3. The author of the page must be the one submitting the page in the
contest, and the page must contain original material or images only.
Material or images copyrighted by anyone besides the author submitting the
page will cause disqualification.
4. The decision of the judge is final. The judge is the website owner of
"whatilikeabouttexas.com."
5. By submitting a page for the contest the author/submitter authorizes
"whatilikeabouttexas.com" to link to the page submitted.

All participants whose pages are approved for linking will receive a link
from "whatilikeabouttexas.com" under the heading of "Personal Web Pages" and
any other category deemed appropriate by the website owner of
"whatilikeabouttexas.com."

Pages containing pornographic pictures or language will not be accepted.

Send submissions to cont-@whatilikeabouttexas.com. Send the links only,
or if you do not have personal webspace, send the html page, and it can be
attached to the "whatilikeabouttexas.com" website.

Thanks for participating!

That's all for this edition of "What I Like About Texas." I hope you'll
continue your participation in the community of folks who like to talk about
the Lone Star State.

I hope you'll pass this newsletter on to your friends and other folks who
might be interested in receiving it.

New subscribers can simply click here to receive their subscription:
mailto:newsl-@whatilikeabouttexas.com.

If you want to unsubscribe from the newsletter, click here:
mailto:unsubs-@whatilikeabouttexas.com.

Copyright March 2000, Todd Thompson, texas-@earthlink.net

--MS_Mac_OE_3034998731_61123_MIME_Part

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>(B&W edition) "What I Like About Texas," Vol. 1, March=
2000</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<BR>
<P ALIGN=3DCENTER>
<FONT FACE=3D"New York"><H2>What I Like About Texas<BR>
</H2>Vol. 1, March 2000<BR>
</FONT><BR>
<P>
(Some folks had trouble reading the color version of the newsletter, so her=
e it is in black and white.  Thanks for your patience.)<BR>
<BR>
<FONT FACE=3D"New York"><HR ALIGN=3DCENTER SIZE=3D"3" WIDTH=3D"95%"><BR>
In this issue:<BR>
<BR>
1.  Welcome and Intro message from Todd<BR>
2.  Mailing Lists, Surveys, etc.<BR>
3.  Texas Blues update<BR>
4.  Texas Dictionary News<BR>
5.  In Association With Amazon.Com<BR>
6.  Web Page Contest: Win $50 Gift Certificate to Amazon.Com<BR>
<BR>
<HR ALIGN=3DCENTER SIZE=3D"3" WIDTH=3D"95%"><BR>
Howdy!<BR>
<BR>
What great fun this has been from the start!  For a few years I have t=
ried to come up with just the right idea for a website.  It had to meet=
only two criteria.  One, it had to be something I would enjoy doing; a=
nd two, it had to be something in which other folks might have an interest a=
nd participate.<BR>
<BR>
I have always had more than a passing interest in my home state of Texas. &=
nbsp;I hope not to be obnoxious and rude about it, but I am a very proud Tex=
an, and I enjoy our history and culture.  There are plenty of tourist w=
ebsites about Texas, some of which are outstanding.  There are lots of =
information sites as well, especially some great sites on subjects in Texas =
history.  I wanted my website to be informative, though not necessarily=
as comprehensive as these, while maintaining a spirit of fun and humor.<BR>
<BR>
There is a song written by a Texas songwriter, Gary P. Nunn, that I like a =
lot called, "What I Like About Texas."  I find myself singing=
it often when I'm driving through West Texas in a happy mood.  One Sat=
urday morning,  a month or so ago, I was wondering if I would ever get =
a website going.  I decided to quit trying so hard to make the subject =
too specific and just make a space in the cyberworld for the places and peop=
le who make me happy, Texas and Texans!  Gary P. Nunn's song was on my =
mind.<BR>
<BR>
I hopped out of bed and came here to my Mac and, on a bit of a lark, search=
ed to see if the domain name "whatilikeabouttexas.com" was in use.=
 I couldn't afford to buy it from Gary P. Nunn, if he owned it, so I p=
repared myself for another domain name.  I was in luck!  <BR>
<BR>
As you know, if you have been a frequent visitor to whatilikeabouttexas.com=
, the website is very much in the creation stage.  That's the way it sh=
ould always be, in my opinion, because I find new experiences and new inform=
ation every day that make me like Texas more.  <BR>
<BR>
Through my first few weeks online, I have made some great acquaintances thr=
ough some of the links I've found.  Just this week, I was excited to be=
asked by an Australian website owner to exchange links.  The breadth o=
f the web makes these sorts of relationships possible throughout the world. =
 Sharing what I like most with others who are interested and have somet=
hing to share in return is what makes the cyberworld fun for me.<BR>
<BR>
As the website grows, I invite anyone to participate in its creation.  =
;This website does not have to contain only the things <U>I like</U> about T=
exas.  My hope is that others will want to share what they like about t=
he Lone Star State as well.  Read later the announcement regarding a we=
bpage contest that I will be running over the course of the next few weeks. =
 I hope all of you will participate in it.<BR>
<BR>
So, here it is -- the first edition of the "What I Like About Texas&qu=
ot; newsletter.  Enjoy it, share it with others, and don't be a strange=
r!<BR>
<BR>
</FONT><BR>
<P ALIGN=3DCENTER>
<FONT FACE=3D"New York">Todd <BR>
<U>mailto:comm-@whatilikeabouttexas.com<BR>
</U></FONT><BR>
<FONT FACE=3D"New York"><HR ALIGN=3DCENTER SIZE=3D"3" WIDTH=3D"95%"><BR>
</FONT>
<P>
<FONT FACE=3D"New York"><B><U>Mailing Lists, Bulletin Boards, Surveys, and ot=
her whatilikeabouttexas.com Participation Opportunities<BR>
</U></B>  <BR>
<U>"What I Like About Texas" Mailing List</U> is a web-based emai=
l list for folks who want to discuss general topics about Texas.  The s=
ubscription address is <U>wilat-su-@listbot.com</U>.  Send an ema=
il to this address and you will automatically be subscribed.  You can u=
nsubscribe easily, should you decide to do so.   To subscribe, cli=
ck and mail on this link:  <U>mailto:wilat-su-@listbot.com</U>.<B=

<BR>
<U>"Texas Blues" Mailing List</U> is a web-based mailing list for=
folks who want to discuss Texas blues music and musicians.  Subscribe =
by clicking and mailing on this link: <U>mailto:texasblues-subscribe@onelist=
.com</U>.  <BR>
<BR>
<U>"What I Like About Texas" Bulletin Board</U> is a message boar=
d at coolboard.com.  It serves the entire community as a place for anno=
uncements and information.  It can be viewed at this link:  <U>htt=
p://www.coolboard.com/boardshow.cfm?mb=3D973591348150256</U>.<BR>
<BR>
<U>"Texas Dictionary" Mailing List</U> is a web-based email list =
for the discussion of Texas language and humor.  To subscribe, click an=
d mail from this link:  <U>mailto:txdict-s-@topica.com</U>.<BR>
<BR>
<U>Surveys</U> are also another way to participate.  To see the latest=
poll and to view the results of previous polls, click here:  <U>http:/=
/www.onelist.com/polls/texasblues</U>.<BR>
<BR>
<HR ALIGN=3DCENTER SIZE=3D"3" WIDTH=3D"95%"><BR>
<B><U>TEXAS BLUES UPDATE<BR>
</U></B><BR>
One of the earliest developments on the website has been the Texas Blues se=
ction.  My interest in Texas music is broad-ranged.  I have enjoye=
d Texas music all my life, but I've only recently become acquainted with som=
e of the great names in Texas music history from the blues genre.  Stev=
ie Ray Vaughan, one of the best guitarists ever, is my most recent favorite.=
 I have also enjoyed learning about other blues musicians from Texas s=
uch as Lightnin' Hopkins and Albert Collins.  Pages have been developed=
on Stevie Ray Vaughan and Lightnin' Hopkins so far.  Many others will =
follow.  You can also shop for their CD's and videos by following the l=
inks on the pages bearing their names.<BR>
<BR>
Just last week, the Texas Blues site was accepted in the official Blues Web=
Ring.  We have also linked up with "Blue Country News," an A=
ustralian site dedicated to Texas Blues music and musicians.<BR>
<BR>
Also, last week, we hooked up with a blues band from Austin, the BluesKnigh=
ts, led by Roy Cox.  If you haven't yet been to their site or listened =
to them on mp3.com, I advise you to do so.  They are outstanding!<BR>
<BR>
<HR ALIGN=3DCENTER SIZE=3D"3" WIDTH=3D"95%"><BR>
<B><U>TEXAS DICTIONARY<BR>
</U></B><BR>
Day in and day out, when I view the log files from my website traffic, I am=
amazed at the number of folks who are attracted to the "Texas Dictiona=
ry" pages.  Several page hits a day come from search engines looki=
ng for information on Texas colloquialisms, slang expressions, and humor.<BR=

<BR>
This shouldn't be too surprising, given the number of Texas jokes most of u=
s Texans have heard our whole lives.  The surprise is the number of tim=
es visitors keep coming back to the pages for updates.  I can't seem to=
get the pages built fast enough to satisfy the interest.<BR>
<BR>
Keep coming back to the website as I try to add a page a week to the Texas =
Dictionary.<BR>
<BR>
Another way anyone can participate in building the website is to submit wor=
ds, definitions, illustrations, or usage examples of your favorite Texas exp=
ressions.  If you want to participate in this, just email me:  <U>=
mailto:dicti-@whatilikeabouttexas.com</U>.<BR>
<BR>
<HR ALIGN=3DCENTER SIZE=3D"3" WIDTH=3D"95%"><BR>
<BR>
<B><U>IN ASSOCIATION WITH AMAZON.COM<BR>
</U></B><BR>
Throughout the website readers will find opportunities to click onto Amazon=
.Com to purchase specific items or to conduct searches for items of interest=
.  My hope is to earn a little money through the Amazon Associates prog=
ram to offset the expenses of running the site.  Affiliate programs don=
't make many people rich, but they can be successful in defraying some expen=
ses.<BR>
<BR>
I earn money through the program only when purchases are made from Amazon.C=
om when clicking through from anywhere on my site.  If you have an Amaz=
on purchase to make, I really do appreciate your using my site as the launch=
ing pad for your purchase.  The prices are the same as if you went dire=
ctly to the Amazon site.  You don't have to purchase the objects featur=
ed on my site; you simply have to click through from my site.  Anything=
you buy from Amazon.Com after you click through from my site will reward me=
with a small commission.  So, obviously, I hope you'll think about thi=
s when you are looking for a book, CD, video, or gift item.  There are =
other programs which pay more in commissions, but I chose Amazon because I b=
elieve it is the best, most comprehensive, site, offering purchasers the bes=
t deals around.  <BR>
<BR>
<HR ALIGN=3DCENTER SIZE=3D"3" WIDTH=3D"95%"><BR>
<B><U>PERSONAL WEB PAGE CONTEST<BR>
</U></B><BR>
During March and April, "whatilikeabouttexas.com" will be holding=
a webpage contest.  A prize will be given for first place, and it will=
be a $50 gift certificate to Amazon.Com.  The rules are very simple.<B=

<BR>
1.  The page must express some aspect of Texas life, history, or cultu=
re.<BR>
2.  The page must link back to at least one page of "whatilikeabo=
uttexas.com."<BR>
3.  The author of the page must be the one submitting the page in the =
contest, and the page must contain original material or images only.  M=
aterial or images copyrighted by anyone besides the author submitting the pa=
ge will cause disqualification.<BR>
4.  The decision of the judge is final.  The judge is the website=
owner of "whatilikeabouttexas.com."<BR>
5.  By submitting a page for the contest the author/submitter authoriz=
es "whatilikeabouttexas.com" to link to the page submitted.<BR>
<BR>
All participants whose pages are approved for linking will receive a link f=
rom "whatilikeabouttexas.com" under the heading of "Personal =
Web Pages" and any other category deemed appropriate by the website own=
er of "whatilikeabouttexas.com."<BR>
<BR>
Pages containing pornographic pictures or language will not be accepted.<BR=

<BR>
Send submissions to <U>cont-@whatilikeabouttexas.com</U>.  Send the =
links only, or if you do not have personal webspace, send the html page, and=
it can be attached to the "whatilikeabouttexas.com" website.<BR>
<BR>
Thanks for participating!<BR>
<BR>
<HR ALIGN=3DCENTER SIZE=3D"3" WIDTH=3D"95%"><BR>
That's all for this edition of "What I Like About Texas."  I=
hope you'll continue your participation in the community of folks who like =
to talk about the Lone Star State.<BR>
<BR>
I hope you'll pass this newsletter on to your friends and other folks who m=
ight be interested in receiving it.  <BR>
<BR>
New subscribers can simply click here to receive their subscription:  =
<U>mailto:newsl-@whatilikeabouttexas.com</U>.<BR>
<BR>
If you want to unsubscribe from the newsletter, click here:  <U>mailto=
:unsubs-@whatilikeabouttexas.com</U>.<BR>
<BR>
</FONT><BR>
<P ALIGN=3DCENTER>
<FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"New York">Copyright March 2000, Todd Thompson, <=
U>texas-@earthlink.net<BR>
</U></FONT></FONT><BR>
<P>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--MS_Mac_OE_3034998731_61123_MIME_Part--