Welcome Guest!
 ultracycling
UMCA Managing Director Position  Lou Lamoureux
 Jan 12, 2007 07:36 PST

Dear UMCA Board Of Directors;

I would like to be considered for the position of UMCA Managing
Director. The organization for many years seemed stagnant (with
incremental gains made by enthusiastic volunteers in the records
department, the JMC/year rounder). Within the past couple of months
there has been a rash of activity aimed at making the organization
appear more “International” in focus.   This is clearly a reaction to
the newly proposed International Ultracycling organization and the UMCA
is attempting to disrupt the formation of this new organization by
holding a meeting at the same time in Paris after PBP. Regardless of
whether another organization is needed, the UMCA was clearly not meeting
the needs of a certain demographic and now faced with competition is
reacting to the situation. It would have been preferable if the UMCA
had been proactive on this topic negating the need for another
organization.

As the new UMCA Managing Director, I would focus on being proactive. In
fact, here are some of the initiatives I would like to see happen:

1) More advertisements in the Ultracycling Magazine and on the website.
More revenue would allow more glossy color photos of the amazing scenery
our races traverse.
2) A photo contest to encourage submission of more photos.
3) Increase UMCA branded merchandise sales to increase the amount of
photos in the Ultracycling Magazine.
4) Online membership application using Paypal, Google Checkout, or some
other shopping cart program to decrease the barriers to joining the UMCA
and ease the renewal process for current members.
5) The proper and timely completion of all paperwork required under the
constitution and bylaws.
6) I would support the President in holding the required quarterly BoD
meetings.
7) Video footage of ultracycling races on the website. This would
increase site traffic, increase visibility of races on the calendar, and
spur the imagination of future ultracyclists.   Also, video interviews
of top Year Rounders and/or JMC participants might increase the desire
in members to complete more miles and recruit more members.
8) Increase the visibility of the organization to promoters of shorter
races and recreational century events perhaps by partnering with current
advertisers.
9) A BoD meeting open to all UMCA general members in a warm weather
state in December or January over a weekend that would include rides and
culminate in an Ultracycling Awards ceremony or party. The rides would
attract UMCA general members and give them the opportunity to
participate in a BoD meeting.
10) Find and replicate best practices around the country. For instance,
Crista Borras maintains a huge library of rides in the Mid-Atlantic
Region and organizes weekend century rides. I know this is happening in
other parts of the country, we need to examine how to support these ride
leaders and encourage others to emulate them in areas that do not have
such rides. Support the ride leaders and not just the race organizers
and the participants will come.
11) I would also suggest a change to the bylaws that limits the position
of Managing Director to a 4 year term with a maximum reappointment of
one additional term at the discretion of the BoD.

In my career, I have co-founded two successful organizations. The first
Tri-Mech Solutions Inc. sold high end engineering software and reached
over $1 million in sales within the first 3 years and was the dominant
supplier in the Mid-Atlantic region. The second, Optimum Fitness Results
has allowed me to explore B2C ecommerce and conversion rate
optimization, skills that would help me increase the sales of branded
merchandise, increased online membership and renewals, and to make the
changes to the UMCA website to increase visitors and advertising
revenue. I can provide a detailed resume on request.

I thank John Hughes for his decade of service as the Managing Director
of the UMCA and mean him no disrespect, but I think it’s time for new
proactive leadership. Thank you for your time and consideration in this
matter.

Sincerely,

Lou Lamoureux
12607 Builders Rd
Herndon, VA 20170

http://www.cycling-videos.com/blogger.html
Kidney Transplant 9/25/00
US Transplant Games 2002, 2004
World Transplant Games 2003, 2005

"We are the music-makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams" - Ode by Arthur O'Shaughnessy (1844 -
1881)