Welcome Guest!
 US-ETC
Re: New Park Horse Trail?  Alan Farris
 Jun 07, 2003 04:42 PDT

Teresa:
Thanks for sharing your post. I'll review it this weekend. You might also
want to contact Jerry Fruth, national trails committee chairmen for the
American Horse Council, for Jerry's input.

Denise

----- Original Message -----
From: <billi-@omega.omrf.ouhsc.edu>
To: <use-@topica.com>
Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2003 9:26 AM
Subject: Re: New Park Horse Trail?

 Dear Denise,
I am seriously considering attending the 2003 SETC if I can swing it
financially. I looked on the web-site and the hotel is reasonable, but
I did not see a registration fee.

I plan to focus my thesis on equestrian impact of trails, ie. how often,
when, duration, etc. on a trail that has been suggested by my professor.
   I think it would also be beneficial to look at a local trail system
that has low to moderate use for comparison.

According to Gene Wood, Clemson University, he wrote to me and stated
that "the situation becomes more complicated when you consider,
ecosystem capacities to accommodate various uses and intensities of
those uses. Ecosystem capacities are determined by topography, geology,
soils, hydrological conditions, climate, and the nature of the biotic
community. Within ecosystem capacity, trail capacity becomes determined
by design, construction, and maintenance. Regulation controls impacts by
controlling types of uses, intensity of use, and timing with respect to
the dynamics of ecological conditions, probably the most important of
which is soil moisture content."

With this is mind, the trail system my professor suggested I look at and
research, has been the focus of another student's research on hiking and
camping impacts. They believe that my research on the equestrian impact
will be helpful to the parks and recreation management in that area.

I am in the process of narrowing down the topic and I have written a
term paper that is the foundation for the thesis. I am attaching it for
your review. Please keep in mind that this is paper has NOT been
reviewed by my graduate committee, but the topic subject has been
approved. I am still in the literature review stage. I plan to submit
the first chapter to them by the end of June. However, it will be the
middle of August before the Committee meets to formally approval the
first three chapters of the thesis.

I will keep you updated on my progress. Thank you so very much for all
your help. The outpouring of information from others and offers to help
has been phenomenal.

Best regards,
Teresa Billings
Graduate Student, OSU
Leisure Studies Management

GaTrail wrote:
 Denise...
Thanks for responding.
SETC 2003 is being held in Florida this year. However, in 2004 Georgia
will be hosting and we are in the early stages of developing our format.
Attached you will find our logo for 2004....our Theme is "Tomorrow's
Trails through Education, Communication and Preservation." I am passing
this on to our Program Chairperson.
I do belief this would be a viable topic...under education or
communication. Could you come up with an idea that you would like to
present along these lines in regards to your specialty.....and we can
see where it might fit into our format for 2004.
Thanks again,
Sharon King