Welcome Guest!
 US-ETC
Shawnee...have you voted yet????  GaTrail
 Jun 07, 2003 18:48 PDT

------=_NextPart_000_0003_01C32D3E.96225300

Even if the numbers are skewed..there are still more folks against us
than for us..how do we unite??? Anyone out there got any ideas on how
equestrians can come together in support of "Horses on Trails??"
Throughout the country areas are being closed or limited to
horses..there are pockets of us all over who are trying to make a
difference but are numbers are few compared to the thousands of trail
riders, and we have been unable to come together as a united voice.and
we are NOT BEING HEARD.

Mountain Biking only became popular in the last 15-20 years, horses have
been on trails for centuries. Yet when you do a search for trail
advocacy on the internet mountain bike sites are the first to come up.
Why can they do it and we can't? What are the differences between our
two groups..we both enjoy our sport on trails...why have they become the
experts..getting things done, opening new trails, etc?

Yes, there may be more folks that own bikes than horses..however, there
are still hundreds of thousands of folks who trail ride throughout the
country. One thing I see is that equestrians tend to be a reactive
group (in general) instead of proactive. Many trail riders and
equestrian organizations state that they support trails and equestrian
access..but how many actually make this one of their main focuses. How
many groups or individuals are members of the United States Equestrian
Trails Coalition, how many have attended the Southeastern Equestrian
Trails Conference, the Ohio Valley Equestrian Trails Conference, or the
National Trails Symposium? Does your group have monthly workdays to
construct and maintain trails and are YOU present on those workdays? Has
the group you are involved with developed a working relationship with
land mangers to promote and build equestrian trails and do you support
these efforts physically and/or financially? Are you or your
organization a member of your state's Horse Council and encouraging them
to support "Horses on Trails" and our continued access? How are we as
individuals or as a group educating the uniformed and future equestrians
on proper trail etiquette and the protection of the lands we ride on?

So many questions..does anyone have any answers? We must starting
communicating and coming together in order to make a difference.

As our cities and population continues to grow and consume all available
private lands..all that will be left in the future are our public lands,
if we continue to loose access to these where will the future trail
riders be able to go?

Ask yourselves these questions before you say this is not my
problem..I'll let the other guy worry about this for me..all I want to
do is ride. Well guess what, YOU are the other guy...and you must make
this your problem..if you want to continue to enjoy the trails with your
equine companion.

Make a Difference..."GET INVOLVED THE WORLD IS RUN BY THOSE THAT SHOW
UP.AND ARE INFORMED"

Thanks for letting me vent..

Sharon King gatr-@bellsouth.net

------=_NextPart_000_0003_01C32D3E.96225300

<head>
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=us-ascii">

<!--
/* Style Definitions */
{margin:0in;
margin-bottom:.0001pt;
font-size:12.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
{color:blue;
text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
{color:purple;
text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
{font-family:Arial;
color:windowtext;
font-weight:normal;
font-style:normal;
text-decoration:none none;}
@page Section1
{size:8.5in 11.0in;
margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in;}
div.Section1
{page:Section1;}
-->

</head>

font-family:Arial'>Even if the numbers are skewed….there are still more
folks against us than for us….how do we unite???  Anyone out there
got any ideas on how equestrians can come together in support of “Horses
on Trails??”  Throughout the country areas are being closed or
limited to horses….there are pockets of us all over who are trying to
make a difference but are numbers are few compared to the thousands of trail
riders, and we have been unable to come together as a united voice…and we

font-family:Arial'>Mountain Biking only became popular in the last 15-20 years,
horses have been on trails for centuries.  Yet when you do a search for
trail advocacy on the internet mountain bike sites are the first to come up.   Why
can they do it and we can’t?  What are the differences between our
two groups….we both enjoy our sport on trails…..why have they

font-family:Arial'>Yes, there may be more folks that own bikes than horses….however,
[...]

font-family:Arial'>So many questions….does anyone have any answers?
We must starting communicating and coming together in order to make a

font-family:Arial'>As our cities and population continues to grow and consume
all available private lands….all that will be left in the future are our
public lands, if we continue to loose access to these where will the future

font-family:Arial'>Ask yourselves these questions before you say this is not my
problem….I’ll let the other guy worry about this for me….all
I want to do is ride.  Well guess what, YOU are the other guy…..and you
must make this your problem….if you want to continue to enjoy the trails

font-family:Arial'>Make a Difference…..“GET INVOLVED THE WORLD IS

------=_NextPart_000_0003_01C32D3E.96225300--