Welcome Guest!
 VT
Re: Feldman, Josquin, Mozart  bill berkson
 Oct 14, 2011 10:02 PDT
 Dear Ian,

Best to take Feldmanıs remark at face value. He means what the words say:
Neither Josquin nor Mozart push anything but what is to be heard, while
putting within your hearing everything that the music could want, including
edginess, sublimity, even an occasional vulgarity. Perhaps the word ³push² is
exotic for you, where for a New Yorker like Feldman (and me) it has certain
natural connotations­­among them, intrusion of some (extraneous, non-musical)
agenda, demonstration of effort (both Jıs &Mıs sprezzatura defies that), and
any other type of forcing (³forcing the issue,² as we say).

Clear enough?

Cheers,
Bill Berkson

Hello ladies and gentlemen,

This interview excerpt from 1966 occasionally occupies my thinking. I am very
interested in your opinions and thoughts as to why Feldman selected Josquin
and Mozart as his examples here. I have a very detached relationship to both
composers, but each time I am conscious of hearing their music, the Feldman
quote comes to mind.

L: What other composers do you admire or have an interest in?
MF: Josquin ... Mozart. I like that particular type of music that does not
push.

http://www.cnvill.net/mfopus2.htm

Best regards,
Ian