Welcome Guest!
 w internees
Article abiout Eric Liddell in Shanghai Daily  MTPre-@aol.com
 Jan 15, 2007 11:32 PST

____________________________________
   Hero honored By Douglas Williams 2007-1-13
____________________________________
   Change font size: (javascript:ContentSize('11','20'))
(javascript:ContentSize('14','16'))   (javascript:ContentSize('16','25'))
    -- Advertisement --
(http://total.shanghaidaily.com/ad/clk/code.asp?id=9&catalog=19&url=http://live.shanghaidaily.com/)
Olympic gold medal-winning runner Eric Liddell will be celebrated tonight in
a show called "Beyond the Chariots," looking at the man's life and faith,
from when he returned to China until his untimely and sad demise, writes
Douglas Williams.

There was no small amount of hype surrounding Eric Liddell in the run- up to
the 1924 Paris Olympics. The British public was quietly confident that their
lightning-fast sprinter, born in Tianjin in 1902, would bring home gold in
the 100 meters.

He did bring home gold, but not for the 100 meters.

Liddell's Scottish father, a missionary working in China, had instilled in
him a strong faith that was to be tested to the limit in Paris that summer.

One of the qualifying heats for the 100m final fell on a Sunday, the
Sabbath, and Liddell refused to take part. One Sunday, one race, Olympic gold at
stake and the hopes of a nation - but the Edinburgh University undergraduate
would have none of it. As a strict evangelical, he would simply not race on the
Sabbath. He would, however, run in the 400 meters, a distance he had never
competed at but which didn't have heats on Sundays.

Astonishingly he won, took gold and smashed the world record in the process.
His refusal to run the 100m was big news but his victory sent shockwaves
around the world.

It inspired the film "Chariots of Fire," which won four Oscars, and the
one-man show "Beyond the Chariots" by Rich Swingle, which plays tonight in
Shanghai.

"Beyond the Chariots" looks at Liddell's life beyond the Olympics when he
returned to China to initially teach science at the Tianjin Anglo Chinese
College and later serve as a missionary like his father. He was ordained as a
minister in 1932.

"Despite all the fame and adulation he was showered with after the Olympics
and all the career opportunities that were presenting themselves at the time,
Liddell chose to return to China and teach," says Swingle who has performed
his show off Broadway, across the States, Canada and in Hong Kong. He has
also performed the show in front of Liddell's three daughters who now live in
Canada.

"His daughters told me they found the show a cathartic experience," says
Swingle. "It brought them a sense of closure."

Liddell sent his wife and daughters from their Tianjin home to safety in
Canada in 1941 with war encroaching.

Swingle, also a runner, is returning to the Chinese mainland for the first
time in 20 years. "I competed in an International Sports Exchange program in
Guangzhou in 1986. It was a great experience and it was then that I heard
about the Liddell story. It has fascinated and inspired me ever since," says the
native New Yorker.

As a competitive runner, Swingle listened to the "Chariots of Fire" Vangelis
soundtrack before races.

"Liddell was obeying his calling when he returned to China, it was what God
wanted him to do, or so he believed," says Swingle, an actor.

Liddell taught and worked as a missionary in the Tianjin area until he was
interned in a Japanese concentration camp in Weifang, Shandong Province, in
1943.

"Even as a prisoner Liddell continued teaching and carrying out pastoral
duties," says Swingle who bares a remarkable similarity to Liddell. "In our
research we've met several of his students from both his time in Tianjin and in
the camp and they all say he was an inspiring teacher."

The show looks at how Liddell gets on with one of his students in the camp,
the fictional Maiker, a Chinese who is also played by Liddle. "The two have a
volatile relationship, with Maiker holding some resentment towards Liddell
due to familial history. Maiker is basically anti-Westerner," explains
Swingle.

"In the show I want to show that although there were Westerners who came to
China to merely exploit the country, Liddell wasn't one of them. The same is
true today, while some are here for their own ends, many aren't," says
Maiker.

"I also hope to get across some of Liddell's philosophy. He was a great
believer that if something is worth doing then it's worth doing well. I also
think the message of Liddell's life is to love each other wholeheartedly no
matter where we come from."

Liddell died in the camp in 1945, six months before the end of the war, from
a brain tumor brought on by overwork and malnourishment. He is interred in
the Mausoleum of Martyrs in Shijiazhuang, Hebei Province.

Time: January 13, 8pm

Venue: Community Center Shanghai, 568 Julu Rd

Tel: 6247-2880

Tickets: Free

()

____________________________________