Welcome Guest!
 Wellness Weekly
Health Questions & Answers #60 ~ [Issue 0105-4]  Wellness Weekly
 Jan 28, 2005 07:48 PST

Q & A #1:
How can I get my child to try different fruits and vegetables?

The most important way to get your child to eat and try more fruits
and vegetables is to be a role model and let them see you eat your
fruits and vegetables every day. Include them in the shopping and let
them pick out new fruits and vegetables to try. Also, have a large
supply of fruits and vegetables at home - whether they are fresh,
frozen, canned, or in juice form - so if they available for snacking.
Cut fruits and vegetables into different shapes and sizes and even
dip them in low-fat fruit and vegetable dips. Have your child keep
track of all the different fruits and vegetables that they try!

Q & A #2:
Is it okay for my child to occasionally skip breakfast?

Have you heard the phrase that "Breakfast is the most important meal
of the day?" Well it is true! Children learn better if they eat
breakfast every day. It fuels their bodies with important nutrients
and keeps them from getting morning tummy aches. And if they eat
breakfast, it helps to control the urge to snack or eat a big lunch.
Some quick, easy ideas for a yummy breakfast are cereal with milk and
fruit, peanut butter on whole wheat toast, bagel with cheese, oatmeal
with fruit, and pita bread and yogurt.

Q & A #3:
I have problems digesting dairy products. Are there other
calcium-rich foods that I could try to make sure that I get all the
calcium that I need?

As you probably know, calcium is important for strong bones and teeth
and in helping your muscles work right. If you do not get enough
calcium, you will lose it from your bones and they will become weak
and break easily. Most adults need 1,000 to 1,500 milligrams of
calcium each day. Try these calcium-rich foods to make sure you get
all the calcium that you need everyday: broccoli, kale, turnip
greens, almonds, sardines, calcium-fortified orange juice,
calcium-fortified cereals, lactose-reduced or lactose-free milk,
yogurt (can be easier to digest in small amounts).

Q & A #4:
What is gelatin?

The word gelatin comes to us from the French word geatine meaning
"edible jelly" and gelato meaning "to freeze." In Italian, it is
gelatina. An odorless, colorless, tasteless thickening agent is the
nutritious glutinous protein material obtained from animal tissues by
boiling. Most comes from beef bones, cartilage, ligaments, tendons,
and pigskin. However, there exists a variety of substances that are
non-animal derived and possess the same properties as gelatine such
as: cellulose (amid), agar-agar (derived from seaweed), biobin, guar
gum, xanthan, carob fruit, and others.