Welcome Guest!
 Wellness Weekly
Depression-Blasters for Overcomers ~ [Issue 0205-3]  Wellness Weekly
 Feb 16, 2005 12:40 PST

10 DEPRESSION-BLASTERS FOR OVERCOMERS
by Patricia Wagner

Have you ever fought a battle with depression? I've had my battles
with mental misery and it's no fun!

It's incredibly difficult trying to succeed in your business or in
building relationships when depression has you cowering under its
torrential rains of gloom. When you're depressed it takes much of
your energy just trying to survive your inner battles with the blues.
This can cause you to become absentminded - thus sabotaging your
ability to succeed in your career or in a needed relationship.

That's bad news! However, I've discovered a winning strategy to
overcome the dark storms of depression. This article offers 10
depression-blasters that can help blow the clouds of gloom away.

Here's my list of powerful anti-depression weapons:

1. Turn your focus from yourself to others.

If you're focused on yourself, the view is too small. It's the view
that counts! Are you near-sighted? Even if you don't feel like
focusing on other people's needs and how you can help them, do it
anyway. You will be in for a surprise!

2. Take care of your health.

Depression can be aggravated by failure to take care of our basis
health needs. Be sure to get enough sleep, exercise and eat healthy
foods.

3. Simplify your life.

Trying to keep up with others' standards of living can be very
depressing. Instead of trying to get more and more stuff, try
simplifying your life. Henry Thoreau wisely observed: "Our life is
frittered away by detail... Simplify, simplify."

4. Say "goodbye" to destructive thoughts.

It's been said that we are what we eat. It's also true that we become
what we think. Thomas Jefferson advised that "nothing can stop the
man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing
on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude."

5. Learn the art of true friendship.

Thomas Jefferson also believed that "Friendship is precious, not only
in the shade, but in the sunshine of life."

6. Repair Your Bridges.

Where possible make things right. Tell those you've wronged that you
are sorry and ask for forgiveness.

7. Seek medical advice if needed.

Depression can be increased by conditions such as low levels of
thyroxin and hormonal changes.

8. Forgive.

Don't hold grudges. Unforgiveness destroys the unforgiving person. It
never helped anyone.

9. Be thankful.

If anyone had a reason not to be thankful it was Helen Keller. At
nineteen months of age she lost her sight and hearing as a result of
an illness. But this was her attitude toward her handicaps: "I thank
God for my handicaps, for through them, I have found myself, my work
and my God." In spite of her severe limitations, she become an author
and traveled over the world as a spokeswoman on behalf of the disabled.

10. Use the owner's manual.

The Bible is the owner's manual for mankind. For example, in the book
of Proverbs you'll find a goldmine of inspired advice on how to
succeed in life and business written by one of the wisest and richest
men who ever lived - King Solomon.

Are you living under gloomy skies of mental misery? When dark clouds
of depression come into your life, blow them away with these 10
powerful depression-blasters.

Patricia Wagner offers informative tips on living a more
energetic lifestyle at http://www.a-to-z-wellness.com. She
is also an artist and you can view her original paintings
at http://www.artbywagner.com.