Welcome Guest!
 Wellness Weekly
7 Health Benefits of Green Tea ~ [Issue 0406-1]  Wellness Weekly
 Apr 07, 2006 09:24 PDT

7 HEALTH BENEFITS OF GREEN TEA
Copyright 2005 by Patricia Wagner

Want to enhance your health in surprising ways? Drink green tea.

We are not talking about a new health discovery here. This beverage
has been used for thousands of years by the Chinese. It has proved
itself for centuries as worthy of being included in our diet for its
health properties.

Not only has this drink been endorsed for ages, but modern science
also has discovered astonishing facts about what it may be able to do
for your health.

There are a lot more benefits to drinking green tea than are listed
below, but here are seven:

1. Drink it to help shed extra pounds.

A study published by the "American Journal of Clinical Nutrition" in
November, 1999, is encouraging. It shows that this drink may enable
people to burn more calories.

2. This ancient brew may help combat signs of aging.

That is because it contains large amounts of vitamins E and C which
are antioxidants. Antioxidants have the reputation of being able to
combat free radicals that damage cells. Cancer, heart attacks, and
diabetes can result from damaged cell membranes.

In April, 1999, researchers at Case Western Reserve University in
Cleveland revealed that green tea may ease the symptoms of rheumatoid
arthritis.

3. This drink may help asthma sufferers.

Because it contains theophylline (a muscle relaxant), it can help the
muscles surrounding bronchial tubes to relax. This helps asthma
sufferers to breathe with less restriction.

4. Green tea may help lower blood pressure.

High blood pressure makes you susceptible to heart attack and stroke.
This ancient brew may also keep blood clots from forming.

5. Green tea has been reported to help in the fight against cancer.

Doctors from the prestigious Mayo Clinic found that green tea extract
given to four leukemia patients seemed to help three of them
experience regression of the disease. And even the fourth patient
showed some improvement. The reason the doctors tried green tea
extract is that a 2004 test tube study showed that leukemia cells
were killed by the extract.

By the way, in Japan there are fewer reported cancer deaths. Could it
be because the Japanese drink a lot of green tea?

6. Drinking this beverage my help lower cholesterol.

Lowering cholesterol with no side effects has been reported in
studies using green tea. Your ability to fight heart disease and ward
off stroke is tied in with your cholesterol count.

7. This brew may help your body fight infections.

The "New York Times" reported in April of 2003 that the immune
system's ability to fight disease may be strengthened by drinking
green tea. Microbiologist Milton Schiffenbauer, professor at Pace
University (New York) stated, "Our research shows tea extracts can
destroy the organism that causes disease. If we can stimulate the
immune system and at the same time we are destroying the organisms
then it makes sense to drink more tea."

Now that you have learned 7 ways green tea has been shown to help
your health, why not give it a place in your daily diet? It is not a
magic cure, but this proven ancient beverage may just help you to be
healthier.

Patricia Wagner offers informative tips and a newsletter to help you
live a more energetic lifestyle. Check out A to Z Wellness at
http://www.a-to-z-wellness.com/healthy-foods.htm. She is also an
artist and you can view her original paintings at
http://www.artbywagner.com