Welcome Guest!
 wtr-s
Sheehan's WTR speech  Clare Hanrahan
 Aug 09, 2005 20:51 PDT

Excerpt from Cindy Sheehan speech at
Veterans for Peace convention in Dallas, Texas

"...Another thing that I'm doing is - - my son was killed in 2004, *so
I'm not
paying my taxes for 2004. If I get a letter from the IRS, I'm gonna say,
you know what, this war is illegal; this is why this war is illegal. This
war is immoral; this is why this war is immoral. You killed my son for
this. I don't owe you anything. And if I live to be a million, I won't
owe you a penny.
*And I want them to come after me, because unlike what you've been doing
with the war resistance, I want to put this frickin' war on trial. And I
want to say, "You give me my son, and I'll pay your
taxes."
I live in Vacaville, come and get me if you can find me there and put me
on trial, because like Camilo (Mejia), Camilo knew what was right. And he
went to prison for that. And Henry David Thoreau he went to prison, he
refused to pay his poll tax, and Emerson, I call them HT and RW, and RW
came to visit HT and said what are you doing here, buddy? And HT said,
why aren't you here? This is the only place for a moral person in an
immoral world.
It's up to us, the people, to break immoral laws, and resist. As soon as
the leaders of a country lie to you, they have no authority over you.
These maniacs have no authority over us. And they might be able to put
our bodies in prison, but they can't put our spirits in prison. And I
know that Camilo came out a much stronger person, he's one of my heroes,
it's great a row of heroes in front of me here...."