Welcome Guest!
 wtr-s
RE: Details on the IRS's new W-4 policy  NWTRCC
 Dec 28, 2005 17:30 PST

I looked into some other sites about this W-4 policy business, including
questions and answers on the IRS site:
http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=139412,00.html. Robert may
be right that it's not a "big" change, partly in the sense that most
salaried wtr's hit the roadblock when a levy comes - are they going to
stay or go? If the IRS asks that the allowances be changed before a
salary is garnished, the wtr employee again has to decide whether to
stay or go or how to deal with it.

What seems different to me is that the IRS used to ask employers to send
in a W-4 with more than 10 allowances or "exempt" if the person didn't
seem to qualify. The bar was kind of high for enforcement. We knew that
policy was dropped, but with the new emphasis by the IRS on
under-withholding, the enforcement - IRS telling the employer to change
the allowances to withhold more - could hit more people who just take
one or two extra allowances so as to have something to resist at the end
of the year. The IRS is not relying on hearing about high numbers of
allowances so much as (supposedly) enhancing their tracking of income
reported on W-2's with salaried people who owe the IRS money at the end
of the year.

The other part of that article sent out by Moorlock (below in this
email) that I was thinking sounded more problematic was this "lock-in"
letter following people to new jobs. Will the IRS institute these fines
faster on people they think are quitting jobs to avoid the change in
their W-4? On this topic I did not find references in the IRS site
specifically. I did see some other articles from payroll associations,
who are not particularly happy about all of this. They see it as more
paperwork than the previous process of just sending in questionable
W-4's (despite the IRS promoting that as paperwork reduction), plus they
are asking the question, how long do they have to keep the "lock-in"
info in their computers if an employee has left the job or quits. If
that person is rehired a year later and the "lock in" info has been
purged from their system, is the employer liable for the taxes if the
IRS notices that employee again? That seemed to be an open question.

As we've said, the main thing to watch is how this is being carried out
and enforced by the IRS and whether it appears to be a significant
change. Please respond if you think I have mixed things up here or have
other takes on the information available. And if you have received a
lock in letter, do you have any insight on this?

But I don't mean to get too tangled up in this either - keep our eyes on
the prize -
Ruth

National War Tax Resistance Coordinating Committee (NWTRCC)
PO Box 150553
Brooklyn, NY 11215
(718) 768-3420 * (800) 269-7464
Fax: (718) 768-4388